The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 9, 2019, 07:31 PM   #1
t4terrific

Colt .357 Magnum King Cobra

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-357-revolver/

I am going to have to get one of these 3” .357 Magnums from Colt when they are available.

The article claims it will have the brushed stainless finish instead of the matte finish. It looks awesome in the pictures!
Old January 9, 2019, 09:11 PM   #2
UncleEd

It'll be interesting to see how it fares and what its actual
selling prices will be.

Wonder if the frame/cylinder will match up to the Ruger/Smith
L-frame size and allow use of already plentiful speed loaders for
those models.

With Ruger 3- inchers, especially the Wiley Clapps, and Smiths
3-incher 686s, one can't help but wonder if Colt, despite its
name heritage, isn't decades late and and not just another
also-ran against the biggies like Ruger and Smith.
Old January 9, 2019, 09:15 PM   #3
t4terrific

Today’s Smith and Ruger revolvers leave a big gap in the DA revolver market.

Modern Smiths are basically Smiths in name only compared to the classics. Rugers are still just Rugers.

A quality Colt can be a game changer. Maybe a fine new revolver can be had once again.
Old January 10, 2019, 01:23 AM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

No new Colt DA along the lines of what's coming out will be any kind of game changer.
These are adequate revolvers, but "fine" does not apply.

Largely MIM, no hand fitting, completely outsourced for parts & only assembled by Colt.
Denis
Old January 10, 2019, 08:20 AM   #5
t4terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
No new Colt DA along the lines of what's coming out will be any kind of game changer.

Largely MIM, no hand fitting, completely outsourced for parts & only assembled by Colt.
Denis

Compared to S&W and Ruger, you’re not proving a thing.

Compared to Today’s S&W and Ruger, it doesn’t take much to make the best <$900 revolver on the market.
Old January 10, 2019, 12:45 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

I was saying two years before Colt brought out the new Cobra that any new Colt DA revolver would be built to compete with Smith & Ruger, on their level.
That meant no more hand-fitted & highly polished DAs, and it meant cheaper production methods just like Smith & Ruger.

Colt has actually taken that even further with complete parts outsourcing & no hand fitting at all.

Absolutely NO game changer in quality, and certainly not the finest or best revolver in its class.

It is very important to understand that these new revolvers are not meant to compete or compare with older classic Colts.
New ballgame, but a game "changer" only for Colt, not for either the industry or the market.

Buy one or a dozen, I don't care.
Let's just keep the hype realistic.
Denis
Old January 10, 2019, 01:06 PM   #7
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleEd View Post
It'll be interesting to see how it fares and what its actual
selling prices will be.

Wonder if the frame/cylinder will match up to the Ruger/Smith
L-frame size and allow use of already plentiful speed loaders for
those models.

With Ruger 3- inchers, especially the Wiley Clapps, and Smiths
3-incher 686s, one can't help but wonder if Colt, despite its
name heritage, isn't decades late and and not just another
also-ran against the biggies like Ruger and Smith.
It’s a small frame revolver. I’m guessing there are a number of speedloaders out there that will work, however I’d guess that L-frame sized speedloaders would not. It appears to be the same size frame as the Cobra currently on the market

FWIW most people that own the new cobra tend to give favorable reviews and it’s at least on par with if not slightly better than comparable S&W and Ruger’s. The MSRP for the King Cobra is $899 and the street price will probably be pretty close to that for the first number of months while buyers grab up the early production guns. I’d bet after a year or so the price will drop at least $100.
Old January 10, 2019, 02:01 PM   #8
UncleEd

Reddog81,

My fault for jumping to the conclusion that "King" Cobra meant
a return to at least the frame size of the 1980s/90s King Cobra.
Seeing the fixed sights made me think of the Ruger Wiley Clapp.
Old January 10, 2019, 02:24 PM   #9
reddog81

I had assumed/hoped it was a larger frame when I first saw the pictures also. A 3” .357 Magnum would be a nice gun, but for me it’s a little too much gun for carrying and kind of small for a gun you’d want to shoot a bunch.
Old January 10, 2019, 02:58 PM   #10
arquebus357

Don't forget Kimber.
Old January 10, 2019, 05:34 PM   #11
jwise

I’ll check it out, but I really like L frame smiths.
Old January 11, 2019, 12:20 AM   #12
TimW77

Colts

Don't care what anyone else says...

I have extensive, ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with Colts...

My current King Cobra is wonderful and one of my favorites (along with Gold Cups in both .45 and 10mm)...

Have no need for a 3" .357 with fixed sights but if they come out with a 6" King Cobra I'm buying one!

Don't know what all the complaining is on the new Cobra. No experience yet with this new model but all of those I have handled had very good fit and finish and great triggers.

Again, I have no need for another gun of this type but if/when they come out with a "new model" Diamondback, I'll be buying one of them also...

Tim
Old January 11, 2019, 01:43 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

FYI: same old Trooper lockwork.
Old January 12, 2019, 07:59 AM   #14
rodfac

Quote:
No new Colt DA along the lines of what's coming out will be any kind of game changer. These are adequate revolvers, but "fine" does not apply.
Agree...looks to me to be Colt, trading on its name, and what about a decent set of sights on it? You better pray that they're regulated properly or, short of trip back to the factory, it's damned near impossible to get the POI where you want it.

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 12, 2019, 07:20 PM   #15
KyJim

I was never interested enough to seriously look at the new Cobra since it was in .38 spl with a two inch barrel. I am interested in the King Cobra since it is a medium weight .357 magnum with a three inch barrel. For some reason, I have a thing for three inch barreled revolvers --- I currently have five.
Old January 29, 2019, 05:46 PM   #16
rock185

DPris, The new Cobra and "King Cobra" don't look like guns actually manufactured by Colt to me. Perhaps just the frames, or? Are they actually manufactured by Colt, or are they manufactured by another company, say like the 1903 semi-autos?

I realize that it doesn't really matter to Colt fans who makes them. I'm just curious. I've only owned three Colt DA revolvers, but these new revolvers just don't look like something Colt would actually manufacture. Put their name on yes, like the Chinese knives, but actually manufacture, I don't know......
Old January 29, 2019, 06:46 PM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

The 1903/8 is manufactured by a totally separate company that LICENSES the Colt name for it, no part of those guns come from Colt.
No parts or service available from Colt.

The Cobra & King are entirely outsourced for ALL parts, but ASSEMBLED in-house by and at Colt.
Colt does service those.
Denis
Old January 30, 2019, 02:42 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

A grand plus(Gunbroker. MSRP is $899 on Colt's site.) is a great deal of money for a .357 revolver. Most of the price is for the name. Colt, like many manufacturers, has been marketing based on the name for eons.
Old January 31, 2019, 12:09 PM   #19
gnystrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
I had assumed/hoped it was a larger frame when I first saw the pictures also. A 3” .357 Magnum would be a nice gun, but for me it’s a little too much gun for carrying and kind of small for a gun you’d want to shoot a bunch.
Kimber beat Colt to the market with their new DA/SA K6s. The perfect size for a .357 carry gun and a butter smooth action to boot.
Old February 2, 2019, 12:55 AM   #20
labnoti

I saw one under the glass counter today. Was marked $999. The store was a little higher on everything, but probably only by two or three percent. It was also a big sporting-good type store that doesn't negotiate. I wasn't shopping for a King Cobra at any price, but at that price, it's hard to see the value.
Old February 2, 2019, 04:28 AM   #21
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post

Denis
Exactly, they're not anywhere near the quality of King Cobras of yesteryear.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old February 2, 2019, 12:31 PM   #22
223 shooter

Quote:
Exactly, they're not anywhere near the quality of King Cobras of yesteryear.
The original King Cobra was almost my first handgun back in the late 1980s and at the time I thought it was one of the nicest looking revolvers available.

Colt is trying to cash in on the King Cobra name with the current version which appears like some kind of castrated version of a once fine looking gun. They could have come up with another name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt-King-Cobra.jpg (27.5 KB, 30 views)
Old February 2, 2019, 05:23 PM   #23
dgludwig

My wife and I are looking for a relatively compact, s/s, six-shot, da revolver, chambered in either .327 Magnum or .357 Magnum. A 3" long barrel and adjustable sights are preferable but not mandatory. A smooth, light da trigger pull is important and we'll spend extra money to get it if necessary. The "best" trigger pull is a somewhat subjective thing but size and weight can be measured objectively.

We're considering getting one of these revolvers: the topic of this thread being discussed, the Colt .357 Magnum King Cobra , a Kimber K6 or a Ruger Model 101 (chambered in .327 Federal Magnum). The revolver will be mostly for self-defense and will spend much of its time in a locked safe in her vehicle.

There is no store near us that have all three examples in stock so it's hard to compare them without being able to handle them all at the same time. Accordingly, we have two questions at the moment that I'm hoping someone here can address:

How do these revolvers compare in size and how do their da trigger pulls compare? Thanks for all opinions and inputs.
Old February 4, 2019, 05:03 AM   #24
silvermane_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 shooter View Post
The original King Cobra was almost my first handgun back in the late 1980s and at the time I thought it was one of the nicest looking revolvers available.

Colt is trying to cash in on the King Cobra name with the current version which appears like some kind of castrated version of a once fine looking gun. They could have come up with another name.
Exactly there 223 shooter, the King Cobra in the pic was the "real deal", the new "King Cobra" is nothing more than a mass production MIM wheelgun that you are paying for the privilege of having the letters C-O-L-T on the side of it.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old February 5, 2019, 02:52 PM   #25
labnoti

Dgludwig,

In the small size, also consider the LCR. I've heard the trigger is one of the best. It's now available in 3" .357. To be clear, I'm not recommending it, just that you consider it.

If I were to recommend something, it would be to size-up, and have her carry the revolver on her rather than locking it in the car.

A little bit larger revolver is not more difficult to carry and it's much easier to shoot well. If it were to be kept in the car, then there's really no reason for a small revolver at all. A little bit larger is a S&W Model 19 Carry Comp. They don't offer all those features in a SS gun, but the Model 66 is the same size and stainless.

All of these guns I would recommend using with .38 Special unless you're handloading to the level she can control best. I wouldn't recommend factory 357 unless the gun has at least as much mass as a 686. But good .38 ammo can be very effective even from a short barrel, and it's safer to carry that than it is to have a hand-canon locked in the car. These aren't just my suggestions for a "woman," but from my personal experience.

The Colt doesn't seem like a good value. At actual gun-store prices, I'm seeing Model 19 Carry Comp's for $100 less, and to me, there's no comparison. I'm not just a S&W fan boy. I have Rugers too. But look at what you're getting for the money and how it suits your purpose.

But carry is so much more valuable than locking it in the car, so if it would get her to carry it more, then I'd say get the Kimber with the short barrel or a Model 640 Pro Series, but that's getting off this topic. My on-topic point was to point out some alternatives that are better than the Colt in every way.

Last edited by labnoti; February 5, 2019 at 03:00 PM.