The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 13, 2019, 04:13 PM   #1
offroadmatt

Help Identifying rifle (Mauser???) with NO markings

Alright you guys saved me once on a Turkish Mauser with a missing bolt. How about some help on this thing. I have no idea what it is. The only marking is some crests stamped on the bottom and one faded on the side. Im fairly certain the rifle was sportrirzed at some point as it’s chambered in 7mm-06 Imp. and has a nice wood stock that was glass pressure bed some time ago. The safety is really throwing me off. Trigger looks like a Mauser style. Front looks like a mauser ring. Claw extractor makes me thing Mauser. But that safety.... Also unsure about the recoil lug. I'm sure one of you guro's will take one look and know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6265.jpg (87.9 KB, 390 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6267.jpg (85.2 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6297.jpg (119.7 KB, 303 views)
Old January 13, 2019, 04:14 PM   #2
offroadmatt

Some more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6271.jpg (166.2 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6295.jpg (78.3 KB, 197 views)
Old January 13, 2019, 04:19 PM   #3
offroadmatt

If dimensions are critical I can get receiver diameter, trigger guard screw spacing, etc.... Possibly even pop barrel off for tenion thread diam. and pitch if none of the other stuff helps.
Old January 13, 2019, 06:32 PM   #4
oldscot3

Enfield model p17 probably
Old January 13, 2019, 06:33 PM   #5
oldscot3

The bolt handle was reforged I guess as originally they were sort of "dog legged".

Also the rear sight "ears" or "wings" were removed so the rear bridge could be reshaped for accepting a scope mount.
Old January 13, 2019, 06:37 PM   #6
oldscot3

After the war Remington continued production, selling them as the model 30.
Old January 14, 2019, 09:34 AM   #7
offroadmatt

I feel like a moron. I even looked at enfields in my two hour search of the internet. The rear sight threw me way off. Thanks for the help. Whoever "sportirzied" this thing did a pretty good job. The receiver is perfectly reshaped. And the mag well was opened up nicely. The bolt is jeweled as well as the forged bolt handle. The bolt was also modified to cock on opening. Which is why i have it. The cocking piece is broke and the gun fires when closing the bolt. Looks like this thing will be getting a new dayton trigger and cocking piece.
Old January 14, 2019, 12:51 PM   #8
Blindstitch

It looks a lot more Model 30 than M1917. But I wouldn't be surprised if parts were interchangeable. I thought there were a few more variations to that style but I'd have to check in my bolt action rifle book.

If it were a m1917 then the scope mount is probably covering the manufacture marks and serial.
Old January 14, 2019, 02:05 PM   #9
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadmatt View Post
I feel like a moron. I even looked at enfields in my two hour search of the internet. The rear sight threw me way off. Thanks for the help. Whoever "sportirzied" this thing did a pretty good job. The receiver is perfectly reshaped. And the mag well was opened up nicely. The bolt is jeweled as well as the forged bolt handle. The bolt was also modified to cock on opening. Which is why i have it. The cocking piece is broke and the gun fires when closing the bolt. Looks like this thing will be getting a new dayton trigger and cocking piece.
Someone put a lot of work into Sporterizing this one.
For me that safety was the dead giveaway of it's identity.
I would guess it started life as a military 1917 action.
I think it's a neat action and if mine see if I could restock it ...7mm-06 Improved, that sounds like an awesome project .
Gary
Old January 14, 2019, 10:05 PM   #10
oldscot3

The magazine well may have been opened up but then again maybe not, they were pretty long to begin with. A-Square used those actions back in the day for some of their custom magnum caliber rifles.

Also, I didn't see any pics of your floorplate; issue P14s and P17s had a drop to them. A pretty common mod when sporterizing was to cut and reweld them so they were flat.

Thirty years ago those rifles were cheap (real cheap), I had a couple I played with. I think I still have a P14 action in a drawer somewhere, I wanted to build a custom 405 chambered rifle.
Old January 15, 2019, 09:33 AM   #11
offroadmatt

I don't have any pictures of the floor plate with me. But I'll be sure to post one later. Also going to take the scope off and see if there is anything under it as I need a S/N for my books. Does the "Flaming Bomb" on the left side of the receiver date it earlier then a Remington 30? My understanding is that was a mark used by the Ordnance department. Can't recall if Remington made any of these for the war. Or if they adopted the design after.

I only think the receiver opening was opened up as it doesn't have a stripper clip cutout. But I'm not certain if all did to begin with.
Old January 17, 2019, 12:21 PM   #12
armednfree

1917 with the ears removed. Common at one time. Hell for strong action. Or commercial. With no markings I would say commercial.
Old January 20, 2019, 02:50 PM   #13
offroadmatt

Well wouldn't you know. I pulled the scope and mount off. And plain as day "U.S. Model 1917" Remington Serial Number XXXXX.
Old January 20, 2019, 08:05 PM   #14
oldscot3

Did I win a prize; maybe I get a gold star sticker?
Old January 22, 2019, 11:14 AM   #15
offroadmatt

I'll definitely buy you a cold beverage if our paths ever cross! But for now you should at least give yourself a pat on the back.