The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1
greentick

those crazy RCBS customer svc folks

Soooo I have a 308 rcbs sizer die that developed a scratch that was scoring my brass. I contacted them by email to see how much they would charge to polish it. Polishing is free, just send a check for $5 to cover return shipping and a few examples of the brass. No problem. Stripped the die to just the body itself.

I also sent in a 223 die that I got a case stuck in and ended up ripping the entire head of the brass off in an attempt to remove it. Stuck a note in saying if it appeared unfixable just to sent it back.

Both were x-dies with the special mandrel/decapper assy.

They sent back both dies, polished up and with new mandrel/decapper assy and locking rings.

I am going to email them to confirm that they don't want the extra parts back but having had stuff serviced by them before I already know the answer.

If this is their way of earning my repeated business its working
Old September 30, 2012, 01:36 AM   #2
TennJed

Their customer service is legendary. Honestly I don't see many complaint from any of the reloading companies except SmartReloader (china)
Old September 30, 2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Mike40-11

I did buy a SmartReloader inertial puller though. I mean, c'mon, how bad can they screw up a hammer?
Old September 30, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4
billcarey

The great difference with RCBS is you don't have to rely on a specified "warranty" to make things right. Whether you bought the equip new or used 20 yrs ago, they still make it right. Most of the parts they send are replaced due to operator error and have nothing to do with being worn out or defective.

bc
Old September 30, 2012, 01:36 PM   #5
chiefr

Having been reloading for over 40 years, I too consider I made the right choice purchasing RCBS equipment. I have been able to get replacement parts for some obsolete equipment I purchased many years ago at no cost to me other than a phone call or email.
Old September 30, 2012, 01:52 PM   #6
roberto mervicini

my dog eat the rcbs rock chucker primer catcher tray, I call them to purchase a new tray, they informed me that they are not allowed to ship outside US territory, but they ask me why I want to purchase only the tray....I told them because my dog eat it.... at this point the person at the other end told me:" that is different sir, since is covered by guarantee we could ship the replacement part immediately.".... few days later I got the part no charges in the mail.
Old September 30, 2012, 05:31 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I did buy a SmartReloader inertial puller though. I mean, c'mon, how bad can they screw up a hammer?
Ask RCBS, Lyman, Redding, and just about any other reloading company out there.
They all spent decades selling varied designs that only lasted about 5 years on the market, before the tool's reputation for breaking was so bad that no one would buy one.
Finally, pretty much everyone gave up and went to one of the Quinetics-style pullers, after a single company managed to get it (mostly) right.

Inertial bullet pullers require quite a bit more engineering and testing than most people think. Plus... they're probably the tool most frequently used incorrectly by reloaders, which further contributes to the likelihood of breakage.

There's quite a bit more to it than being 'just a hammer'.

Not to mention.... if you break one of the pullers from a more reputable company, they'll ship a new one right to you.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:38 PM   #8
SL1

I ordered a bullet-specific nose punch for an RCBS seater die

from Midway. When I received it, I found that it did not fit in my (very) old RCBS die body. So, I called RCBS to see what I needed to get to use the nose punch. RCBS simply sent me a new die body for free. Not even charged shipping cost. Their customer service folks really aim to please, and I'd say that they shoot 10X.

SL1
Old September 30, 2012, 09:06 PM   #9
stu925

I wish other companies would take this approach to customer service. Electronics & outdoor power equipment come immediately to mind. I'd love for Troy Bilt to send me a new engine for the 3 year old lawn tractor that threw a rod this summer but I doubt that'll happen. Oh well at least I know if anything ever goes wrong with my Rockchucker RCBS will take care of it.

Stu
Old September 30, 2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Forest

my two favorate collors are green and blue . Green for RCBS and Blue for Dillon both have the best custoner service in the world of reloading equiptment. wish other companys would take notice and do the same thing . Forest