The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2000, 01:41 AM   #1
glockcop

just picked up my new mossy 500a from the gun shop. i am wanting to put on a siddle saddle and possibly some other stuff and was wondering if i could get some advice. besides the side saddle i was thinking maybe a pistol grip, speed feed stock and ghost ring sights ( are the factory ones any good?). i would like the fore stock that holds the flashlight to but that probably out of my price range at the moment, small town cop =(. thanks.

glockcop
Old December 5, 2000, 07:37 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'll save you some money here. Skip the stockless PG, chances are you'd be taking it off your shotgun after the first time you shoot it.

I trained hundreds of COs to shoot, including with a PG during an even more insane period of dept regulations. Most folks found the PG harder to qualify with,some found it impossible. As an instructor, I had to qualify to 90% to keep my certification. I did so, but it took more effort and lots more practice. And I STILL was more effective with a standard stock.

Few serious WIHTF types have any shotgun equipped with a PG only.

Of course, if you're referring to a shoulder stock with a PG, never mind....
Old December 5, 2000, 07:49 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, reread and realized I didn't answer all the queries.

GR sights are nice, and having extra ammo on hand can be crucial. I recommend going slowly, adding one mod at a time, and seeing what and how it affects the handling and performance of the shotgun.This will also gentle the damage done to your budget. ALL cops are underpaid, and the smaller depts seem to be the worst in this regard.

If I were setting up a shotgun for either a cruiser or HD tool, this is the order I'd do stuff in,and the stuff.

First, a stock that fit me, w/ or w/o a PG, but a shoulder stock for sure.

Get a clean,4-5 lb safe trigger. Most smiths can do this for a pittance,and maybe your dept has an armorer in more than name.

Extra ammo capacity, both an extended mag(Sorry, I have little experience with Mossys and don't know how many shells a 500 A holds) and some sort of carrier, either a butt cuff or a SS.

When I pick up my HD 870, there's ten rounds aboard, which should suffice for anything this side of WWIII.

Sights that work for me and the mission. Usually, the GRs are the best choice here,but good work has been done with a bead.

And a light.

Later one, you may want to consider some custom work like Vang and Wilson offer,or getting a good smith to lengthen the forcing cone. This aids patterns and cuts recoil a trifle.

Hope this helps...
Old December 5, 2000, 10:20 AM   #4
glockcop

thanks dave. yes i was refering to a pg w/stock. i dont think a pg only is a very good idea. thanks for the responses. what will the 4-5 trigger do? does anyone else know what a mosy comes with.

the mossy i have holds 8 in the tube. i will be putting a tacstar sidesaddle probably that holds 6. thats 14 rounds and if i use the speed feed stock that will add another 4. whew, 18 rounds of 00 buck. i better start working out =).

thanks again dave.

glockcop
Old December 5, 2000, 11:05 AM   #5
nedfig

A Mossy 500 can NOT have the mag tube extended. The way the barrel screws to the mag tube prevents this. 7+1 is a good start though and you didn't have to buy a $50 extension to get there I used to have the side saddle on mine but I took it off. I found that a web pistol belt with 2 or 3 12rd shell pouches works better for me.

I put the Mossberg factory GR sights on and they are excellent. IMO, I have used MMC and the Moss GR are superior (less expensive too) cheaperthandirt.com has them for the princely sum of $46.

Unless you do or think you will ever do any night shooting, the forend lights are nice, but unnecessary. deltaforce.com has a jig that holds a flashlight in the sidesaddle(@ $30). You loose one round in the ss but you save about 250 bucks, that will buy a LOT of 00 and #8.

Definetly do the forcing cone and trigger work. Shop around though. Vang and ST do great work i'm sure, but there are other smith's out there that will do it for MUCH less. Reducing the trigger pull helps with accuracy and is just a nice addition.

hope this helps.
Old December 5, 2000, 12:35 PM   #6
Jeff, CA

Mossbergs don't work too well with a pistol grip/shoulder stock, with their tang safety. You pretty much have to have your thumb up on top. Also, I found their ghost ring sights too high for the stock (or the stock too low).

Old December 5, 2000, 12:52 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're welcome, Glockcop. The lighter trigger aids control and fine work. Most factory triggers I've run across run from 6 to 10 lbs, a little heavy for best work. The Brits say that a trigger pull should be half of the gun's weight. Maybe, but I find that a clean safe trigger of 3-5 lbs works fine for me.

I suggest you do one thing at a time. Work with it after a mod, and see how it swings and functions. If all's well, move on to the next item.

FYI, my HD 870 has everything except a light. Adding a light changed a heavy(9 1/2 lbs, fully loaded) but balanced weapon into a pig. But see what works for you....
Old December 6, 2000, 10:02 AM   #8
jthuang

I believe Brownell's also has the factory Mossberg ghost ring set for about the same price as CTD. Just another data point for you!

Justin