The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 24, 2009, 01:08 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Hey guys, the hogs around here were brought in by the Spanish in the 15th century. That's 500 years ago! If they ain't wild by now I don't know what is.
yes this is what is the confusing issue in the terms... As I understand the 2 terms, if ever considered a domesticated creature, it is always feral once loosed. No matter how many centuries or generations pass...

On the flip side, take dogs for instance, coyote can be captured and released and still be wild rather than feral...

But a feral dog line originating from domestic dogs would, IMO, never be anything more than feral... not "wild" unless it is fox, yote, wolf, dingo etc...

Brent
Old December 24, 2009, 01:32 PM   #27
Hog Buster

Yeah, I get the drift. It's a good argument for a barroom, or for a rainy day, maybe when you're eating hog. Kinda like coydogs, are they wild or feral????
Old December 24, 2009, 01:57 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In general usage, "feral" means once-deomestic, now gone wild or native or whatever term suits.

SFAIK, more than any other animal, hogs regress in body shape/style toward the original configuration moreso and faster than any other species.
Old December 24, 2009, 02:01 PM   #29
Bigjim3

Looks like they did not go wee wee wee all the way home. Great haul, You might need a bigger truck
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old December 30, 2009, 08:51 AM   #30
Parabuteo

How Cajuns fight swine flu

I have hunted them all my life by about every means I could come up with, used to catch and move them in Florida too. In places in Alabama and over here in Georgia in some places Russian hogs have been turned loose and added to the mix. Now that makes that makes for some more agressive hogs that don't look or act like the spanish / feral cross hogs.
Old December 30, 2009, 09:09 AM   #31
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Hey guys, the hogs around here were brought in by the Spanish in the 15th century. That's 500 years ago! If they ain't wild by now I don't know what is.
Those are some old hogs. I didn't know that they lived so long.

So you think all hogs on the run were hogs released/lost by the Spanish and that every since the Spanish, people have managed to keep their hogs contained? That might be a bit naive given how much livestock gets loose with each hurricane that batters the state, when the rivers flood, and how many farmers/rancher lose track of the occasional animal, etc.
Old December 30, 2009, 09:56 AM   #32
rdmallory

Kinda looks like a load of nutria rats..

Doug
Old December 30, 2009, 11:31 AM   #33
Hog Buster

OO Spy

Yeah, we've got some pretty old hogs here, not to mention a few pigheaded folks.

The Spanish explorers brought hogs here as a food source in the 1500's, turned them loose and never settled here. The hogs multiplied until the 1700's when the French finally arrived. In 200 years I would think that the hogs became fairly well established before the arrival of settlers.

Census records from the 1700's show all kinds of information, men, women, children, slaves, Indians, horses, wagons, guns, cattle, barrels of salt, kegs of powder, etc., but no hogs. I would guess that they were so common and considered wild that no one listed them even if caught and penned.

Certainly in the years since then many domestic hogs have escaped, but with the numbers of wild (Spanish) ones most folks didn't raise hogs. If you had a taste for bacon it was too easy to shoot or catch one. The few domestics that escaped were quickly swallowed up by the number of wild ones.

This is evident by the shape and color of our wild hogs. Lean and long legged, very hairy they are gray to black with a reddish hue and straight tails. I have never seen any other coloration in the wild here, unlike Texas which has many spotted or light colored hogs. Obviously feral.

In years past I have caught a few wild shoats and pen raised them. They never get fat and never get totally over being a wild animal. They can be petted and scratched, but any sudden sound or movement sends them running.

Call them wild or call them feral, they are definitely not your barnyard escapee.
Old December 30, 2009, 12:22 PM   #34
Hog Buster

Parabuteo

Yeah, there were some Russians released east of New Orleans years ago and I've heard stories of some very large hogs being taken in that area. I haven't hunted there in many years, so can't say if the tales are true or not. Most of the area is in Orleans parish and hunting is no longer allowed, or at least the law is enforced now. Makes me wonder?
Old December 30, 2009, 07:11 PM   #35
Parabuteo

How the cajuns fight swine flu

Hog buster,
Yep, you know you are into them when the hogs just flat run almost like deer.
They want to catch and eat the dogs real bad too........they're pretty rough.
Take care.
Old December 30, 2009, 11:07 PM   #36
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Certainly in the years since then many domestic hogs have escaped, but with the numbers of wild (Spanish) ones most folks didn't raise hogs. If you had a taste for bacon it was too easy to shoot or catch one. The few domestics that escaped were quickly swallowed up by the number of wild ones.
So they aren't just Spanish hogs after all. However, it is interesting that you bring up the notion that so few people raised hogs because of the numbers of wild ones. Back around the turn of the 20th century, hog raising was a leading industry in your fine state. Imagine that.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Bto...aising&f=false (see page 40)

In 1910, The Louisiana Planter and Sugar Manufacturer noted that Louisiana should be able to produce all their own hogs on their own farms (page 229),
http://books.google.com/books?id=_uc...supply&f=false

although production has dropped off dramatically in the last 100 years...
http://stuffaboutstates.com/agricult...stock/hogs.htm

This source notes that Antebellum hog production in Louisiana was below the state's needs. So lacking was pork that it had to be shipped into the state!
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

Additionally, probably a lot of Louisiana's feral hogs came as a result of open range hog raising from the late 1800s to mid 1900s.
http://www.louisianafolklife.org/LT/...n_onepage.html

Quote:
Census records from the 1700's show all kinds of information, men, women, children, slaves, Indians, horses, wagons, guns, cattle, barrels of salt, kegs of powder, etc., but no hogs. I would guess that they were so common and considered wild that no one listed them even if caught and penned.
Or so uncommon to not list them. Absence of data to proclaim ubiquity doesn't really make sense.

So I trust if you will forgive me if I don't readily accept the notion that Louisiana's feral hog population is comprised of Spanish hogs, having such a high feral population that few folks raised domestic hogs. Yes, the Spanish brought them. So did the French. So did other Europeans. Even so, apparently there weren't enough such that folks bred, raised, and even imported them from elsewhere in the US to keep up with the state's needs.