The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 30, 2017, 11:49 AM   #1
noelf2

Euroarms NMA at Nations Gun Show

Was looking over a like-new Euroarms NMA at the gun show yesterday. Still had it's box. Seller was asking $275, but if all was ok I'm sure I could have talked him down considerably. I've never handled a Euroarms / ASP revolver before (that I can remember) and I was really impressed with the smoothness of the action. Not sure if they came that way, or someone did some stoning and polishing of the inerds. Nothing was loose or looked out of whack. Anyway, I asked if I could shine a light in the barrel, and he kind of hum-hawed a bit, but gave in and said sure. Pulled back the hammer and shined the light. There it was, a little crescent moon from the cylinder face shining back at me. I cycled to each chamber and it was the same for all. I put it down, said thanks, and walked off. Glad I had the bore light with me.

Another guy had a SS ASM Target model Remington clone. Never saw a stainless ASM before. It was a bit beat up on the front sight, and had some been-out-in-the-field marks, but overall good condition. Cycled fine and was in time. I think he was asking $195 for it. Not a bad price, but I walked. He also had a ASM 1860 Army, but there was nothing unusual or different about it, and I didn't even check the price.

Last edited by noelf2; December 30, 2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old December 31, 2017, 12:38 AM   #2
Hellgate

Noelf2,
I bought an ASP NMA a few years back and did not have a bore light. The gun would seize up after 2 shots due to leading at the barrel/cylinder gap due to shearing of lead. The cylinder stops were all machined about 1/16" off and it was useless until I dropped a spare Uberti NMA cylinder in and afterward it was up & running fine. It had a .009 cylinder gap with the Uberti cylinder but the timing was good. You'd think something that noticeable would not have passed inspection. It was obvious the nipples were off center with the bore but it was such a good deal & I was dumber back then. The lesson that hurts teaches.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 31, 2017, 09:00 AM   #3
noelf2

I guess it was a common issue with them.
Old December 31, 2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Hellgate

I bought two SS Pietta NMAs that had similar cylinder problems but not as bas as the Euroarms one. The Piettas would jump out of the bolt stop & jam occasionally. I finally figured it out and had the forcing cones reamed and solved it but I was not impressed with Pietta's QC.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 2, 2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I bought this EuroArms 1858 Remmie band-spanky new in 1975. It never gave me a spot of trouble.

Many years later I had it converted to 45 Colt. The first thing I did was I had a gunsmith put a new front sight on it. The way these showed up on our shores originally they had front sights that were very short, causing them to shoot high. I bought an Uberti front sight, which was taller than the original sight, and the smith cut a new dovetail for it. After shooting a few cylinders full to make sure it was printing where I wanted, I sent it to Taylors and they fitted a 45 Colt conversion cylinder to it. In this photo it is wearing its conversion cylinder. I have not fired it as a C&B in years, but when I did it never gave me any problems. It is even more fun to shoot with 45 Schofield ammo loaded with Black Powder.

I am not sure exactly who EuroArms was, perhaps they were some sort of a distributor.

This one was actually made by Armi San Paolo. This is the Armi San Paolo marking on the bottom of the barrel.

Old January 2, 2018, 12:08 PM   #6
Hawg

Euroarms was both. They were ASP before they were Euroarms. They may have used leftover ASP marked parts.
Old January 2, 2018, 12:33 PM   #7
noelf2

When ASP closed shop, Euroarms of Italy bought their assets and started making the revolvers. Euroarms of America imported them to the USA, as did other importers.