The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 6, 2000, 08:37 PM   #1
Ron Ankeny

I was reading the duck recipies in one of the other posts and some of them sounded pretty good so I figured I would go get a duck and try one.

Well, I went out after work today and shot this big a$$ed duck. I kid you not, the thing is huge. The wing span is over five feet. I don't know what kind of duck it is but the critter is butt ugly. I shot it directly over head on a passing shot and it darn near hit me. The thing sure made a thump when it hit the ground.

When I got home I went over to work and borrowed a digital camera. I put my 28" Benelli on top of the duck and climbed up a step ladder to get far enough away to get the whole duck in the picture. The picture is shown below. Big duck isn't it?

Old October 6, 2000, 09:10 PM   #2
SnakeLover

Your "duck" definitely will be challenged to fit into a roaster pan!!

I assume you realize that this is not a duck. I can't tell from the picture, but it appears to be either a heron or a crane of some kind. I tried to enlarge the picture on my machine, though it made it blurry.

I can't believe you're shooting birds with all the big game seasons open in WY? I take it your units aren't open yet.
Old October 6, 2000, 10:27 PM   #3
Ron Ankeny

I kinda thought something was wrong when the critter didn't have webbed feet or a quacker. Seriously, today was the closing day of Sandhill Crane season so I slipped out after work and blasted one for the crock pot. Didn't draw an antelope permit this year. Elk season opens in three days and deer in 10 days. Crane and goose hunting is a great way to fill in between.

The part of Wyoming I live in is fantastic for waterfowl. In fact, I shoot ducks, geese, cranes, small game, antelope, deer, elk, and upland birds all within 30 minutes of my house.
Old October 7, 2000, 08:13 AM   #4
SnakeLover

So when you shoot a shoot a crane, do you have to use steel shot like waterfowl? The size makes me think you'd need to use something a bit larger that deuce shot. I suppose it tastes like chicken, right!

Just talked to my brother the other night and his elk and deer units both close next weekend, so he still has some work to do to fill the freezer.

Good luck on the upcoming big game season and in your pursuit of the winged game as well.
Old October 7, 2000, 12:38 PM   #5
Ron Ankeny

Yes, you use steel shot and shoot them close. I shot the one in the picture at about 25 yards or less with BB steel. Cranes taste exactly like Canada geese.
Old October 7, 2000, 03:19 PM   #6
BadMedicine

PS, Ron Ankeny probably knows this, but for anybody who has never gotten a crane DON"T EAT THE LEGS. They look big, and have soooo much meat on them, but you bite into the leg and it's like haveing a mouth full of guitar strings. So, just take the breast.
Old October 9, 2000, 03:03 PM   #7
Field-dressed

Ron, LMAO
I wasn't sure if you were kidding at first or not! I use BB's on cranes. I made some crane decoys and got a call to get them in close. Here's when I know they're close enough to shoot:I get scared and shoot them in self defense. You know you've made a clean kill when they thump to earth and their bill sticks to the hilt in the ground 'thoop!'