The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 23, 2001, 01:51 PM   #1
swampy

Restricted cyhlinder throats?

I have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible with 45Colt and 45ACP cylinders in which I shoot .452 dia. bullets. I guaged the cylinders, and basically, the cylinder throats are slightly smaller than the forcing cone and smaller than the bullet diameter.
The forcing cone appears to be .451. The 45Colt cylinder throat guaged at .450, and the 45ACP guaged at .451. On my other revolvers, the cylinder throat is larger than the forcing cone which is larger than barrel diameter. The idea of cylinder throats smaller than forcing cones/barrels is new to me, and seems contary to what is suppose to happen to the bullet at each point of flight. Has anyone run into this before, and is it something that needs correcting? Why did Ruger do this, and is this something Ruger will correct if the revolver is sent back? Thanks for you reply.
Old November 23, 2001, 03:16 PM   #2
Cactus

This seems to be quite common on the .45 cal. Rugers. I had Bowen open up the throats on my Blackhawk when I sent it to him for some other work. I would think that the undersize throats would have some detremental effect on the accuracy of the gun if you leave it alone.

As for Ruger opening them up, you may want to e-mail them and ask. Since this seems to be their standard, they may not do it or at least charge you. I would think that any decent local smith should be able to do the work for you at reasonable cost.
Old November 23, 2001, 03:25 PM   #3
BigG

Thought 45 Colt had .454 bullets? .450 sounds a little small...
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old November 23, 2001, 04:11 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Have seen quite a few undersized and even mixed sizes in S&W revolvers of late manufacture. Rough on accuracy and most of the tight throated chambered ones were more prone to leading.

Should be a warrentee fix.

Sam