The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 25, 2017, 09:00 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
My main gun adviser says big chain stores buy repaired guns from companies. So I stick with the locals.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
Believe even less of what you hear in a gun store...
Old November 26, 2017, 08:04 AM   #27
Kvon2

Depends on what I'm buying. Big box stores typically get unbeatable prices on big sellers like Remington 870s, Mossberg 500s, 10/22s, ect...

If I'm buying something that won't be heavily discounted by a big box stores I'm checking with 2-3 local gun shops to see if they have it in stock and if not how much it would be to order it in. If I'm still not satisfied I'll start looking at places like Bud's and see if it's worth paying a transfer fee.
Old November 26, 2017, 10:35 AM   #28
Machineguntony

One trend I’m starting to notice, that’s good for the community, is that the surly know it all gun store environment is starting to disappear. Almost every gun store in town is very friendly and tries to accommodate newbie gun owners, and especially female shooters. I’ve listened to some of the interactions between clerks and first time buyers, and it’s quite a change from the old days.

The only gun store I can think of with condescending customer service is Gander Mountain, which you would think had the best customer service due to their sky high margin. It’s probably good for the gun community that Gander is out of business.
Old November 29, 2017, 06:18 PM   #29
Mackie244Bud

Hi all,
M&P Shield 9mm Gunbroker.com at:

Red Trading Post
Twin Falls, ID

Sig Sauer P320 Compact RX at

Nexus Shooting Range: http://www.nexusshooting.com/

Very happy with both purchases and places.
Looking for more....

Mackie244 / Bud
Old November 29, 2017, 06:32 PM   #30
m&p45acp10+1

For Cabela's it must be a store by store thing. I have used the Waco, and Buda. When it was packed to the gills the longest transaction took 45 minutes, and that was waiting for them to be able to mount the base, rings, and scope on a rifle I bought. One other took a wee little bit longer as they had to dig to find a gun in the back that was showing as in stock, and no one could find. It was there and one of the guys found it when he came off his lunch break.

Many times it seems to take so long as they have people applying for the in store credit card at the same time as the transaction, and that can take well over an hour to get every little thing done with. If you are in line behind two people that did the credit card application process you may be waiting. They may have 5 people behind the counter, bot only one that can do the transaction, and if that person is helping the person that is getting a card you are in for a long wait.
Old November 29, 2017, 06:47 PM   #31
Dufus

I went to the BassPro Shop on black Friday. They opened at 05:00 that morning, but I didn't go 'til around 09:00. Wadering around the store for a coupla hours, I met a man and wife that had been there since opening.

They had some sort of 380 ACP on sale and the guy picked one. This was around 11:00 and he was still waiting on the back ground check to come back. I think there were lots more poor folks waiting along with them.

It took me maybe 45 minutes to go thru the normal check out for a non firearm purchase.

In relation, I bought a Henry 30-30 back in September of 2015 and it took prolly 45 minutes from start to finish. That is the only firearm that I have bought from BassPro Shop and have never bought anything from Cabela's.

BassPro is 15 minute drive and Cabela's can be as much as 1 hr 15 minutes depending on traffic.
Old December 1, 2017, 07:29 PM   #32
North East Redneck

Several LGS, Dicks Sporting Goods. GunBroker. Never had anything but a good experience at LGS. No issues with GunBroker, bought from pawn shops, individuals and small stores.
Only issue was one time at Dicks, background check took some time. I don't believe it had anything to do with the sales person or the store in general. Glitch in system or system overwhelmed. Took about an hour to get a proceed. Not a big deal.
Old December 2, 2017, 08:28 AM   #33
Scoits

Cabelas is the epitome of customer unsatisfaction an does not seem to care as “THEY” are cabelas. How dare you expect anything different.
Old December 2, 2017, 09:06 AM   #34
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Don't remember all the places. Many I have were purchased from out of area smaller mom & pop gun shops and the occasional estate sale or farm place auction. To be honest I'm no longer into the "I got'a have" mode. I'm into shooting em all now. >well at least once is on my bucket list.
Old December 2, 2017, 07:21 PM   #35
TailGator

I have purchased from two different LGSs, a private buyer, and a couple of different online sellers, as well. All have gone fine. Never bought from any of the big national retailers.

One story that is worth relating regards a purchase of a Beretta 84 from CDI Sales via Gunbroker. They sent me a tracking number and I watched its progress to Orlando, less than an hour and a half from my hometown in Florida. I figured it was only a day or so away, but then it disappeared for a couple of days and turned up in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I sent CDI an email, and they responded immediately with a promise to make things right. They contacted the post office inspectors, got it tracked and shipped back and routed correctly, and kept me updated with emails a couple of times a day. It wound up being three or four days late, but I give them credit for the way they handled it. It wasn't their error, but they made it clear that they were going to make sure that their customer was taken care of. It left me with a good impression of them.
Old December 2, 2017, 08:00 PM   #36
FITASC

Quote:
If a "sold", but not paid for gun were a priority, you would be out the door in 15-25 min.

I've heard salesmen tell customers it takes about an hour. Really?
4473................5 min
Call..................5 min
Log out of book..5 min
When Gander was in business, the process was a MINIMUM of 30 minutes because they used the online direct system with a PC and, IMO, most of the time was due to the person trying to fill out the form electronically. Then they had the double check everything and have a second person double check that.
My local small time guy? About 10 minutes in and out.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 5, 2017, 07:46 PM   #37
nanney1

Just bought my first gun from kygunco.com. My FFL was in their system and they shipped the same day I ordered.
Old December 6, 2017, 11:08 PM   #38
DavidABQ

There are a few local gun stores here that I like to shop at. I have had my fill of the big box stores when it comes to firearm purchases.
Old December 25, 2017, 06:58 AM   #39
johnslick

I went to pick up a used 1911 at Cabelas. Price was $699.Turns out someone else bought it. They gave me a brand new,in the sealed box,$1200 1911 for the same 699 price
Old December 25, 2017, 10:28 AM   #40
Mavrik

I don't really buy many but I've bought most of my firearms at local estate sales/firearms auctions (and sold a few that way). I look mostly for older hunting guns particularly marlin lever actions and I don't mind if they have a few dings/scratches on them (woods character as I've come to call it).

As for the experience doing it that way it can vary greatly, I like the atmosphere/excitement of doing it that way I suppose and the chance of a bargain such as a mid 80s marlin 30-30 in great shape for $220.

It can also be frustrating though as an example I can forget about getting anything military at least at a reasonable price there's at least 2 buyers at every auction around here that will get into a bidding war over those items every single time. If anybody else wants it they'll be paying a massive premium.

There are a couple of local shops that I will go in and browse through but there's only one small shop that I've bought something out of as I really like the atmosphere and demeanor of the employees.

I did pick one up from a table at a local gun show lately which that was a first but the model and price was something I couldn't pass up. I was really there looking for a couple of bayonets.

Last edited by Mavrik; December 25, 2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old December 25, 2017, 10:40 AM   #41
SauerGrapes

I almost bought a gun at Cabela's from their gun library. Notice I said almost. It was taking wayyy to long and I told them, never mind.
I buy from small shops, private sales and internet.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old December 27, 2017, 02:32 PM   #42
SIGSHR

Unfortunately many of the LGS's I bought from are gone, alas.
Being primarily a "collector" who prefers guns from the Steel and Walnut Era, I prefer to buy from an LGS as they usually have used guns in stock.
Old December 27, 2017, 05:37 PM   #43
KyJim

I've purchased most of my guns from local dealers (Lexington, Ky.):

Classic Arms and Archery
Evans Firearms
Buds Gunshop

I've never had a bad experience with any of these dealers. The atmosphere is different at Bud's because it's bigger but the staff has always been friendly and professional.
Old December 27, 2017, 07:45 PM   #44
cannonfire

Governors's Gun Club- Powder Springs, GA
GA Firing Line- Kennesaw, GA (I think it's considered Kennesaw)

GA Firing Line has MADE (i.e. I had no choice or self control so I can not be held accountable) for 4 gun purchases this year.

Governor's for 3 gun purchases this year. Again, it's the fiance's fault for allowing me to do things unsupervised.....

Don't regret one purchase.
Old December 30, 2017, 07:12 PM   #45
3Crows

Cabela's who usually price matches and will hold layaway and have always been nice to me.

Academy because they are often the lower price without price matching and are fast to check out if not busy.

I do not understand online buying but if somebody can explain it to me and how it works I would love to.

Frankly, when it comes to poor experiences I have done much better with those above than independent stores, maybe just me. Cannot explain it but many times I have gone into a small shop with the full intent of buying something only to be ignored completely.
Old December 30, 2017, 09:29 PM   #46
jimbob86

I won't list them all, but suffice to say I've done just about every legal method (in 'Merica ... you might live elsewhere, so YMMV!) of purchasing a gun except a gun show ...... been to few ... sorely tempted once or twice, even haggled a bit ..... but never bought a firearm there .... nor much of anything else. ..... Hardware stores, Pawn shops, K-Mart, WallyWorld, Cabelas, LGS's , heirloom, private sales ...... the most negative experiences were weeks of delays in shipping an online order that was said to be in stock when I ordered it .... that level of customer non-service could not have happened in a brick and mortar store because I would have taken my cash down the street to the next one ....

... just proved my belief that you can generally have it "Now, Good, or Cheap, pick 2" .....

..... no brick and mortar store was within $400 of what I paid.... the gun has surpassed my expectations thus far .... I just had to wait several weeks and endure a couple of "we misplaced your order/paperwork" excuses ....

My best customer service experiences have been at the local FFL (Fort Crook Armory and Supply) that I shipped that problem order to ....the lower shipped promptly, the upper was repeatedly delayed - I mentioned that I was having issues getting 5 round magazines for the gun I was having problems getting shipped ..... time was getting short before deer season and if they knew where I could find some ..... "hunting generally isn't our thing ...we'll look..." they promptly called my cell when the order finally arrived and had 2 5 rounders on the counter ....not cheap, but I NEEDED them Now.....my local LGS - mention you are looking for a thing and they will call you if they can find it ...... and at my local Cabela's "Gun Library" which is a $10 dollar phrase for "Used/Consignment" ...... they have some REALLY nice stuff there .... and some junk that sets ....... I picked up a "used" hex receiver Mosin 91/30 there that some kid had bought, cleaned the cosmoline off of and returned the next week (needed the cash, minus 35%, I guess)... the greased ones on the rack were marked $199 and up depending upon maker and year ..... the guy said, "We made our 35%- Cut to the chase: get it out of here: 99 Bucks." OTD in 20 minutes with a good shooter for a C-note and tax ....
Old December 30, 2017, 11:48 PM   #47
Whistlebritches

Bud's Gun Shop.......online
Gunbroker........online
B&B gun shop........Abilene Texas

Being left handed rules out many chain stores.Was in Academy in Wichita Falls Thursday and inquired about a Ruger American left hand model.........they cannot order them in LH for some damn reason.Ordered it from Bud's........it'll be at my local midweek.
Old December 31, 2017, 02:32 PM   #48
fredvon4

I started acquiring some fire arms I always wanted but too poor to get...when I was working and raising kids...

I have had very good experiences at a lot of different locations and on line sources through a local gun store FFL

Some desires just have to be hand held first to see about weight, fit, quality of workmanship... others like a Ruger 10/22 are so well known that best price is my decision tree

I loath finding something at a very good price in most of the bigger stores like Cabela's or Bass pro or Academy...

did buy only once at each of the noted above...never again

If I am out at one NOW and see something tempting, I head to my very good LGS and tell my guy what I saw, wanted, and the price.. he can usually get it for me within $20~$30 and I am willing to pay that premium for the MUCH less hassle free experience

Or his price is a lot higher than a GunBroker's seller price-- and I tell him up front I am going to have GB sent it through him to me...still a $35 fee for MY LGS guy...but on three rifles now GB beat his price by over $65...my guy is OK with me getting what I want for a price I like

First ever firearm bought by me was in a Sears Roebuck store in 1971
Ted Williams Model 100 (Winchester 94)....

Easiest rifle purchase ever...grabbed off open rack display, shouldered the rifle, looked at the price, paid the counter person $78.99 and tax...took to my car...signed nothing
Old December 31, 2017, 05:52 PM   #49
shootniron

I have bought them from all over the country...in 40yrs of buying them from every corner of the country, I have never had an issue with any purchase.

Last edited by shootniron; December 31, 2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old January 2, 2018, 05:33 PM   #50
jugornot

Online. My range doesn't charge transfer fees for members.

Bill