The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 2, 2010, 07:38 PM   #1
cgbills

New toy DPMS 308 AP4

Just pick this up and can not wait to shoot it. Not sure what optic I am going to stick on it yet. Like the Leopold CQ/Ts but dont think I want to spend 900. Also an Acog is out. Also want more than a red dot. Maybe just pick up a nice low mag scope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dpms.JPG (16.3 KB, 169 views)
Old January 2, 2010, 11:22 PM   #2
EstillEngineer#59

thats looks like a great way to spend money
Old January 2, 2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Jimro

Burris Fullfield 2 tactical has some nice scopes that fit your optics requirements.

Jimro
Old January 2, 2010, 11:47 PM   #4
qwman68

since its a 308 i might consider putting a longer range scope on it.. anyway nice rifle. congrats
Old January 2, 2010, 11:54 PM   #5
cgbills

I would like the first level of magnification to be around 2. 3 maybe too high and is for sure the max. I want to be able to use it in CQB as well as at medium distance.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:59 PM   #6
Jimro

Lucky for you they make a 2-7 variable...

http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x35-Fullfi...ope-P5967.aspx

Jimro
Old January 3, 2010, 08:45 AM   #7
FamilyTruckster

Good choice! I went with the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5 on mine. If you skip the lighted reticle it's a bit cheaper but I use it more than I thought I would. With it your in the price range you don't want to be in....
Old January 3, 2010, 11:32 AM   #8
cgbills

I am not against buying good glass, it is just that I have bought too much recently lol. I can see spending $1,500 on glass for my Remington 700P, but not sure about 800-900 for my DPMS.
Old January 3, 2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Brenten

you saying that your DPMS is of low quality so it does not deserve good glass? I don't own any DPMS product, but am interested in hearing of your opinion on it.

Last edited by Brenten; January 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old January 3, 2010, 01:00 PM   #10
cgbills

No that is not what i am saying DPMS is low quality. The most noted difference between decent glass and great glass is at higher magnifications. My Bushnell elite 6-24x50 ($500) and my IOR 6-24x50 ($1500) are pretty comparable at the 6x magnification. Now increase that to 24x and the IOR is head and shoulders above the Bushnell. Since I am wanting a low powered scope, say maybe 1.5-6x, A decent scope will be comparable in clarity to one that costs twice as much because they are at lower magnification. Also I will not be doing 800+ yard shots with this rifle and doing observation at that distance either. Since the rifle will be used at close to medium range I do not need Great glass, but would be better served with decent glass in a scope that tracks well, is durable and holds its zero. I feel that for the intended use of the rifle decent glass will suffice just fine.
Old January 3, 2010, 01:27 PM   #11
tju1973

Congrats! I really want an LR308 Sportical once my Stag is paid off-- make sure you give us a range report and post picts if you "pimp" it out...

Also, don't take my word for it, but I think they may have issues with cheap surplus 7.62x51-- at least someone here or THR posted getting the bolt stuck after shooting some cheapo surplus stuff-- I think most ammo is "you get what you pay for"- treat her right!
Old January 3, 2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Brenten

cgbills, understood. The DPMS definitely looks quality.

tju1973, I have heard of that issue with more than just one AR. A friend of mine purchased a POF 308 5 months ago and he had the exact same issue, in fact he had to hammer the charge handle to get it to open and consequently dinged up the upper Not sure why he didn't use a mallet instead of a hammer but anyway, he had cheap surplus ammo do it to his gun and it is a $2500 gun, so I think it is just the ineherent super tight and accurate design that may cause these issues.

from noveskes own site on their 308 AR:

Quote:
This rifle is designed and intended for use with high quality 7.62x51 NATO ammunition. Some commercial .308 ammunition may not function through this rifle based on improper projectile design for a semi auto or the lack of a staked primer.

Last edited by Brenten; January 3, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:58 PM   #13
collector rob

When I get around to scoping my AP4, I will be mounting one of these.

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-T...ope-P9251.aspx
Old January 3, 2010, 05:46 PM   #14
silent_warrior

Quote:
Since I am wanting a low powered scope, say maybe 1.5-6x, A decent scope will be comparable in clarity to one that costs twice as much because they are at lower magnification. Also I will not be doing 800+ yard shots with this rifle and doing observation at that distance either. Since the rifle will be used at close to medium range I do not need Great glass, but would be better served with decent glass in a scope that tracks well, is durable and holds its zero. I feel that for the intended use of the rifle decent glass will suffice just fine.
My DPMS LPC in 5.56x45mm wears a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 Mil-Dot with see through flip open lense covers mounted on a B-Square quick detach riser mount. It's also wearing front and rear Promag flip up BUIS and a cheap laser, which I plan to replace with a CAA laser. All told, I paid $350 for the scope $35 for the mount, $100 for the set of flip up sights, and I had a set of rings laying around. Nikon scopes come with flip open lens covers, but I opted for a set of see through aftermarket ones for around $15.

I'm not sure if that helps you or not, but I think a similar setup would cover all your bases with the .308 if you aren't looking for a designated CQC red-dot. A variable scope in the 2-10x range would be excellent for any distance the .308 is capable of, with the exception of up close and personal, which is why mine is on a detachable mount over flip up iron sights. And as a last resort, point and shoot works pretty good when you can just about touch your target with a good sized stick.

Just my 2 cents.
Old January 4, 2010, 07:56 AM   #15
gotigers

how long is the gas system, Carbine or rifle? The big magazine throws my perception off.