The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 1, 2013, 11:55 AM   #1
mtnman

22 ammo

What's up with 22 ammo I can't find it anywhere.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Goblins et it.

There are a number of current active threads on this topic, all discussing the whys and wherefors of gun, ammo, and component shortages.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:40 PM   #3
jreXD9

I was able to nab 500 rds at Abram's in Newnan, GA yesterday.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:56 AM   #4
BIGR

It is hard to find and it goes out the door as soon as it hits the shelf. Ammo company profits should be out the roof.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Ammo company profits should be out the roof."

Gun companies as well. That's why stock share prices are up. The smart folks have been sticking their money there.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Deja vu

I have been shooting my wifes 17 hmr rather than the 22s because of cost

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 3, 2013, 01:06 AM   #7
tonymazz

People are hoarding and those with they are swapping out bolts and running less expensive .22 LR ...
Old February 3, 2013, 10:03 AM   #8
B.L.E.

It's not hoarding, it's panic buying. People panic buy stuff because other people panic buy stuff and the empty shelves fuel the panic buying frenzy.

Hoarding is what you do between buying panics so you have ammo to tide you through a buying panic.

I predict that in a couple of years, the shelves will be full of .22 ammo again and then is the time to stock up, preferably when the stuff is on sale, so you'll have ammo to shoot during the next buying panic.

I remember an antifreeze buying panic back in the '70s, couldn't find any Prestone to put in my car anywhere. People were buying it by the case at scalper prices. I bet some of them still kick themselves every time they look at that pallet of antifreeze they paid premium prices for in their garage.

Once a buying panic starts, it takes on a life of its own, those that had no intention to hoard find themselves buying whenever they can because the shelves are empty and the feedback loop is closed. It's like a run on a bank or a selling panic on the stock market, it feeds on itself.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:25 PM   #9
steveNChunter

Couple of years? Nah, I give it 6 months
Old February 3, 2013, 08:32 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

Art the smarter investors bought from the hedge funds that dumped off their gun related stocks after the Sandy Hook shooting. Gun company stocks nose dived for a week after that. I would have snapped up on them if I had the chance.

As for ammo it is still showing up on shelves. More stores are limiting purchases so more people can buy ammo.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Mobuck

I've been buying a case(5250 rounds) every 3 months during 2012. Haven't tried to buy any since the election but I've watched the prices go up and the availability go down and chuckled to myself.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:25 AM   #12
mr.t7024

22 ammo

The ammo is not reaching the shelves, it is not being delivered! Cliff
Old February 4, 2013, 12:41 PM   #13
bazookajeff89

i had a guy trying to sell me a box of 50 regular plinking 22 LR for 20 bucks saturday, it is rediculous
Old February 4, 2013, 05:48 PM   #14
BIGR

That is almost like highway robbery.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:02 PM   #15
Picher

Someone once created a toilet paper shortage by telling folks there was a shortage when there wasn't. People are really paranoid these days, especially when it comes to our favorite hobby/sport, guns and shooting.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:14 PM   #16
dos0711

Even 17HMR is getting spotty around here...
Old February 4, 2013, 06:41 PM   #17
gundog5

Spent a few minutes talking to one of the salesman at a local sporting goods store. I asked if they had any H322 powder or any 22lr. His response was "no" but... we are getting our weekly shipement in tomorrow, come in early and we will have what you need. Tuseday @ 10am is my new shopping day. Just wanted to pass along how others might get some highly sought after items.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:36 PM   #18
ThomasT

Quote:
Someone once created a toilet paper shortage by telling folks there was a shortage when there wasn't. People are really paranoid these days, especially when it comes to our favorite hobby/sport, guns and shooting.
That was in about 1973. I worked as a sacker in a Skaggs/Albertsons at the time. That was just after the "sugar Shortage" that had just went away. People were buying suger by the grocery cart full because they thought they would never be able to buy sugar again. And the rumor was that there was a glut of sugar about to spoil. So a shortage was created. And people fell for it. Just so you know the toilet paper shortage was a bust. People can wipe their butts on lots of stuff besides TP. But you can't make a cake without sugar.

I heard the same thing about the gas shortage of 1978. Their were tankers of oil sitting in the gulf and the oil price was too low. So dream up a gas shortage and ration gas.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:32 PM   #19
B.L.E.

Quote:
And the rumor was that there was a glut of sugar about to spoil.
Sugar spoiling? Sugar actually acts as a preservative when concentrated.

The good thing about gasoline is that it's very hard to hoard a significant amount of it. The gas tanks in our cars is only so big and to hoard more takes a significant investment in a storgage tank.
I remember gas stations being out of gas on 9-11, if it had been possible for people to panic buy a year's or more supply of gasoline, it could have been really bad for drivers.

Maybe it's a good idea to have several months of non-perishable food squirreled away somewhere in case there comes a food panic buying episode.

Like a run on a bank, a panic buy reinforces itself, sort of like a self fulfilling prophesy. A rumor starts that a bank is insolvent and everyone pulling their funds out of the bank makes the rumor come true.
I believe the FDIC was created more to protect banks from runs than it was created to protect depositors, though protecting depositors from bank failures was its obstentious purpose.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:27 AM   #20
Geezerbiker

I usually provide the .22 ammo if the other guy drives and buys the gas to go shooting. I only buy non-reloadable ammo if it's on sale. Yes that was a while ago.

I don't think stocking up is the same as hoarding. If I was hording, I'd never shoot any of my stash...

Tony