The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2002, 09:29 AM   #1
vampyre

Bullets for .44 Mag

Here's one that's probably been discussed as much as the .45acp vs 9mm thread from Hell. What's your favorite hunting bullet for Whitetail/Black Bear/Boar in the .44 Magnum?

I killed a (as in one, large statistical sample it ain't , ) white tail buck a couple years ago with my 6" S&W 629 and couldn't see where the 240gr XTP's had expanded very much. I think I'll try again this year, just haven't decided which bullet to use.

TIA

Rick
Old February 17, 2002, 11:14 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

About the only definitive and convincing info I've read comes from Ross Seyfried. For hunting, he urges the use of a lead bullet with a large meplat. I've used 250- to 260-grain bullets loaded from plinking to full house, but never hunted with them.

And, of course, you can go on up to 300 grains...

FWIW, Art
Old February 17, 2002, 11:23 AM   #3
Fatelvis

A 240 grn XTP (in the boiler room), of any of the three listed, will do the trick. Was is a broadside shot , at the Whitetail? Possibly through the lungs?
Old February 17, 2002, 12:36 PM   #4
wizard 1

You can actually do up to 405gr, with certain cast bullets. A 300gr XTP will do wonderfully on just about any critter you want, as long as you do your part and don't try longer ranges.
Old February 17, 2002, 06:12 PM   #5
gyp_c2

I'm curious...
What was the detail on the load you used with the XTP?
I've had very consistent results with them in the past and wonder just what the rest of the details are on that load and the shot you made.

Distance
Where hit
Reaction to hit
Anything you can remember might be revealing...TIA
Old February 17, 2002, 07:57 PM   #6
PALongbow

I'm using the 200 grain Hornady XTP for whitetails. If you hit em' where your suppose to a 200 grain bullet will do the job.

Ron
Old February 17, 2002, 08:04 PM   #7
vampyre

First round was a broadside shot through the lungs, little damage. Second round was a quartering shot that went low, hit the right rear and left front leg. After a bit of tracking the third shot through chest at about 10 yards put him down for good. I wasn't too thrilled with the tissue damage from any of these (or my marksmanship).

Load was the 240gr XTP/24.0gr W296/CCI Large Mag primer from a 6" Classic Hunter.

Maybe I just found a deer that didn't feel like being harvested.

Rick
Old February 17, 2002, 10:08 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

BEST

I suggest for best JHP results the superior Swift A-Frame.

If you want to spend less I recommend the 300g XTP-HP.

If you definitely want through-and-through holes I highly recommend a 320g (275g for S&W's) WFN from Cast Performance (Beartooth offers superb lead bullets, too).

W296 is the correct choice; new Starline cases for 'steamrollers', please.
CCI350 or Federal 155's.
Redding Profile Crimp, heavy.

(If your aim is true any bullet will do...)

Boom.
Old February 18, 2002, 12:13 AM   #9
vampyre

Well I guess I'll just keep trying with the XTPs as they are the most available and affordable around here. Once upon a time some of the gun shops carried 250gr cast bullets by a local caster with a long nose, two grease rings and excellent grease not the crayon looking stuff everyone uses today. They were superbly accurate and didn't lead even with fairly heavy doses of 296. Those might have been just the ticket for Seyfried's recipe.

WESHOOT2,
I think I'll take your advice regarding "shooting true" before taking to the woods this fall and practice a bunch.

Thanks guys

Rick
Old February 19, 2002, 07:10 PM   #10
sricciardelli

Just how far do you have to track a two-legged deer with 44 caliber holes in his lungs?

I don't think your problem is bullet, it is bullet placement.

I have been using 240 grain bullets out of a Ruger SBH with open sights on deer since God created them, and have never had the results you are describing. Generally they are one-shot kills, in the lungs, at ranges of less than 100 yards.