The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 12, 2013, 10:53 PM   #1
skizzums

Need help with Mosin feeding

having problems with a particular mosin, of course the one that shoots the best. whenever i use the mag and i'm shooting, my rim gets jammed in the point that sticks out that the bullet is supposed to slide under( hard to explain, i'll use technical terms like doodad and thingy). this happens at least once every 5-6 rounds. no rhyme or reason to it, not the first round or the last round, just random rounds. for some reason its only when i shoot, i can cycle it all day in my living room with no problems. any help please, i have been shooting this rifle weekly just loading one round at a time for the last 2 yrs. i figure i should fix it now. heres some pics to explain........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jammed1.jpg (237.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg jammed2.jpg (244.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg jammed3.jpg (239.6 KB, 31 views)
Old August 12, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2
5thShock

Check out this video, maybe something wrong with the interrupter that should keep the top cartridge isolated from those below, I think. Please come back and let us know what happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bmLGuw_bqY
Old August 13, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3
skizzums

thank you, it is defenitely the problem. its not cusing rim-lock like he says, but the bullets under the round to be chambered, release and push up on it, causing my problem. i will break it down today and let you know if i can find this tension screw he's talking about. thank you
Old August 13, 2013, 06:57 AM   #4
hornet41

While you have it broken down, also remove the interrupter and clean any dried cosmo out of the channel it rides in!! Anything in there can keep it from going deep enough into the receiver to prevent rim loc!! Been there, done that!
'Mo
Old August 13, 2013, 03:30 PM   #5
skizzums

i took the interruper assembly apart and cleaned everything and attempted to increse the bend in it. it didn't seem to be adjustable at all. it still feels rough when i push it back and forth, it doesnt glide easily, but it does feel better than it did. i wont know for sure til i get out and shoot again which won't be until this weekend sometime. thanks for the advice. i'll re-post the thread when i get out and test it.
Old August 13, 2013, 07:41 PM   #6
MikeG

Also look at the inside of the stock where the interruptor/ejector sits and make sure it is inletted enough to let that part work.
Old August 14, 2013, 03:33 PM   #7
skizzums

i did check that mike, i was originally thinking that when i bedded the stock maybe i has glass around it, but it is not, and i dont think that would be the problem anyway since it seems to be oversensitive rather than unable to go back. thanks though, i was hoping it would be that easy. i took it all apart and couldn't find anything blaringly wrong, so i just have to rework it some and keep trying. maybe i could just find the new part for a few bucks too.
Old August 14, 2013, 03:34 PM   #8
skizzums

actually mike, come to think of it, do you think maybe having too much space behind it could also cause a problem? i did do a bit of sanding and dremel inside the stock before glassing.
Old August 14, 2013, 09:29 PM   #9
MikeG

No, I can't see too much space presenting a problem.
Old August 14, 2013, 09:48 PM   #10
shadowviper

Be very careful not to force those rounds when they jam. I can show you the results of one going off before the chamber is closed if you would like. The primer is still in my hand.
Old August 15, 2013, 07:18 AM   #11
Bezoar

check the way you installed the interupter. very carefully. its easy to put it in backwards. if in backwards it doesnt work well.
Old August 15, 2013, 04:24 PM   #12
skizzums

yeah, i was looking to see which was formard and backwards, but it seemed pretty obvious, the side curved lip goes in back, correct?

dammn, that sucks you still have a primer in your hand. a bigazz russian one at that.
Old August 25, 2013, 04:49 PM   #13
skizzums

well whatever i did worked out great. i ran about 10 mags through it today and only jammed up once and it was very minor. so it had to have been the interrupter. all i did was disassemble it and thoroughly cleaned it and bent it back a little. thanks for the tip on the interrupter, i never thought about that.