The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 11, 2000, 07:55 AM   #1
kraMrD

Anyone know much about these? Apparently this type of DIAS allows the full auto operation of an AR15 without M16 parts.

It seems to me that you lose select fire capability. You have full auto only and can obtain bursts only through trigger control? Is this correct?

M.
Old January 11, 2000, 09:19 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

It won't be worth it. Most of these homemade contraptions are junk to start with and the only value they have is negative, like 10 years courtesy of Uncle Sam and a hefty fine.
Basically you're building a runaway and those are no good at all.
Old January 11, 2000, 11:59 AM   #3
kraMrD

There is an individual on AR15.com who is offering the plans to build such a device. I already have the plans to build a regular DIAS which requires M16 parts. But I never heard of this type of DIAS.

I DO NOT intend to build this. I am simply interested in the plans for educational and research purposes only in case the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI.

M.
Old January 11, 2000, 05:20 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

That type of DIAS does not require M16 parts, but it is FA only; no semi auto capability. Some of those were registered before the 1986 law and can be legally owned and transferred (with NFA restrictions). There were also a few rifles registered with the DIAS as machineguns; they too, can be legally owned and transferred.

Needless to say, making one or buying an unregistered DIAS would be illegal, WHETHER OR NOT the owner of the DIAS owns a rifle to which it can be fitted.

Jim
Old January 12, 2000, 02:10 PM   #5
LarryLove

Those plans are for the "Lightning Link." Don't make one, highly illegal.

Aside from that, don't PAY for those plans. They can be found for free on the Internet.
Old January 12, 2000, 02:33 PM   #6
kraMrD

I got the plans for the Lightning link from http://www.wetworx.com .

This guy, his handle is 47 on AR15.com, states that this is NOT a lightning link. So I dont know exactly what he's selling.

M.
Old January 13, 2000, 04:46 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Any "part or combination of parts" that can be used to make a semi-auto rifle fire full auto comes under Federal law as a machinegun, in and by itself, whether or not it is installed, and whether or not the owner also possesses a semi-auto rifle of the type it is designed to convert.

In other words, own an unregistered DIAS, get caught, go to jail.

Before someone flames me on carbine parts: no SINGLE part of the so-called "M2 Kit" can by itself convert an M1 carbine to M2 configuration, that is where the "combination of parts" comes in. The same rules apply. If you have the conversion kit, you have a machinegun. If it is registered, fine. Otherwise, it is illegal.

Jim