The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2018, 10:57 AM   #1
OhioGuy

Walther CCP

Anyone have one?

I'm confused by its dimensions after seeing one in the store. It's not much smaller than the PPQ -- barely -- but has half the capacity. The PPS can have the same capacity but is way slimmer.

If someone wants the larger frame for better control, why not just get the PPQ? Is it mostly price?

Confused as to what market this pistol serves.

They just released a new version of the gun and it seems to sell well.
Old September 14, 2018, 11:05 AM   #2
RickB

I briefly had both a CCP and PPS for a test.
They are very similar in size, but the CCP is just enough bigger that it's definitely a "belt gun" rather than pocket gun.

The CCP is extremely comfortable in the hand, the three or four other people who handled it while I had it agreed.
Apparently due to the gas-delayed locking system, the recoil spring is very light and the slide easy to rack (I've heard others not feel the same about it).
The only real reservation I had about it, was that it does not have a blade-style "safety" in the middle of the trigger, so I wouldn't put it in a holster without having engaged the manual safety, but the safety is right-hand only, and cannot be switched or made ambidextrous.

Some have poo-pooed the CCP as being little more than modified BB gun, as it's made in the plant that makes airsoft guns with the Walther name.

16-minute review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeGDQzoQgec
Old September 14, 2018, 11:36 AM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Anyone have one?

I'm confused by its dimensions after seeing one in the store. It's not much smaller than the PPQ -- barely -- but has half the capacity. The PPS can have the same capacity but is way slimmer.

If someone wants the larger frame for better control, why not just get the PPQ? Is it mostly price?

Confused as to what market this pistol serves.

They just released a new version of the gun and it seems to sell well.
Supposedly the slide is very easy to rack. That, plus external safety, makes me think the market for it is the same as that of S&W's new .380 M&P -- newer shooters, casual shooters, and those with strength problems.

I'm slightly interested, just because of the unusual operating mechanism.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; September 14, 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old September 14, 2018, 04:50 PM   #4
JDBerg

I’d be very curious to shoot this Walther CCP-M2 gas blowback pistol against my own conventional locking breach Walther PPS-M2. The HK P7 was a gas blowback design pistol that I used to shoot some years back, this was as accurate as the day is long. But you had to keep the P7 clean to keep it running, and that gun would get hot as all getout if you ran more than a single box of ammo through it:

The fact that the CCP-M2 is just is so much easier to rack for most newbie casual shooters than my PPS-M2, says that there is a strong market niche for this gun, and I’ll bet they are going to sell a bunch of these!
Old September 14, 2018, 06:19 PM   #5
ttarp

The dimensions are larger in part due to the gas delayed blowback I'm sure, and it's meant to be easy to rack and operate. Internet logic for firearm design seems to follow two extremes, folks aren't happy unless it's a 9mm in an LCP sized pocket gun, or if it can hold 17 rounds. The CCCP wasn't designed to fit either of those extremes, and believe it or not, that's OK too.
Old September 14, 2018, 09:18 PM   #6
Vulcannut

My wife has one, V1, but it never grew on her or me. It’s a picky gun that only runs well on hotter rounds. It will run 124gr Winchester NATO stuff all day but standard 115 it has stovepipes quite often. Went to Walther once and made it a little better but not enough. It doesn’t come out of the safe anymore as she replaced it with a .380 EZ Shield. The .380 just runs and she likes it.

The CCP does feel good in the hand. It will get traded in at some point.
Old September 14, 2018, 11:03 PM   #7
Troy800

I bought one for my daughter. She didn't like it. Lots of FTE in her hands. I had a few FTE but not as many as my daughter did. It definatly likes the hotter ammo. Trigger was horrible, felt like sandpaper. I polished everything and that took the gritty feel out but still a long pull.

I liked the grip and seemed to be accurate. I was not fond of the trigger. Break down and cleaning is more difficult than I would like, especially for a new shooter. The rack was easier to slide than my other 9mm. Too many FTE for me to ever consider mine as an EDC.

I bought my daughter a Glock 19 and she loves it. No issues. The CCP has been a paper weight ever since.
Old September 15, 2018, 08:17 PM   #8
wild cat mccane

FYI, The CCP just got a new version called the M2. The M2 has no take down tool required.

There is talk that Walther will convert your CCP to an M2, but haven't seen it yet.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:02 AM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Some have poo-pooed the CCP as being little more than modified BB gun, as it's made in the plant that makes airsoft guns with the Walther name.
And rightfully so, judging by the quality of other Umarex guns and the CCP itself versus real Ulm-manufactured Walthers.