The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 19, 2018, 04:09 PM   #26
ms6852

Once I retired from the military in 1996 I got back into purchasing ammo every pay period. I make it a purpose to keep my lot of firearms in certain caliber to minimize the variety. I would buy 30-06 30/30, 357,45acp, and 22lr, and 22mag. Did this for years when I would be stationed close to home and afterwards. Because of this I still have 30-06 ammo priced at 8.99 for 06, and 5.99 for 30/30. Also I have all the brass cases fired for when I started to reload.

What I learned in the last ten years is that there will always be snakes amongst our crowds and those that will do anything for a profit at the cost of others. I mean ammo going especially 22lr, 22 mag, and 5.56 get marked up 300%. I was lucky that I never bought any ammo at those prices because my inventory kept me shooting without interruption , and I would help out a father with their child at the range on occasion by providing them with 22 ammo at no charge so that the child could continue to shoot, even offering my 22 rifles. Great way to make new friends.

I learned in the last 10 years that the new generations growing up that they place no value on life. It is very evident as mass shooting are becoming the norm for this younger generations and than they want us to take the blame because of guns, when in reality they are to blame for all the bullying they do while hiding behind the internet.
As a student in my time it was not a big deal for me to take my rifle to school so that we could go hunting after school for rabbits and such.

I have learned that things are good in the shooting world but it will not last for long because Trump will not be in office for ever so prepare for another Obama drought.

But most importantly I have learned that as I am aging that my shooting needs are going to change. I will no longer be needing all the firearms I posses as I will continue to enjoy my shooting by challenging myself to push the limits of the 22lr in long distance shooting which for me will be fun.
Old December 20, 2018, 04:08 PM   #27
RC20

Quote:
As individuals who value our freedoms and especially our rights to own firearms for personal liberty and security, we have learned a lot but at the same time, the human mind has a tendency to forget once a tragedy or episode of hardship is past, so we can do a refresher:
As an individual, I value freedom of the press, freedom of religion (including none), freedom of assembly, the right of ALL to vote.

All of those are deeply in peril.

I see no ownership of guns stopping banks from screwing people and creating financial crisis that affect us and not them, and contracts that require we give up all our rights to get basic services we need.

I have yet to see a gun owner step up and fight any of those that affect all of us, not the 10% who focus on one issue and forget that we are loosing our rights so rapidly that it makes your head spin.

Once the rest are gone, the 2nd follows.

Quote:
As a student in my time it was not a big deal for me to take my rifle to school so that we could go hunting after school for rabbits and such.
Even growing up in bush Alaska we never took guns to school.
Old December 20, 2018, 05:06 PM   #28
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
As an individual, I value freedom of the press, freedom of religion (including none), freedom of assembly, the right of ALL to vote.

All of those are deeply in peril.

I see no ownership of guns stopping banks from screwing people and creating financial crisis that affect us and not them, and contracts that require we give up all our rights to get basic services we need.

I have yet to see a gun owner step up and fight any of those that affect all of us, not the 10% who focus on one issue and forget that we are loosing our rights so rapidly that it makes your head spin.

Once the rest are gone, the 2nd follows.

Even growing up in bush Alaska we never took guns to school.
Maybe not in your time but in mine it was common.http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...7s&FORM=HDRSC2
Old December 20, 2018, 05:12 PM   #29
huntinaz

I learned to buy a good deal when I see it. Armslist, Craiglist, Backpage, etc. If I am not going to use it when a panic hits, I'll sell up for something I want. Otherwise, every time I clean up my bench (every couple years) I find something I forget I had am say sweeeet, I'm so glad I found this!

I bought 12 AR mags the other day for $4.50 each shipped. Do I need them? Nah. Will I be glad I have them someday? Probably.
Old December 20, 2018, 05:59 PM   #30
Mainah

Ten years ago we came very close to a complete collapse of the domestic and international banking systems. It's amazing to me how quickly that's faded into a hazy collective memory. I remember stocking up on ammo at inflated prices because of the potential barter value as much as for a sense of security.
Old December 20, 2018, 06:16 PM   #31
rickyrick

We had guns in the gun rack of the pickup
Old December 20, 2018, 07:09 PM   #32
M88

What have we learned? As many have said, not to take any of our rights for granted. I agree with those that say it's just a matter of time before the 2d, even as it stands now, will fall. It will start with states like CA, MA, NJ eating away at our rights little by little... and eventually as less and less of the younger generations own or think they don't need to own a gun, with the federal government "bowing" to the will of the voting masses. I firmly believe in my lifetime (I'm 65) a good portion of my extensive gun collection, except perhaps my flintlocks, will be illegal to own and shoot. I hope that is not so, but I am reading the tea leaves and the population shifts from rural to urban ever so slowly.

Oh... and btw, in rural PA we DID take our guns to school during hunting season to take advantage of the few hours of light in the woods after school. The only rule was they had to be unloaded and kept in our lockers. No eyebrows were raised... nobody called the police... nobody shot up the school... amazing? Of course it isn't!
Old December 21, 2018, 11:05 AM   #33
the possum

The .22 drought really pissed me off. I was mad at myself, because I KNEW it was going to happen. I was rearranging my budget to save money specifically for stocking up on .22 ammo, and planned to make a major purchase in the spring. But I just didn't have the cash to pull it off at the time, and the panic hit 3 months before I was ready.

I've been tracking prices on Ammoseek ever since, and it has only been in the past few months that they've finally dropped below 3 cents per round (recently saw cheap plinking ammo for 2.1-2.4 cents per round). I have not paid less than 12 bucks a brick since the late 1990's. So, kids, today's lesson is to stock the hell up on .22 ammo! You can't reload it (in a practical manner), and are dependent upon a steady supply from the factories. It took right at 6 years for the panic to die down, and for prices to return to normal now. So if you want to weather the next big panic, get at least a 6 year supply, whatever that means for you.

Now, here's a further lesson I learned the hard way. The minimum is not enough. I noticed that even after I managed to get a decent supply of it, I didn't want to shoot it, because I knew I couldn't easily replace it. So, if ya wanna enjoy your practice, you need an amount that makes you say, "Man, why did I buy all this ammo? I'll never be able to use it all." That should be your goal.
Old December 21, 2018, 12:05 PM   #34
the possum

This point is probably too late, but back in the 1990's, I bought an SKS simply because they were cheap. They were being sold right out the crates for $85. I saw Mausers for less than $100. Bought Mosins for $65. Makarovs for $120. Surplus ammo was 8 cents per round. I wish somebody would have told me back then, that those deals wouldn't last forever! So I'm telling you right now, if something on the world stage changes enough that we start seeing boatloads of surplus equipment flooding our shores, buy them. Buy a bunch of them when they're cheap. Even if you don't particularly love them, you can play with them for a period, really hone your skills with plentiful cheap ammo, and down the road you can probably triple your money again.
Old December 21, 2018, 02:40 PM   #35
M88

Most of us who have been around guns all our life and are over 50 have seen guns at what now seems like ridiculously low prices at times over the years. Especially military surplus as possum noted. Nostalgic thoughts, but just stories to tell folks now. Lots of woulda coulda shoulda stuff. Should have taken every spare dollar I had and put it into a 30 year back when interest rates spiked to 14% for a brief time early 80's, or bought stock in Apple back when the average person thought it was just something Eve gave to Adam... but who had a crystal ball? What I learned in last 10 years is not to panic and if you have the money and space, buy bulk and stack deep. Cheaper per round, and then you have them during the bust and boom scarcity cycles. I just started reloading, and plan on buying bulk bullets, powder and primer also. I've got about 200 lbs of lead I scrounged over the years that I recently poured into 1 lb bricks sitting there just waiting to be poured into 45 Colt. As others have said, IF YOU HAVE THE CASH, take advantage of deals when you run across them. Most of our "stuff" has a very long shelf life if kept dry, cool and dark. If you assume room temperature before you use it all, it can be sold at a later date.
Old December 22, 2018, 11:55 AM   #36
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by the possum View Post
So I'm telling you right now, if something on the world stage changes enough that we start seeing boatloads of surplus equipment flooding our shores, buy them. Buy a bunch of them when they're cheap.
AR-15's and the ammo for them definitely fall into that category right now.

If you think about the fact that a $500 AR is approximately half the value of a 1990 AR ($250 back then) or even $80 in 1970 dollars, you have exactly the scenario that the possum noted above.

--Wag--
Old December 22, 2018, 01:55 PM   #37
cslinger

I learned that this scratches my .22 itch far more than actual .22LR.

Old December 22, 2018, 02:18 PM   #38
rickyrick

ARs are the cheap SKSs of modern times.
Old December 23, 2018, 01:15 AM   #39
Zorro

Practice. Practice. Practice!

There are no magic guns.

YOU must learn how to use them.
Old December 23, 2018, 06:42 PM   #40
sirgilligan

Thanks for all of the replies. Keep them coming.

What am I going to do?

Take inventory and make plans. I have put away some cash during these lean times. I bought very little when prices were high. Now with the cash in the box it is time to get what is needed. If I have funds left then get something I want but don’t really need.
Old December 24, 2018, 08:03 AM   #41
USNRet93

Last 10 years(actually last 5), me and both sons(age 39 and 41) came back to gun ownership. All also have CCWs but what I learned is how much fun gun ownership/shooting, is. Not expensive(altho the $ convinced younger son to quit smoking..a carton of cigs=about 250 rounds of 9mm..), plus a great way for the 3 of us to get together, go up in the mountains to an outdoor range we know of..and blast away at paper targets, bottles, melons..just great fun..

PLUS found this place, very informative w/o the typical political crappola on so many others..

Have a GREAT Xmas!!

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 24, 2018, 08:55 AM   #42
FITASC

Merry Christmas backatcha! Sounds like a great way for some father/son time.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 25, 2018, 05:13 AM   #43
Pond, James Pond

Ten years ago, I was basically anti-gun ownership and knew nothing about them.

I’m now pro-gun ownership (for those responsible enough!!), I own 2 shoguns, 3 rifles, two revolvers and a semi. I shoot IPSC, reload and EDC..

Yep... the last 10 years have been a learning curve!!