The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 25, 2014, 06:45 PM   #26
ClydeFrog

.380acp ....

My response;
A few years ago, a off duty Las Vegas Metro cop walked into a armed robbery in progress & had a huge shoot-out with the armed felons.

He was seriously wounded in the exchange but was able to hit several of the robbers. They were later arrested & convicted.
The brave officer returned to full police duty & was named NRA Law Enforcement Officer of the Year.
After the critical incident, the cop went from carrying a small pocket gun off duty to a full-size duty pistols with 2 extra magazines.

You can choose what you want. When it fails or falls short, then you may, may be able to learn from the event(s).
Old February 25, 2014, 07:25 PM   #27
Cheapshooter

One incident that could, or could not have been due to the caliber of the weapon used. If his shots did not hit vital areas required for instantanious stops, it didn't matter how "serious" his weapon was.
I'm sure for your one example there are ten fold where a "mouse gun" did the job perfectly well.

However, this thread isn't about a caliber war. It is to answere the question by the OP about what, and how to comfortably carry While wearing very Light clothing.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 25, 2014, 07:31 PM   #28
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaftHazard
Brian: I'll probably stick with IWB mostly. My dad carries a full size XD-M in .40, but he's a bigger guy, so hiding a larger frame is easier I guess. Any personal preferences for summer clothing CCWs?
I've been carrying a Glock 33 in a Crossbreed Supertuck since January 2009. I picked up a Glaco OWB holster a few weeks ago and it is much more comfortable but OWB just doesn't work for many situations. I highly, highly, highly recommend the Supertuck. It has been fantastic and extremely rugged, as has their belt that I've been wearing just as long.

Had I t do it again, I'd have probably bought an M&P in the same caliber (.357sig) but the Glock is a fine gun and has served me well. They no longer make the M&P in .357, or my other preference 10mm. Today, I'd probably buy a Glock 29.
Old February 25, 2014, 07:59 PM   #29
DaftHazard

In response to your shootout example;
1) I plan to carry two extra magazines in my backpack or on my person at ALL TIMES. And as was said before, if doesn't matter if you have a .380, a 9mm, or a .45. If you hit someone in a stop area on a body, he's going down. Let the caliber/gun size war rage on, but a handgun is a handgun.
2) If I walked in on a bank robbery, I hope that I would not have the ridiculous impulse to draw my weapon and start firing. Me versus 2-4 assailants who are aware of me? I don't care if you have full body armor and an AR-15, that's just straight stupid. I'm not saying what that man did wasn't brave, and possibly life-saving, but before you ever, EVER draw a weapon, the first step is to evaluate the situation...and I personally don't think that was the right thing to do in that situation with the tools that he had.

I welcome a reply, and I appreciate your opinion, but as cheapshooter said, let's stay on topic! I have already made my decision as to what type of firearm I want to carry, and it sure as hell is not a full size with two magazines!
Old February 25, 2014, 08:07 PM   #30
Spats McGee
Staff

First of all, welcome to TFL, DaftHazard!

For what it's worth, there are several IWB holsters that might suit your needs. I used to carry IWB much more often than I do now, but I used a horsehide Theis holster, and it was very comfortable. It's basically a Crossbreed Supertuck clone, and there are several other brands that are a lot like it. Galco, DeSantis, Bianchi . . . Take your pick.

IMHO, having a good belt goes a long way to making carrying a firearm comfortable. Having to hitch up your pants every few steps gets old quick. It's also a dead giveaway (to anyone who knows what they're looking for, which ain't many folks) that you're carrying. Aker, The Beltman, Galco, DeSantis, Bianchi . . . Lots of folks making serviceable belts, too.
Old February 25, 2014, 08:08 PM   #31
Polglock

642 j frame in a kydex pocket holster. Or various small pocket pistols. Colt Mustang in the pocket with holster or beretta bobcat in the pocket. I'm 6'2" 245 so fairly big and cannot iwb carry for the life of me. I've tried various nice iwb holsters and nothing worked for me. Sometimes I carry the Mustang in a owb high ride and that's second favorite to me pocket being my first pick.
Old February 25, 2014, 08:16 PM   #32
ClydeFrog

NRA law enforcement officer of the year....

Well, the Las Vegas cop was in a bad situation, you may have nerves of steel or ESP but I'm not going to second guess the actions of a sworn officer(or any license holder) caught up in a gunfight.
I agree that you need a measured response in a critical incident but if bad guys are going around with guns, then game on. I'm not going to be risk adverse or flee if I can prevent any future crimes/violence.

Many years ago, when I first relocated to where I live now(2000), there was a incident where a father witnessed his son & a few other employees caught in the middle of a armed robbery of a video rental store. The dad went to pick up his teen son when the crime took place in front of him.
The father contacted 911/sheriffs & quickly loaded two rifles he had in his vehicle. As the robbers fled the armed father pointed the rifle at them & detained the crooks until patrol deputies got on scene.
No one was hurt & the bad guys went to jail.
The local sheriff told the media; "if the citizen was a sheriff's deputy Id give him a medal".

Clyde
Old February 25, 2014, 08:21 PM   #33
subhuman

Im bit bigger than you but i carry a mid sized glock in a blackhawk serpa paddle holster just under my t-shirt, it will print depending on how i twist but most people are clueless that im packing , and im happy with the amount of weapon i have with me
Old February 25, 2014, 09:11 PM   #34
ritepath

LCP OWB...perfect size for those hot summers and an active lifestyle. Easy to shoot accurately, reliable, conceals easily, light, thin, and inexpensive.

Plenty of practice and you'll be set. Best of all you don't have to look goofy wearing pants two sizes too large or poking a gun down your pants.

In the summer I can drop the LCP in a cheap fobus holster with no belt on my shorts and an untucked T. On the other side my cell balances out the pistol. If I'm wearing cargo shorts or pants with large pockets I can toss it in a pocket holster and drop it in my front pocket, a little heavy but not too bad. If I decide to wear a belt a beltslide makes it disappear completely.

If you want something a little larger check into the CM9. If you want something a lot larger but still somewhat easy to conceal check into Shield sized single stack options.
Old February 25, 2014, 09:20 PM   #35
Garycw

The LCP's are said be be good, but didn't feel right in hand. Lightest & simplistic is Taurus TCP. Best is SigP238
Old February 25, 2014, 09:30 PM   #36
Johannes_Paulsen

@DaftHazard,

You are thinking the exact same thing I was thinking when I bought a firearm for concealed carry purposes seven years ago now: I'm not going to change how I dress, I want to have something really small, carry it in my pocket, and have it just in case.

I say: that's a perfectly fine attitude to have when you start out. The posters above recommended some pretty good firearms. I started out with a Kahr MK9 (it was pocketable, but I found that I preferred carrying it on my hip because of its weight.) I have a Kahr P380, too, and it's very easy to carry in a pocket when needed, definitely check those out. You might also want to check out the Glock 42 (.380).

Now with all that said, once you get a gun for carry purpose, do yourself a huge favor. Buy as much ammunition as you can possibly afford for it and then take a serious defensive pistol class. You're a martial artist; you know the importance not just of practicing, but of getting training so that you know *what* to practice, and also so that you can pick up the little things. Shooting stationary paper targets is not the same thing as fighting with a pistol.

ETA: By the way, shortly after I took the class, I reevaluated a few things, sold the Kahr, and now find myself carrying a Glock 19 in IWB or OWB holsters. Why? It 'works' better for me under stress than the Kahr MK9 did - something I learned after taking a training class. I also found that carrying a pistol in an IWB holster didn't require that many mods to my wardrobe.
Old February 25, 2014, 10:05 PM   #37
DannyB1954

Diamondback DB9 for pocket carry, and a Ruger SR9C for OWB, (With a loose shirt). The width specs for the Ruger seem wide, but that measurement is including the 2 ambi safeties. Oherwise it is a fairly thin gun.
Old February 25, 2014, 10:52 PM   #38
DaftHazard

Thank you guys so much. Lots of excellent advice. I've learned a lot from this thread, and I have a much better idea of what I am looking for. Lots of great handgun and holster suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming!

And @Johannes_Paulsen, that is some GREAT advice. I hadn't even though about taking a defensive pistol class.
Old February 25, 2014, 11:01 PM   #39
Nathan

It hasn't been said, so I have to say it....a Glock "safe action" in thunderwear, clip draw, etc is UNSAFE. Give this some thought and you can see why, they trigger is too easy to pull in the holster.

Use common sense.

That said, some thing small and light in a good IWB or shoulder rig should work fine...I like CCO 1911, Kahr P40, S&W 340...small light, capable rounds, can be shot fast & accurate.
Old February 25, 2014, 11:07 PM   #40
GJSchulze

A dark shirt with patterns will hide your gun better than, say a white T-shirt. If all you wear over your gun is a light colored shirt someone will see it print. You could also try wearing a vest of some sort.
Old February 26, 2014, 09:49 AM   #41
Rifleman1776

My philosophy for choosing a concealable carry gun is that it must be concealable. I choose an LCP. It fits in my hip pocket and is no more uncomfortable than my wallet in the other pocket. I use my handkerchief as a (sorta) pad to cover the print. I don't use a holster to avoid extra material or thickness. Come summer with shorts I don't see a change in habits. For me, and IMHO, it is the perfect carry gun. I also have a Walther style PX22 and a Beretta 21A. Slightly larger and have a couple 'catchies' that can hinder pulling out of the pocket. The Ruger LCP is smooth and free of those 'catchies'. Great feature.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:39 AM   #42
Big4Freedom

My feeling is you're a perfect candidate for IWB carry. Thin guys can carry pretty large guns this way w/o printing.

Like other posts, I think you might try any of the following:

Ruger LCP or Sig P238 or Kahr .380, if that's ur thing
Sig p938 still my favorite due to size/caliber/safety/NS/etc, but more costly
Kahr CM/PM40/9 due to most caliber/for smallest size w/no beaver tail irritations. Reliability is only concern as I've only owned CM40 for three weeks now w/100rds through it thus far.
Glock 27/26 is awesome. Only drawback is weight/width. That keeps mine in safe more than on my waist but with your build, you might be fine with it. I'm 5'11" and 185# for reference.

My favorite, most comfortable/hidden holster would be the Stoner IWB w/body shield deep-conceal option, single clip, second place is Crossbreed mini-tuck or micro-clip(for .380), third choice is cheap, light, but tiny Don Hume soft pocket single clip.

Good luck and, most importantly, don't skimp on cost for this gun. A really cheap gun is exactly that. I see guys all the time buying unreliable guns to save $100. One of my recent customers insisted on a used Cobra for $150 found online instead of a new Ruger LCP I could get him for an extra $150.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:43 AM   #43
ClydeFrog

Don't go cheap!....

A big problem many new CCW license holders & new armed officers(police, EP agents, federal agents, etc) do is cut corners or buy gear-kit that's sub-standard.

A decent holster or gear might cost more but it can last years with proper care.
New synthetic & polymer designs are a great benefit. They allow a holster to be converted quickly or to be cleaned/repaired with ease.
Leather & exotics like horsehide, shark, bull, etc can work very well too.
Top names for holsters & gear include; Galco, Kirkpatrick Leather, Greg Kramer, Milt Sparks, El Paso Saddlery, Don Hume, Blade-tech, Mitch Rosen, Ted Blocker, Alessi, Mernickle, Wright Leather Works, High Noon Holsters, Safariland, Blackhawk.
I'm impressed with the Wright Leather Works Predator. It has a body-shield & a front band to aid re-holstering.
A serious concealed holster or defense rig show allow you to quickly re-holster without needing to look down or fumble around.
Old February 26, 2014, 01:48 PM   #44
Andrewh

reading all the penetration vs expansion type tests on 380, I use fmj.
Waiting for the 100 plus grain cast to come in, and will use those once I check them out.
or reload them myself, if I can find any bullets that weight.
Old February 26, 2014, 02:40 PM   #45
Carmady

I've tried:
Colt Officers Model
S&W 3913
S&W M60
Kahr MK40
S&W CS45
Back to the M60 with Barami Hip-Grip

The M60 is the only one listed above that I still have.

Now I carry the LCP in Uncle Mike's Size 10 IWB worn at 1:00. You can sit down easily and comfortably. Small and light enough to carry all the time, 7 shots (stats say most gunfights last 2 rounds). Shirt is untucked, gun is next to invisible.

Last edited by Carmady; February 27, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old February 26, 2014, 02:56 PM   #46
hodaka

A guayabera shirt and any pistol in nearly any holster you want. I carry either a commander or full sized 1911 in an IWB holster at 4:00.
Old February 26, 2014, 03:07 PM   #47
zombietactics

The real question is "how much are you willing to train with whatever gun you decide upon"?

The choice of a gun can be subjective in many ways, but some truths arise nonetheless:
  • .380 can be effective, but it's not in the same league as 9mm/.40S&W/.45ACP. It's just not. No seriously, are we still having this conversation?
  • Snub-nose revolvers and pocket-autos are harder to shoot well.
  • Bigger guns are easier to shoot well than smaller guns, given the same amount of rangetime. What that means is that very small guns (LCP, PM9, etc.) will require a greater investment of time on your part.
  • Having more bullets (of whatever caliber) is better than having fewer. Double that if you don't train regularly.

Without trying to be snarky or rude, it's important to note that you have to take a step back and evaluate your real goals. Is your real goal in life to be a snappy dresser (or whatever) ... with a firearm barely an afterthought, provided it doesn't mess with your "feng shui"? If so, stop worrying about what you get, and just get the best and cutest fashion accessory that hits your eyes.

If you are at all concerned about carrying an actual self-defense tool, this doesn't mean you have to abandon all hope in the wardrobe department. It might mean that you'll have to accommodate some compromises. One of those may be dressing "around the gun" a bit, another might be carrying a less than a super-extra-blammo firearm.

And again, the biggest thing is training and practice. If you are unwilling to make some small commitments in that area, I'd consider pepper spray as an alternative.

Last edited by zombietactics; February 26, 2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old February 26, 2014, 03:56 PM   #48
Erikbal

I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a THEIS IWB holster and really like the setup. I'll post a pic here if I can find it. The BG has been flawless and has performed perfectly for me. My dad also has a similar setup, a Ruger LCP with a THEIS IWB holster and he really likes it as well...

Very small and easy to conceal setup. Also very comfortable as well. I highly recommend THEIS holsters and he stands behind his products as well.
Old February 26, 2014, 05:10 PM   #49
WESHOOT2

I have a gun-sized wardrobe meself

A pair of KelTec P32s in your rear pockets should work.
Old February 26, 2014, 05:18 PM   #50
savit260

Quote:
In the summer, I usually wear relatively tight fitting jeans, as well as t-shirts. I'm 6-foot, 170 pounds, so pretty slim.
As long as you don't mean a tight fitting T shirt as well, you'll do just fine with an IWB set up.

Tight jeans and pocket carry don't work well together IMO. Makes an already difficult draw even more difficult. Same would be true with "Thunderware" type holsters.

If you are wearing a tight fitting T shirt with the tight pants, you are REALLY going to be limiting yourself as to any kind of practical carry.

A loose fitting dark colored T shirt will conceal a LOT of gun assuming you're using a high quality holster and (VERY IMPORTANT) a High Quality stiff belt. Dept store belts just don't do a good job of supporting the gun.

The best piece of carrying advice I ever got was to NOT cheap out on the blet/holster combo. Of course I didn't listen, and went through a bunch of junk before I started using a quality rig.

Tags
carry method , clothing , concealed carry , handgun