The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 23, 2011, 06:20 PM   #1
soreshoulder

Hello from upstate New York-Question

Over the years I've owned and fired many types of guns; but on a recent trip to the gun shop I saw one called Mossberg 695; I liked it's looks so I put it on layaway (in case I find something I like better). Does anyone know anything about this gun? Any and all comments welcome.
Old February 24, 2011, 01:44 PM   #2
jbaham

Hi I have a mossberg 695 slug gun with a fully rifled barrel and the barrel is ported. These are good guns I have had mine since I was 18 years old and still hunt with it I am currently 30 years old so this gun is working great at 12 years old.. Out to a hundred yards with a scope this gun will shoot as good as a few of my rifles will. I have tried at 150 -200 yards at my gun club and it shoots fairly well I hit where I was aiming. With open sights you should be fine to 100 yards but a scope would be good. I also live in NYS about 60 miles south of Buffalo.

jbaham
Old February 24, 2011, 03:56 PM   #3
zippy13

Greetings soreshoulder, and welcome aboard

Meaning no offense; but, since you're a newby, I'll assume you may not know that the gun was subject to a recall. The Model 695s recalled were produced in 1995-96, with serial numbers from M000101 to M015304.

Also, being a special purpose slug gun with a fully rifled barrel, it's intended to shoot the more expensive (and more accurate) sabot-type slugs. Is this the type of gun you were looking for?
Old February 24, 2011, 04:43 PM   #4
soreshoulder

Thanks all.

No offense taken--thanks for your input--I checked the numbers on my layaway receipt and they are outside the re-call; yes, I know the ammo is expensive---a box of 5 Lightfields is $17. I'm still mulling it over; I may end up with a .22 mag after reading the article in Hunting Magazine. The mini-14 ranch rifle also has me thinking.
Old February 24, 2011, 06:23 PM   #5
zippy13

New guns can be like puppies: Sometimes you set out looking for a new dog and other times you just come across one that you can't resist giving a new home.