The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 14, 1999, 11:40 PM   #1
phw

I recently purchased an IMI/Action Arms registered receiver uzi submachine gun. It has a parkerized finish and not baked on enamel. The front sight is adjustable for elevation and the rear sight is adjustable for windage. The left side of the receiver is stamped "SMG, IMI, serial # SAxxxxx, Made in Israel". The right side is stamped " Action Arms Ltd,......".

Is this a model B coversion? model A conversion? or a factory smg?. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old September 15, 1999, 09:06 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe I will get corrected by more knowlegable folks, but if the marking "SMG" is part of the IMI marking, it sounds like a factory SMG. Action Arms sounds like the importer, not a converter. If so, you are lucky and have a jewel.

Any one else have more knowledge than I?

Jim
Old September 16, 1999, 09:22 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Sounds like a factory weapon. If it is a conversion, the (conversion) maker's name,city and state must be put on the weapon and on the paperwork. Thus the maker would be "Joe Citizen" or Vollmer or ... instead of Action Arms and Made In Israel
Old September 16, 1999, 10:35 AM   #4
phw

Thanks for all the input. Could the prefix "SA" on the serial number mean its a Model A? Could one tell if its overstamped?
Old September 16, 1999, 05:41 PM   #5
Jeff OTMG

There is no 'A' or 'B' model sub gun. In semi auto Uzi carbines both the model A and model B had serial numbers that began 'SA'. The break came at SA037,000. In fact 'SA' is the prefix on semi auto carbines, it stands for semi auto. The mini carbines were marked 'MC' and the Uzi pistols started 'UP'. If it were a conversion it would have the Title II manufacturer information on the gun. It may be a parts gun built on an imported full auto receiver, but the 'SA' prefix is throwing me. This gun has a short barrel and fires multiple shots everytime you pull the trigger, right? You do have all the papers on this gun, right? You did pay the $200 tax, have your picture and fingerprints taken, and get CLEO sign off, correct?

[This message has been edited by Jeff OTMG (edited September 16, 1999).]
Old September 16, 1999, 06:29 PM   #6
phw

Jeff OTMG, The weapon is with my Class 3 dealer waiting for the transfer to be approved by ATF (Form 4, picture, fingerprints, CLEO sign-off, $200 tax). The serial number is SA57xxx which would put it in the Model B range. This would be consistent with the type of sights on the weapon. Could Action Arms Ltd have done the conversion and restamped the receiver "SMG"?
Old September 17, 1999, 01:22 AM   #7
Jeff OTMG

Okay, it is legal, you had me VERY worried there for a minute. To the best of my knowledged IMI did not to any conversions, EVER. They imported full auto versions for LE. Somewhere on the gun of yours there should be manufacturers information. It could be small, very small, but it will be on the receiver somewhere. Group Industries has just released a few thousand full auto UZI's onto the market, they run just at or right over $3000, but that are marked Group Ind. It will have the manufacturer on your paper work, but it is a semi auto model B conversion. Since it is a registered receiver gun it should be marked. The only way it wouldn't be is if there was a registered DIAS for it.
Old September 17, 1999, 05:01 PM   #8
phw

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond. I stopped by my C3 today and took a closer look. I am pretty sure now its a Model B conversion. Thanks again.
Old July 4, 2007, 07:18 AM   #9
Papa257

I know this thread has been sitting dormant for a while, but I had a notion that might be useful or at least interesting to others. I hope I'm not breaking a forums taboo.

Is it possible that this reciever was originally intended to be semi-auto and IMI built a full-auto weapon on it to beat the May '86 deadline for civilian full-autos?

Last edited by Papa257; July 4, 2007 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old July 4, 2007, 11:27 PM   #10
RJay

No
Old July 6, 2007, 03:30 PM   #11
john_galt

nice