The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 15, 2008, 01:32 AM   #1
HKFan9

New SAFE/FUN way to train???

I was sitting here wondering what a good way to train defensive pistol tactics like reloading on the move, getting to cover while drawing, ect. Then it came to me.... AIRSOFT

I used to play a lot of airsoft and paintball Mil-Sim style matches with friends back in the day but mostly had assault rifles.

For those of you who are asking what airsoft is heres my simple explanation. Airsoft is a sport that is very popular in Japan, and it is Full Scale close to EXACT replicas of all your FAVORITE Handguns, Assault Rifles, Shotguns, Sniper Rifles, Grenade Launchers, Sub-machine guns, Heavy Machine guns, ect. These replica's fire 6mm HARD plastic BB's at approx. 300fps stock.

Now with all the fun guns aside, I want to focus on pistols. Most of the higher end replica airsoft guns that are Semi-Auto's are Gas Blow Backs (GBB). The use "green gas" aka "Propane" to fire the BB's and cycle the slide just like the Real Steel versions.

Now with that out of the way my thoughts were, to get a friend to invest in these replica weapons with you. Say for instance you carry a Glock 19, you can get the same airsoft weapon so your carry rig is the exact same. Buying some cheap eye protection you and a friend can set up REALISTIC scenario's where you would be forced to brandish your firearm, and decide if Lehal force is necessary or not. Then if a "fire fight" does happen, thats only IF the BG has a weapon, that can be optional in your scenario, you can practice your quick aiming, moving, and everything else. These things do cycle but with almost no felt recoil so its not good practice for control/double tapping ect.

Final notes are this could be A LOT of fun for you and a buddy, and over all with the right protection gear relatively safe. One thing to keep in my is NOT to go on an offensive just to sting your buddy with a BB as fun as it is, but to stay defensive and escape the situation with your life. Other benefits include location, this can be done in a backyard with no bystanders present, or even indoors (WITH APPROVAL FROM THE WIFE OFCOURSE) Let me know what you guys think, I like the idea, and understand it is NOT a replacement for live fire training at a range, but do you think one could benefit from it?
Old June 15, 2008, 05:24 AM   #2
grey sky

Yes

Much cheeper than gearing up for simunitions probly safer too.
Old June 15, 2008, 08:51 AM   #3
chris in va

Do a search for 'airsoft'. Many topics on the subject.