The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 4, 2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Deer hunter88

Ruger american

What is everyone’s thoughts and opinions on the ruger american chambered in the .270 Winchester? Thinking about buying one for next year to use for whitetail deer.
Old October 4, 2017, 06:56 PM   #2
reynolds357

My only gripe with the American was the crappy stock flexing too much. I understand the new stocks are much better. They are dependable and very accurate.
Fyi, there are already threads on here that discuss everything and anything about the American.

Last edited by reynolds357; October 4, 2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old October 4, 2017, 10:41 PM   #3
jmr40

The bedding system in the stock does not require a stiff stock. It can be as flexible as a wet noodle and accuracy won't be affected as long as the forend doesn't contact the barrel. There is enough of a free float to prevent that. The stocks sit inside a metal V block, no part of the plastic stock is in contact with either the action or the barrel. Older designs required a stiff stock for the recoil lug to sit inside of for accuracy. The American doesn't even have a recoil lug. Many shooters can't seem to grasp that.

I think the Americans are the best deal going right now in a hunting rifle. But I'd strongly suggest one of the short actions over a long action. The rifles are well under 7 lbs, closer to 6 lbs and the long action versions just have too much recoil in a rifle that light. And with modern loads you gain nothing, a 7-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor will match or beat anything you can do with a 270 with 30-35% less recoil.

Read this thread in the hunting section.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=590070

Winston Churchill
Old October 4, 2017, 10:51 PM   #4
reynolds357

Accuracy was very much affected in the orig. Stock. Properly load a bipod with one and watch your group fly away.
Old October 4, 2017, 10:58 PM   #5
Mr. Hill

I hear good things about that American rifle, and the .270 is a killer deer caliber. Go for it!
Old October 5, 2017, 02:39 AM   #6
stagpanther

I bought .270 American when it first came out--right out of the box with American Whitetail ammo it shot MOA or less. Heck of a rifle for a budget gun IMO--I love the safety and trigger designs. If you don't like the tupperware effect--a stiffie job for the foreend will fix that for less than $20.Fill the channels with RC7 or Marinetex, grind back a bit and it won't contact your barrel--even when on a bipod (unless you press from the top of the rifle down).
Old October 5, 2017, 09:33 AM   #7
Tallest

Two Thumbs Up!

Just last week, I bought a RAR in 7mm-08, and it's shooting <1" groups at 100 yds with 140 grn Nosler ballistic tips. It is not a heavy rifle at all, and you can feel the recoil, but it is what I would call a benign, happy love tap. Doesn't hurt at all. For what I spent, I think I got a heck of deer slayer!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old October 5, 2017, 10:13 AM   #8
stagpanther

At it's price level--it's one of the best thought-out designs I've ever seen. That said for just a bit more you should take a look at Mossberg's Patriot rifle--especially if you're a "tupperware conscientious objector."
Old October 6, 2017, 12:32 AM   #9
Deer hunter88

Thank you all for the replies. Has anyone shot the Winchester power points out of their .270 rifles?
Old October 6, 2017, 02:04 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies. Has anyone shot the Winchester power points out of their .270 rifles?
I haven't--I reload my own ammo generally but when I first got my American I found the hornady American Whitetail in 270 for under $20 a box--and was very surprised by how well it shot.