The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 3, 2000, 08:09 PM   #1
PWK

Was going to do a search for this subject but the search feature is temporarily disabled. So do any of you all have any comments on break in procedure for an auto loader. I have just purchased a Browning Gold Hunter Field 28". I thoroughly cleaned it and then lightly oiled the action per the owners manual, then off to the skeet range. Huh, it jams or won't eject about a third of the time and consequently won't load the second round. Between rounds I took it to the cleaning house to oil the action better and it worked real well for 1/2 the round then back to the jamming. Any thoughts or should I just take it back to the dealer. I was using 2 3/4" #8 shot with 3 1/4 dram equiv. But that shouldn't matter because they are supposed to function regardless of load.
Old December 4, 2000, 08:23 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Is that one a gas auto? I'd check the gas system for dreck first, then clean and remove most of the lube,kinda wipe on,wipe off. See if that helps. And,I'd try a few boxes of heavier loads, to see if they work the gun in.

Gotta hunch here that it may need a little functioning to get best results with lighter loads.A hundred rounds or so of say, 3 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 oz of 8s will probably do it,then all lighter loads should function.
Old December 4, 2000, 03:48 PM   #3
JK

Daves advise was good. I too would first clean the gas piston and gas port. Do not lube the gas piston, leave it dry. Then try it with the shells that you have been using as well as some high base shells. Good Luck-John K
Old December 4, 2000, 05:49 PM   #4
PWK

Well I've calmed down. Talked with a local gun guru I know and he said basically the same thing, to clean the gas ports and work it in with some heavier loads. The loads I was using were only 7/8. So a more thorough cleaning and checking the gas ports should do it.
Thanks for the advice & responces.
Old December 8, 2000, 08:28 PM   #5
PWK

I thoroughly cleaned the gun, disassembling it as much as recommended by the owners manual. Took it out to the skeet range today and shot three rounds without one flawed shot. Man this Browning Gold really shoots easy. I was using heavy game loads #8 shot and it was a breeze to handle. I am now very pleased with my choise.
Old December 9, 2000, 05:21 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Great!! Always happy when things work out....