The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 20, 2002, 09:26 PM   #1
Hellequin

S&W Sigma trigger question...

Hi:

I own a SW9VE (Sigma series) and use it as my primary defense/carry weapon. The trigger on this gun works fine for me when shooting on combat drills, IDPA or IPSC.

When shooting PPC (mainly a accuracy competition) I get crappy scores because of the poor control I can achieve with this long and heavy trigger

The question is the following: Is there ANY way to improve the trigger pull from the SW (enhanced) Sigma series???

Thanks for all the help.
Old January 21, 2002, 08:37 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Find a smith who specializes in these guns and see what he can do. Just about any smith should be able to make it feel better. Wolff may sell a spring kit for it that might lessen the pull a little but I don't believe there's much that can be done for the length of pull. George
Old January 21, 2002, 09:26 AM   #3
Coop de Ville

Hi there, Hellequin.

I put a 3.5# striker spring in my 40E and it's been running a lot lighter.

A while back I did some work by shortening the two springs in the mainspring housing. I got the pull down to next to nothing (<1#). Problem was that it failed to reset consistently. So, S&W sent me a new mainspring housing. I won't mess around no more with it, especially because I carry it.

Try the lighter striker spring. The pull and reset is long... there's nothing you can change about that except get used to it.

Other than that, if you know a smith who you trust, they may be able to trim the springs reliably.

Also, remove that cotton thingy on the trigger spring.

Best, -Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old January 21, 2002, 04:40 PM   #4
Hellequin

Mr. Coop:

Where did you find the 3.5 striker spring???

Was it custom made or will I find it on a store??

I am a little afraid of using a lighter spring coz´I don´t know if it will bang the primers consistently...
Old January 21, 2002, 09:50 PM   #5
jim-alex

Hellequin:

Go to www.smith-wessonforum.com - do a search on "sigma trigger" in the semi-auto forum. There are a couple of strings with some info that you will find helpful - and maybe some useful "don'ts".

Regards
Jim
Old January 22, 2002, 08:04 AM   #6
Coop de Ville

Sorry about that Hellequin,

www.gunsprings.com

It's Wolff Springs, they have a lot of stuff.

Also, I got a heavier recoil spring from ISMI (do a search on the web). I use the Glock 23 spring in my Sigma, perfect fit.

As jim-alex said, check out the S&W forum.

Best, -Coop

I have had 0 light strikes with Blazer and Remington Golden Sabers. Don't know about other brands.
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old January 23, 2002, 08:01 PM   #7
Hellequin

Thank you everybody for all the help.