The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2018, 06:06 PM   #1
dubsRedhawk

Swapping hammer and trigger on identical S&W 19-3. Good idea??

I have 2 identical Smith 19-3 guns. One is really nice and the other is MINT. I don't have the boxes to either so originality is not a huge concern. The really nice one has an awesome target hammer and trigger. The mint one has the standard setup. I want to put the target H&T into the mint one. Any concerns? Did S&W hand fit these? Will they drop right in? Thanks for any help.

Dub
Old March 14, 2018, 07:37 PM   #2
mete

Assume fitting necessary ! If you're going to shoot them, probably trigger jobs [over and above fitting ] would be the proper job ! Enjoy !
Old March 15, 2018, 12:06 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

You might luck out, but they should be fitted.
Old March 15, 2018, 04:00 AM   #4
Old Stony

Fitting comes into play occasionally on those type revolvers, but as a rule the old S&W's will accept a swap like that with no problem. I have replaced a bunch of hammers and triggers on them over the years and very seldom need to do any fitting. It certainly won't hurt to try swapping them around without any major gunsmithing.
Old March 15, 2018, 07:13 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

Since triggers and hammers are fitted to each other, a swap should be possible and no trigger job needed.
Old March 15, 2018, 12:23 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...Did S&W hand fit these?..." Nope. That's why they were not a $1,000 when they were new.
The difference between a target trigger/hammer is the width. Same thing otherwise. Lots of people have 'em put in. The springs might be different.
However, there's really no advantage one way or the other to a target trigger and hammer. The perception with the trigger is a lighter pull due to the increased width.
'Mint' means sealed in it's original box and unfired. Mind you, Smith 19's are not collector pieces anyway.
Old March 15, 2018, 01:13 PM   #7
straightshooterjake

It is my understanding that these parts were "sort of" hand fitted in two ways. First, the double action sear, which is the little lever on the front of the hammer, was actually fitted. Both length and shape of the double action sear are pretty sensitive. Second, the hammer and trigger may not have been hand fitted, but the assemblers had bins full of each, and if they did not like the way two parts fit together, they would swap one or the other. Since overall dimensions on these parts had a few thousandths of variation, swapping parts could result in a very good overall fitting. Of course, some assemblers were better at this process than others, and we can still feel the results of that when we handle older guns.

Regarding swapping parts between guns, it might work out fine, and if you are well experienced working on revolvers, it would not hurt to try. Since you will be keeping the same hammers and triggers paired up, there is a good chance that the double action sears will be fine. I would suggest keeping the hands in their original guns. This will require removing the hand from each trigger and installing it in the other trigger.

If you do try swapping parts, and things don't feel right, then I would recommend putting everything back or talking to an experience gunsmith. If fitting is required, it takes some real experience to do it right.