The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 2, 2009, 11:25 PM   #1
AboveNBeyond

USPSA Match (Duration)

Hello all,

I was wondering, how long would a typical USPSA take? Maybe 12-20 people competing?
Old January 3, 2009, 03:15 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hi. It really depends on how well organized the match directors are and how much help they have/get from the shooters. Setting up or taking down. Some matches, with 20 shooters, can take half a Saturday. Some will take the whole day. However, once you've shot, nobody will chain you down. Helping, even for an hour, before or after you shoot, is a good thing. Every little bit helps. Mind you, if you're in a rush to be some place, you won't shoot as well. Throws off your concentration.
Match results will be posted somewhere at your club.
Old January 3, 2009, 09:54 AM   #3
9mm1033

In my area with @ 35/40 shooters, starting the matches between 10 and 11, with course breakdowns, we're out of there no later than 3 PM.
Old January 3, 2009, 05:14 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

more shooting, less other crap of real life!

Seems like they're never long enough for me......

Figure 1000 start, 1500 finish.
Old January 3, 2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Ken O

Depends on a lot of things. How many stages, how many strings in a stage (this can be the killer), how many squads/ROs.

So if you figure six stages, and 60 seconds of shooting each stage, you are actually shooting 6 minutes max. The rest of the time you are picking brass, pasteing, waiting to shoot, etc. So, its up to how organized the match is. I have seen only a four sage matce take six hours. And, have saw a six stage match take just an hour and a half. The latter was in Dorr, MI, I couldn't believe how they could do it. I haven't shot there in a few years, this kind of jarred my memory and I should make a point to make it down there next season.
Old January 13, 2009, 02:14 AM   #6
Amen

We start at 8 am and are there until between 3 and 6 pm. We only run 3 stages, but we have had upwards of 35-40 shooters at a time. In Iowa weather also plays a part. In the winter we have short stages and in the summer we have longer stages. It also depends on how many "workers" are at a particular match; nothing slows the action like one person taping targets, setting steel and picking up brass.

So to make a long story short, it depends on the how the club operates(squads or single shooter), how many stages, how many shooters are involved, how many people are re-setting stages and just how cold it gets in Feburary.