The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 1, 2017, 12:41 PM   #1
C7AR15

Tools for the range

What tools do you carry in your gun box/bag ?

I'll start off with

1. Allen wrenches Metric, Imperial and Torx

2. Multi bit screwdriver set

Seems most tools I need are related to scope adjustment, mounts etc

what do you all carry ???????
Old October 1, 2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I usually shoot some flavor of 1911 pistol when at the range. I carry a multi-tool from Caspian Arms that has a variety of implements specific to the 1911. I also carry a couple of 10" long brass rods and a small hammer, for knocking out squibs, and a Gun Butter pen oiler.
Old October 1, 2017, 01:04 PM   #3
MarkCO

Instead, I take guns and gear (Warne Scopes and Burris Optics) that work and don't require me to fix them at the range.

I have all three Warne scope tools on my bench, only place I have ever needed them.
Old October 1, 2017, 02:52 PM   #4
C7AR15

MarkCo

Mark, you're the guy who always shows up and says :

Have you got a screw driver I can borrow , an Allen wrench , can I use your staple gun ? have you got any extra staples ? can I look through your spotting scope , do you have any extra ear muffs, how about a brass rod to knock out that squib, and a hammer too. Also can I borrow your cleaning rod, do have some patches I could use, some solvent too.
And , Can I buy some targets off you ?

Yup, you're that guy.
Old October 1, 2017, 03:28 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

There's a multi-tool in each vehicle; and all but one vehicle also has some type of screwdriver kit or assortment. So, unless I walk to the range, those are always on hand.
There's a 'Swiss Army Knife' in the range bag.
I keep a couple torx wrenches and a small SAE allen wrench set in the range bag.
Usually, there's a delrin punch in the bag. It's an "AR take-down pin" tool, but comes in handy for other things.

Most other tools are as-needed. For example, I have a custom front sight on a Marlin 336, and a rear sight on a muzzle loader that require the thinnest screw driver blades known to man. If I don't grab the correct screwdriver before heading to the range, then there's no adjustment happening. No other tool that normally travels to the range can do the job.

I always have some blue painters' tape in the bag, as well. It has various uses, but is most helpful in taping makeshift sunshades on scopes when the sun is behind the targets and low in the sky during winter and early spring.

Quote:
Instead, I take guns and gear (Warne Scopes and Burris Optics) that work and don't require me to fix them at the range.
...Because when they fail, they fail spectacularly!
Old October 1, 2017, 04:03 PM   #6
Kwik2010

Well I keep enough tools in my pickup to get me off the side of the road in case of emergency. But off the top of my head, within that box, I have a small set of precision screw drivers, a universal weapon multi tool, another multi tool, some brass punches of different sizes, a brass hammer, glock front sight tool, and a squib rod JIC. All that I've tossed in for range trips.
Old October 1, 2017, 06:05 PM   #7
JoeSixpack

I use to carry all sort of stuff, not any more.. the only thing I really found useful was a can of CLP spray and a cleaning rod.

I once bought some reman 9mm (zero), cases kept getting stuck in the chambers and had to be drivin out with a rod. the spray is good if a gun starts acting up.. it usually is not "my" gun that needs it but other peoples.

if a gun has a major failing at the range I would just toss it in the case and work on it later.. I ain't got time to being smithing at the line.
Old October 1, 2017, 06:38 PM   #8
MarkCO

Quote:
Mark, you're the guy who always shows up and says :

Have you got a screw driver I can borrow , an Allen wrench , can I use your staple gun ? have you got any extra staples ? can I look through your spotting scope , do you have any extra ear muffs, how about a brass rod to knock out that squib, and a hammer too. Also can I borrow your cleaning rod, do have some patches I could use, some solvent too.
And , Can I buy some targets off you ?

Yup, you're that guy.
Actually, I am the guy who helps out everyone else who is not prepared. Targets, tape, staplers, spare triggers, shotgun parts, BCGs, etc live permanently in my truck. I have probably given away $2K worth of parts over the last 15 years of shooting...but I have never needed any of those parts, or tools. Shooting 30-40K a year over the last 15 years or so, never needed to fix a gun at the range that was mine.
Old October 1, 2017, 11:22 PM   #9
Metal god

This is what I bring

I use the stuff less then my friends and fellow shooters at the range . Likely because I try to keep my firearms in peak working condition so I tend not to need the tools as much . Sure is nice to have them when you need them though .

I'm that guy though that brings way more then I generally need . Usually takes 3+ trip to the truck to get all the stuff . My range bag not including ammo weighs 20lbs easy . I've got spotting scope , tripod , front and rear bags , binder , rags , tools , staple gun , 2 pairs of shooting glasses , ear muffs , and more all in one bag .

This is on my firearms short list of next things to buy that isn't a firearm
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-02080...le+Work+Center

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 1, 2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old October 1, 2017, 11:57 PM   #10
Cirdan

Spare batteries for the optics
Staple gun for targets
Staples
Cleaning rod to clear jams (case caught in firing chamber)
Bore Snake
Spare hearing protection
Knife
Multi-tool

Pretty much anything I wish I had on an earlier range trip. . .
Old October 3, 2017, 12:34 AM   #11
C7AR15

Metal god

Thanks for the picture,

What are the items in the top right compartment?

Your selection of tools is very close to mine. When I try to lighten load by leaving things out, that's when you miss them
Old October 3, 2017, 01:23 AM   #12
Metal god

Bore light , empty chamber indicator , mini screwdriver with bits inside , small socket/nut drivers . small magnifying glass .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 4, 2017, 11:42 PM   #13
jugornot

My range bag weighs about 70lbs. All screwdrivers and bits. Hammer and punches. Fat wrench. Bags, bipods, ammo, cleaning kit, boresnakes, oil, solvent grease locktite, anything else I might need. Most used is the fat wrench for checking torque. My rifles loosened before pink locktite was applied.
Old October 5, 2017, 06:51 PM   #14
Green Lantern

We had a practice when we raced. "Do your homework, at home"

We still took some minor tools but no real work tools.

I take plenty of rounds, gun oil, and paper plates for targets. Allen wrenches that came with the guns and accessories.
Old October 5, 2017, 07:31 PM   #15
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god
I'm that guy though that brings way more then I generally need . Usually takes 3+ trip to the truck to get all the stuff . My range bag not including ammo weighs 20lbs easy . I've got spotting scope , tripod , front and rear bags , binder , rags , tools , staple gun , 2 pairs of shooting glasses , ear muffs , and more all in one bag .
Three trips? That's just good cardio.

I bring a whole trail of stuff too. I've help an old fellow remount his scope only to have his wife thank me on the way out "That was so nice! He has dementia and needs the help." People approach me to ask how their sights work. A young fellow brought his little girl to the range, but his ar kicked too much for her, so I gave him a 5 ounce buffer and she had a nice time.

I'm a poor enough marksman that I get as much satisfaction from helping the even more hapless than I do my usual session.

Just because some one comes to the range unprepared doesn't mean he is irredeemable; it just means that he is not yet fully assimilated.

Last edited by zukiphile; October 6, 2017 at 07:53 AM. Reason: mistaken identity
Old October 6, 2017, 01:47 AM   #16
Metal god

Zuk not sure you care but your quote was from me

I do the same thing . If I'm at the range for load development I get tunnel vision and tend to stay in my own world . How ever If I'm there just to shoot . I find my self at times all over the line helping people ( when asked ) or if it's obvious they are having trouble I'll walk up and ask if they need help .

There was this one time ( at ban camp ) these guys were trying to sight in a scope . They were there for at least 1-1/2 hours shooting round after round and messing with the scope every round pretty much . I finally walked over and asked how's it going . They said they were trying to sight it in but could not get on paper . I ask if I could help and had them on paper in about 5 min and 2 shots . They thanked me and I went back to shooting .

The smiles on there faces as they shot and could now see where they were hitting was great to see . When they were leaving I asked how was the rifle shooting and they said great and thanked me again . They then said they came out the weekend before and never got on paper . Well that explained those huge smiles and why they looked so frustrated before I helped . They almost went two whole weekends of shooting with never actually being on paper .

That's the biggest thing I find my self helping with at the range . Helping sighting in someone's new rifle and I love doing it .

Old October 6, 2017, 03:50 PM   #17
xcc_rider

I bring my cleaning kit (30 cal can) a couple screwdrivers and whatever else is in my truck boonie box.
Nothing more needed.
Old October 7, 2017, 02:53 PM   #18
cw308

What I keep in my range bag , a 100 count bullet box with cleaning patches for that day , a pin point oiler filled with bore cleaner , allen keys just incase something comes loose , parker hale jag & a stuck case remover. Also carry a bore guide , rear bag , three small towels for the bench , Im shooting off a bi - pod . The Leathermam tool for just in case you have to fix something crazy , ear plugs , ammo box with 30 rounds of reloads for that day & let's not forget wool shooting gloves when this baby's hands get cold. My one piece cleaning rod is attached to my hard case. That's about it.
Old October 7, 2017, 03:46 PM   #19
ShootistPRS

Screw driver handle and a selection of bit to cover Torx, Allen head, slotted and Phillips, a set of punches, a small hammer, cleaning supplies including brushes, bore brushes, patch eyes and patches, a few jags, oil and bore cleaner, bore light, and some shop towels. I also have a couple of front sight tools for AR and SKS rifles.
Old October 7, 2017, 05:34 PM   #20
SauerGrapes

Small screwdrivers {flat and phillips}
6 pc allen wrench set
6'' brass rod
cleaning rod and few brushes

Never saw the need for lots of stuff. I really try to keep it simple.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old October 7, 2017, 05:35 PM   #21
Brassguy

Sunscreen
A Bucket for range brass
Garbage bags
Sharpie marker
Old October 8, 2017, 10:13 AM   #22
Brassguy

I usually also have a cheap laser pointer to help with pointing out points of impact when helping new shooters