The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2018, 02:40 PM   #1
Deer hunter88

Winchester or savage

Does anyone have any experience with the Winchester SXP rifled slug gun? I'm torn between the Winchester and the savage 220.
Old December 5, 2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Blindstitch

If you're going to scope it I would go with the savage vs a pump gun that you can take the barrel off and have to fine tune every time for zero.

Which one fits you better?
Old December 6, 2018, 10:32 AM   #3
MarkCO

The SXP definitely. Better build quality and a better bolt. The SXP/P12 is my favorite pump design.
Old December 20, 2018, 10:53 AM   #4
300Whspr

I would say that it all depends on you and where you hunt. If you hunt open fields and longer shots are the order of the day, I'd go with the Savage. But if you hunt more in the woods and follow up shots are more likely to be needed, go with the Winchester.

I've got 2 older Savage 210F slug rifles... One for me, One for Her. They're incredible. We hunt more open fields, and follow up shots are not usually required. If I'm hunting deep in the woods, I leave the Savage at home and take my 870.

The reason we got the Savages is because the wife originally had a Rem 1100 with a deer barrel on it. As soon as she saw a deer, it was "spray and pray"... and she never did kill a deer with it. I traded in that 1100 on the first Savage for her... she knew she could not just spray lead with it, and it made her settle down and actually aim. Since then, she's only missed 1 or 2 deer with it... she's deadly, I wouldn't want her to be shooting at me.

I was so impressed with the Savage that I bought for her, that I bought one for me for the next deer season. It is just as good as hers.

But like I said earlier, if I'm "in the woods" I still take the 870 over the Savage.