The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 27, 2017, 10:26 PM   #1
chrisintexas

glock 33 rounder 9mm magazine

how do the 9mm glocks - 17, 19, 26 balance/feel/shoot when shooting this 33 rounder? thanks
Old November 27, 2017, 11:08 PM   #2
Kwik2010

They are definitely heavier than with a stock magazine. I guess that much is obvious. I had one for my 19. It worked but it wasn't very practical for anything more than as a range toy. But it was fun. The extra heft made it a tad more steady iirc. On the other hand, if you're used to the normal magazines, it'll be a bit more rear heavy and that might throw ya off a bit.

Last edited by Kwik2010; November 27, 2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old November 27, 2017, 11:39 PM   #3
OzeanJaeger

I care about the balance of a handgun. Those long mags throw me off terribly, and are worthless to me.

An older buddy of mine has developed a tremor in his hands, and he shoots his Glock with a 30 round Mag and holds on to it with his offhand. He swears he shoots better like that. I remain skeptical, but he’s a believer.
Old November 28, 2017, 08:56 AM   #4
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzeanJaeger View Post
I care about the balance of a handgun. Those long mags throw me off terribly, and are worthless to me.

An older buddy of mine has developed a tremor in his hands, and he shoots his Glock with a 30 round Mag and holds on to it with his offhand. He swears he shoots better like that. I remain skeptical, but he’s a believer.
While not worthless, I certainly don't much like the balance with the big mag in my 19 or 17, strangely the 26 feels fine with it.

I mostly reserve mine for range blasting at produce and such with folks looking to make noise.
Old November 28, 2017, 09:53 AM   #5
BarryLee

I use one in a G26 while at the range and it works fine for me. I suppose it makes the gun heavier, but I've never noticed it being an issue.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 28, 2017, 11:49 AM   #6
amd6547

While I’ve used my one 33rd mag without issue in both my G17 and G26, I prefer the Magpul 20rd mag for an extended G26 reload.
Old November 28, 2017, 05:07 PM   #7
batmann

I have four that I acquired in a trade. They do throw the pistol a little out of balance, but it seems like you can shoot forever.
IF you buy some, make sure they are Glock which function fine. There are some Asia made that are junk.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:04 PM   #8
kenny53

I have 4 or 5 33 round mags. Some are Glock and some are made in Korea. Both brand work well. I don't mind them in my G19 but mostly use them in the Kel Tec sub 2000. They will be great in either weapon post apocalypse.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:55 PM   #9
cpt-t

My Son and I have two 17L`s and several Glock 33 round magazines, and they work just fine for us no problems what so ever. And we shoot them on the range and just go out plinking with them, out walking along the river quite often and we really enjoy them. IMHO, we find them to balance well and shoot well for both of us. We have lights on both of them, so our Glock 17L`s with the our Glock 33 round magazines have become our house guns especially at night as well. That is how well we like them.
ken
Old November 30, 2017, 11:19 AM   #10
Viper225

Where I see the Happy Sticks shining would be for extra ammunition stored in a vehicle, and for home defense.
When you grab a pistol in a hurry when you go to check on a potential threat, more than likely you will not be filling the pockets of your pajamas with spare magazines. This is where a Happy Stick and Weapon Light would really shine to me.

Back Up Ammunition in your vehicle? Not a bad plan in this day of random terrorist acts. I know some "be prepared" folks who have started carrying an AR15 in their vehicle to just be prepared if they need to respond to an incident. In some locations you might have a problem being well armed with an AR15 readily available in your vehicle. Unless you live in an undesirable State you can carry a few Happy Sticks in your vehicle to increase your potential fire power on tap. Just In Case.

They are not for everyone, but they do have some very good uses.

Bob
Old December 16, 2017, 08:55 PM   #11
MORE GLOCKS

korean 31 round mags

I have 6 of the korean 31 round mags in .40 S&W. None of them work well. They have made me buy only Glock brand mags from now on. Never any malfunction with genuine mags!
Old December 17, 2017, 12:58 AM   #12
Viper225

I believe my brother is putting a couple 22 round Glock Brand "40 S&W" magazines in my stocking this Christmas. He asked me what I might have a need for a while back.
I did pick up a Korean 30 round one to check out a while back. So far I have not had a chance to work with it.

Bob
Old December 19, 2017, 05:26 PM   #13
otasan

In 28 years, I have never tried one in my G17.
Old December 22, 2017, 01:15 AM   #14
stormyone

They aren’t designed to carry in your Glock while you’re carrying. You whip out the 33 rounders when tshtf. They may feel odd, they may look odd, but the will work in a 26, 19, or 17.
Old December 22, 2017, 01:41 AM   #15
TruthTellers

For the full size 17's or 34's, they feel different, but you'll get use to it after the first few shots. For the Glock 26 or 27's, they're just silly and non-sensible.

In a rifle that uses Glock mags, they're the most natural magazine to use. If you plan to own a carbine, you should have a few of the 30+ round mags, if you plan to only own a Glock pistol, I'd say two of the 30 round mags is all you need.
Old December 22, 2017, 09:32 AM   #16
shafter

They might be fun in a carbine, but I really don't see myself enjoying them in a pistol. I prefer standard flush fitting magazines.
Old December 22, 2017, 09:45 AM   #17
cmdc

I use them in my Kel-Tec Sub2000 and 9mm AR. In those guns it’s the only way to go. In pistols they are fun at the range, and as has been said, good for backup in dire situations.
Old December 22, 2017, 04:29 PM   #18
Bamashooter

I bought one of the korean ones because it was half the price of the glock magazine. Ive loaded and shot this thing a dozen times at least and Ive never had to use a mag loader to load it and it has never malfunctioned. Im going to buy another one and if it works as good as the first I will be content with these two and see no need to buy the glock mags. If Im going to spend money on glock mags it will be the standard capacity magazines.

BTW balance blah, blah, blah. Weight blah, blah, blah. I shot my G19 just fine with the big stick in.
Old December 22, 2017, 04:32 PM   #19
FITASC

I find the 33 rounder to help with control on my 26; not as much on my 19 or 17
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 22, 2017, 05:47 PM   #20
dogtown tom

Quote:
chrisintexas how do the 9mm glocks - 17, 19, 26 balance/feel/shoot when shooting this 33 rounder? thanks
Heavier

Quote:
amd6547 While I’ve used my one 33rd mag without issue in both my G17 and G26, I prefer the Magpul 20rd mag for an extended G26 reload.
I prefer a factory Glock 17 rounder as my G26 reload.

There are too many issues with the Magpul Glock mags for me to trust them.

Quote:
cpt-t .....so our Glock 17L`s with the our Glock 33 round magazines have become our house guns especially at night as well.
Other than in a G18, I see little usefulness in a semiauto pistol with a 33round extended magazine for a home defense handgun.

Quote:
Viper225 Where I see the Happy Sticks shining would be for extra ammunition stored in a vehicle, and for home defense.
When you grab a pistol in a hurry when you go to check on a potential threat, more than likely you will not be filling the pockets of your pajamas with spare magazines. This is where a Happy Stick and Weapon Light would really shine to me.
One spare mag in your pajama pocket is better than a single 33rounder.

The only benefit to a 33 rounder is rounds fired between reloads.
The disadvantages include:
Reliability- a malfunction in your single "Happy Stick" means you reload with what?
A malfunction with a standard mag means you just drop it, reload and continue.

Retention- Finding yourself in close proximity to an intruder means he has a lot to grab onto with that long Happy Stick hanging out of your gun.

Carry- Being able to holster your firearm securely is pretty damn important. If that bump in the night isn't a person but something that requires the use of BOTH hands......what are you going to do? There's a reason no police officer walks around with a 33round mag in his holstered handgun.
I know several folks who have a "battle belt" with spare mags and a holstered pistol ready by the bedside.

Quote:
stormyone They aren’t designed to carry in your Glock while you’re carrying. You whip out the 33 rounders when tshtf.....
No, you whip out your AR.

Quote:
TruthTellers .... For the Glock 26 or 27's, they're just silly and non-sensible.
The reasons to use a 33rounder don't change because you are loading a G26.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 22, 2017, 06:58 PM   #21
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamashooter View Post
I bought one of the korean ones because it was half the price of the glock magazine. Ive loaded and shot this thing a dozen times at least and Ive never had to use a mag loader to load it and it has never malfunctioned. Im going to buy another one and if it works as good as the first I will be content with these two and see no need to buy the glock mags. If Im going to spend money on glock mags it will be the standard capacity magazines.

BTW balance blah, blah, blah. Weight blah, blah, blah. I shot my G19 just fine with the big stick in.
I have a 30 rd Korean mag for .40 and it works flawlessly in my Sub 2000, but in my Glocks... every 5 rounds there's a stop.

Doesn't make sense why it works in one gun, but not in others.

The 30 rd ETS mag works great in both Sub 2000 and Glocks.
Old December 27, 2017, 09:07 PM   #22
otasan

I would think that my G17 would be a bit heavy on the rear end.
Old December 27, 2017, 10:50 PM   #23
johnwilliamson062

One hell of a reload. I don't think I have ever seen or heard of anyone carrying them in their holstered gun.
Old December 27, 2017, 11:55 PM   #24
Water-Man

As was said above, they work well in a Kel-Tec Sub2000.