The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 22, 1999, 08:16 PM   #1
Joe the Redneck

I was interesed in getting a silence pistol or a short barrled rifle as an investment. As I have a corporation I'm not concerned about the LEO sign-off. What I want to know is, what rights do the ATF have in keeping track of the AOW. Are we talking kicking the door in at midnight, or a letter saying "Dear Mr. The Redneck please bring the Gemtec Pistol in." kind of thing.

I looked at the ATF site, but like most "dot govs" it was pretty hard to use.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place and thanks for the help.
Old November 22, 1999, 08:47 PM   #2
danbrew

Technically you do not have to produce the firearm/paperwork to *anyone* unless they have a warrant. If it is a local copper asking around, I'd tell them it was none of their business and tell them to hit the road. If it was ATF, I'd direct them to my attorney and be as cooperative as possible.

You're not going to hear from ATF unless they have reason to believe that YOU were involved in some sort of illegal activity with YOUR legally registered Title II device.

As with all advice given on the internet, I'm no attorney. Seek competent legal advice before you get yourself in a jam. But I still wouldn't product any firearm or paperwork without a warrant -- by this I mean if they came knocking. If you're out shooting somewhere and the cops show up, you should show them the paperwork to prove you're legal.

danbrew :->
Old November 23, 1999, 11:41 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

A possible problem with registering under a corporation is that should the corporation dissolve for any reason the class III equipment must be disposed of (sold off, handed in to BATF etc) in a legal manner. You may not be able to keep all your "toys" depending on which classification they fall under (post 86 DS etc.).
Old November 25, 1999, 10:08 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

It is my understanding that BATF does not need a warrant to inspect your full-auto weapon, short-gun or silencer. They must, however, make some appointment for a visit at a time reasonably convenient to you. These visits, from what I read, are often more than a year apart...

Via the small print you sign, they have the right to verify your possession and control. Possibly your security; I don't know. I, myownself, would be happy to know that anybody owning a machine gun has it well secured from theft...