The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 22, 2004, 11:44 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

So feral hogs are nocturnal?

I never see them - how do you hunt them then?
Old November 22, 2004, 12:10 PM   #2
CJNies

First we scouted them on horseback. They were very acceptable of horses allowing us to obsrve them at less then 100 yards. We were careful not to shoot when they could possibly associate horses with gunfire. We would ride off and then stalk on foot for a good firing posstion.
we mostly hunted in this manner however we also hunted them as we would deer. Find where they slept and where they ate and waited along trails.
I'm sure baiting would be effective also.
Old November 22, 2004, 07:32 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Just because you don't see hogs does not mean they are nocturnal. That is jumping to a conclusion without valid reasoning or the assumption that just because you are out in daylight and don't see themt hat they must be nocturnal.

They are diurnal. Depending on the environment, they may exhibit crepuscular behavior so as to avoid too much direct sunlight. Some even exhibit partial nocturnal behavior. Pigs will adapt any number of ways and seem quite flexible on a individual basis.

If you aren't seeing pigs in the daytime, stop making so much noise!
Old November 24, 2004, 01:59 PM   #4
Long Path

Pigs tend to let you know they're around by plowing up the ground. Scout the low bottoms. You can put in some monitoring stations to find out it they're around. Take a post hole digger and make a 4' hole, into which you pour a pound or two of deer corn/feed corn, some sugar, and some milk. Then kick the dirt back into the hole. Don't worry-- if there are pigs around, they'll find it. Check these stations weekly. If the pigs have found it,you'll find a large wallow there where the hole was. Gives you a good jumping off point, whether or not you plan to bait them.
Old November 24, 2004, 06:26 PM   #5
mete

Our new budget, $338 Billion, includes $50,000 for Missouri to control wild pigs !! Aren't there any hunters in MO ???...A new definition of the term "pork barrel ".
Old December 4, 2004, 08:48 PM   #6
Mannlicher

Pigs tend to eat at safe (for them) times. Full moon is a great time to go after them. Most seem to bed down in the day, and like deer, eat at sundown, and sun up.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 6, 2004, 04:44 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Thanks. Long path, that's good info. I'll try that with my new post hole digger - sounds simple enough. Need to look for full moons to hunt them I guess, or get night vision goggles, as I don't see well enough at early dawn or late dusk to take good ethical shots with my eyesight. So if deer and hogs eat at sundown, and sunup, what do they do in the middle of the night - also eating then, or usually resting in the mid-night time frame?