The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 09:11 PM   #51
MP-44

Great thread. I am picking up a 1990 BHP that the owner rates as 100%.

I would like to put factory walnut grips on it, I see them on ebay, is there other/better sources?

Holster suggestions?
Old February 9, 2013, 10:05 PM   #52
Chesster

Ebay for factory wood; CDNN use to have some Herretts at a good value; Esmeralo O'sheehan(sp?) has some good wood a bit pricey though; Dennis Marschal grips are good and good price.

I use an old El Paso Saddlery Combat 88 for a belt concealment holster.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 10, 2013, 03:33 AM   #53
shootniron

Nothing.
Old February 10, 2013, 06:52 AM   #54
Pilot

Quote:
Nothing.
What do you mean? Nothing to add? No comment?

Or do you mean you only like the polymer guns the gunstore likes to sell you? Anything constructive to add?
Old February 10, 2013, 08:04 AM   #55
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
What do you mean? Nothing to add? No comment?

Or do you mean you only like the polymer guns the gunstore likes to sell you? Anything constructive to add?
LOL

Pilot, some people like going into a thread and saying the opposite of whatever everyone else is saying in an non-constructive manner just to jerk people chains. Most of the time they don't even have real time with what they're going against. Just doing it for attention. You really think if he has time with a BHP and really had an issue he'd just say "nothing."? And now he'll probably make something up as a response or laugh at this and not respond at all cause its true.

Anyways!

Mine have been flawless. Both of them. With the magazines from the 80's. One was from my pops. The other from his brother, my uncle. Both are now heirlooms and shooters. But aren't carried.

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:39 AM   #56
Thespis

My guns tend to divide themselves into two functional categories. The first very small category is for those few guns that are incapable of achieving even the limited accuracy which my 70+ year-old eyes, body and experience are capable of delivering. I think, for example, of the Taurus model 62 pump .22 rifle that I foolishly purchased in search of a gallery gun clone. The Taurus, alas, proved unable to hit the broad side of a barn from within the barn. The second, much larger category is for those guns which are capable of greater accuracy than my eyes and body can deliver. Here, my BHP is at the top of the heap. The ergonomics of this pistol are incredible. And more than any other gun I own, the BHP truly seems to transform me into a better shot at the range. It's simply a brilliantly designed and built firearm!
Old February 10, 2013, 06:27 PM   #57
MP-44

I just picked up this 1990 BPH today. Sold as unfired and I can't find a mark on it. Factory walnut grips are already on the way.

Old February 10, 2013, 08:04 PM   #58
jaughtman

^^^

I pretty much have the same pistol:

I put Spiegle's on mine - fits my hand much better than the factory ones. You should check them out.

J
Old February 10, 2013, 10:48 PM   #59
James K
Member In Memoriam

Most of the time when a post has something like "nothing" (love that phrase), it means that the poster had second thoughts or found that what he intended to say was already covered. Since there is no way to delete a post, he edits it out and inserts "deleted" or "nothing".

Jim
Old February 10, 2013, 11:08 PM   #60
jmstr

I have 4, 2 in 9 and 2 in .40. I only have one Glock.

I agree with everything people have said about how great it is, except praise for the trigger. The trigger is the one thing that needs to be tuned for me to accept them. Stock, they seem to have a 7-10 lb trigger. I like mine between 5 and 6 lbs. Possible to do with the Hi Power, but not easy. And no real way to shorten the long reset.

James K, you said
Quote:
Even by the end of WWII, its 13+1 capacity made it tops in that category among service pistols. At that time, of course, double action automatic pistols were almost unknown, though Walther was working on the PP model.
Don't forget the Walther P38: a more common sidearm in WW II than the Luger, from what I've read. DA/SA with the locking block design used in Beretta's 92, from what I've read. But it was an 8 round single-stacked magazine. The P38 was the first DA/SA handgun I know of that was mass-produced.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:12 AM   #61
DATL

Well I guess the thread initially didn't specify Browning only Hi Powers so I suppose I can post up a picture of my Hi Power clone: FM Hi Power.

I got it from a sporting goods store that was going out of business when I was 21 (9 years ago). It was SUPER inexpensive. I think I paid only a couple hundred for it tops. I really don't remember but know it had to have been under $300? It shoots AMAZINGLY. It has never FTL, FTF, of FTE EVER. Not only is that more than I can say of some "safe queens" I have- it is saying something because it got kicked around in my Jeep, taken kayaking, camping, hiking, and dirtbike/trail riding through rain, sleet, snow, and tons of dirt. I had it duracoated black & grey as you can see. Believe it or not most of the guys that I have let shoot it have offered to buy it. Some of the guys have been really knowledgeable of guns. One of which was actually a gunsmith. It really shoots that good.

Old February 11, 2013, 04:58 AM   #62
Chesster

DATL, other than the finish, I find the FM performance up there with the FN. A big plus over the FN is the price. I have bought some for as little as $200 NIB in the day. They take the FN ambi safety assembly with no problem which is my big requirement as a lefty.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 12, 2013, 07:29 AM   #63
SCDeac82

It has to be the best looking design ever imho.

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 12, 2013, 07:53 AM   #64
ScottRiqui

Buying one this afternoon! The local Marine Corps Exchange has had two in stock through all this panic madness, even while almost everything else on the shelf has been snapped up. I know there's at least one Standard, which is the model I'm looking for because of the polished finish. I'm just not sure if it has fixed or adjustable sights.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:50 AM   #65
sandbag

It All Just Works Right

The Browning HP is so admired for a number of reasons.First,it is ergonomically well designed for even smaller hands and yet has a high capacity.It's a natural pointer and has great balance in the hand which offset the less than ideal trigger.It is totally adequate in terms of accuracy for HD,SD and general range use.It's not a competition firearm.It is very easy to take down and reassemble for cleaning.It has a magazine disconnector-that is strictly a matter of personal preference-I can take it or leave it.All told,it is an enduring design,and the Mark IIIS is particularly reliable in feeding ammo and handling hotter rounds.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:20 AM   #66
1stmar

Scott, it's been 25 years but I don't recall the exchange selling firearms, is this new? How is the pricing?
Old February 13, 2013, 10:30 AM   #67
ScottRiqui

The is the Marine Corps Exchange near Naval Station Norfolk. I didn't buy my first gun there until 2005 or so, but I think they've been selling there for a while. Prices are pretty good, and the "no tax" things helps. You could probably do cheaper online, perhaps ever after paying a transfer fee, but sometimes you just want to come home with a gun that day!

Got my Hi-Power there last night. They had actually sold the one Standard they had left, so I got the Mark III instead. The black epoxy finish is still pretty nice. Cleaned it up last night and I'll take it to the range after work today. Now, if my 9mm reloading dies would show up, I'll be in good shape!
Old February 13, 2013, 02:48 PM   #68
Pilot

Quote:
They had actually sold the one Standard they had left, so I got the Mark III instead.
Anything made after 1989 is going to be a MK III. It is interesting Browning now calls its basic model with the plastic grips and epoxy finish the MK III. If I were to get another one, that would be it, then I'd replace the grips with Spegels, do the mag disconect, throw in a 28lb hammer spring, and carry the darn thing!

Congrats, btw.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:19 PM   #69
Bart Noir

Grips, holsters, magazines

During one of my conversations with Craig Spegel (gunshow in Portland OR) he mentioned that the various versions of the P35 (Grande Puissance) have just a little variation in the frame, so that sometimes a little fitting of the grips is needed. And I still want to buy as set of his product for my Mark III. The palm swell improves the feel and boy howdy, do they look good!

It only took me some time and good lighting to carefully sand the inside of the grip panels until they settled quite flat against the frame.

Many holster companies still make products for the HP. Since the slide is so slim it fits nicely IWB.

There have been so many magazines made for it, that you can still find them without too much effort.

Bart Noir
Old February 13, 2013, 03:24 PM   #70
Bart Noir

I had the .40 but sold it as I didn't like the balance. The heavier slide just wasn't right for me.

And I had a 9mm HP that had been made in India. At some point after WW2, the Canadian company Inglis (which built Hi Powers and BREN guns) sold the tooling to India. The finish was simple mil-spec Parkerizing and the front sight was staked in crooked. But it worked. I just wanted nicer ones, which I now have.

But the round hammer will bite my hand all the time. I guess I hold it too high, or have a deformed right hand The Mark III spur hammer has never bitten my hand.

Anybody else have this issue with the round hammer?

Bart Noir
Old February 13, 2013, 03:39 PM   #71
larryh1108

Hey Bart, hammer bite with the round hammers is quite common. I've had that issue as well. A high hold and/or meaty hands helps create this with BHPs and the 1911 as well.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:01 PM   #72
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Anything made after 1989 is going to be a MK III. It is interesting Browning now calls its basic model with the plastic grips and epoxy finish the MK III. If I were to get another one, that would be it, then I'd replace the grips with Spegels, do the mag disconect, throw in a 28lb hammer spring, and carry the darn thing!
Thanks for that, pilot. I didn't know enough to go by anything other than the Browning catalog, which just identifies the two variants as "Standard" and "MK III".

Has the ambidextrous safety been around since 1989 as well? When looking at aftermarket grips, many of them don't say anything about compatibility with the ambi safety, so I'm wondering if it's been around for long enough that all of the new grips will work with it unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; February 13, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:05 PM   #73
thedudeabides

Not sure why the Hi-Power never became as popular as the 1911. There aren't dozens of clones floating around and a huge competitive shooter following. It's one of the best 9mms made... ever.

...yes, I understand that they were THE gun of choice of militaries, police, govenments, etc. for decades, but I can't just walk into my LGS and ask for a Springfield, Colt, Sig, Kimber, Wilson... etc. Hi-Power and get pointed to the hallowed box full of steel-framed goodness.

I had an old FNH Hi-Power once. I sold it because I was young and dumb. I haven't owned a 9mm as good since.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:51 PM   #74
RickB

Worldwide, the HP is much more popular than the 1911. In the U.S., why would a 9mm pistol intended for the French army be more popular than our own service pistol?
Old February 14, 2013, 04:34 PM   #75
Sharpsdressed Man

I keep hearing this "intended for the French". Does anyone have a reference for this? As far as I know, the French never had a contract for Hi Powers. It was a Belgian made weapon, sold to the Chinese and Brits, and several other European countries, but I have never heard of a French issue. Then the Germans took Belgium over, production was started in Canada for the British forces, and later a plant was built in Argentina for licensed production.