The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 31, 2013, 08:33 PM   #1
deputy684

Colt New Service 45, 3 7/8 in Barrel???

Anyone versed on old Colt New Service 45? Looked at this one today, Nickel,no Lanyard ring(no threaded hole for it either), front sight is flush with front of barrel (not set back like all others I've seen). Barrel measures 3 7/8 in. After WW2 were any cut down and nickel plated?
Old February 1, 2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Bart Noir

Which .45 cartridge do you mean?

Since you say it hasn't any hole for a lanyard ring, it is probably not a Model 1917 in .45 ACP.

So it is a civilian New Service and Colt made those in many calibers, to include the .45 Colt (Long Colt and let us not get started in that old argument ).

What I don't know is the choices in barrel lengths. We can both hope that somebody more informed will be telling us.

Ditto the nickel finish. If the gun has been refinished you may be able to tell by seeing that the markings are not as sharp as original. How is the horsie on the left side?

Bart Noir

Last edited by Bart Noir; February 1, 2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:09 AM   #3
deputy684

new service 45

thanks Bart. It's at a Pawn Shop, so I'm going on my feeble memory, The Horsey(lol) does look a little faint, the stamping on the top of barrel(patent etc) is ok on left side, but it looks like letters continued past the end of barrel on right side. I believe it had a 6 digit ser. no. Shouldn't the front sight set back about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from front of barrel? It's 45 long colt. I think barrel was shortened, a new trench cut for the front sight, then Nickel Plated. Can a proper barrel be obtained and installed without too much difficulty?
Old February 1, 2013, 10:47 AM   #4
PetahW

The barrel's been cut, which leads me to presume the nickel-plating's aftermarket.

While a take-off barrel "might" be found, it almost certainly won't be nickel-plated (resulting in a 2-tone revolver).

The only way I'd touch that gun, with my proverbial 10' pole, would be if I wanted a shooter (as-is) for $200, +/- (minus=better).

Old February 1, 2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Scorch

IIRC Colt New Service were offered in 5-1/4" and 7-1/2". While I have not been fooling around with Colt New Service revolvers for about 25 years, I had two in 45 Colt, a 5-1/2" that had been rechambered from 455 Eley, and a 7-1/2" that had been rechambered from 38-40 (both before they came to me), and I worked on many of them. Never say anything shorter than 5-1/2" factory barrel, although I saw many of them that had been shortened for carry. The easy way to tell if the barrel has been shortened is the lettering on the barrel, it is pretty much centered lengthwise on the barrel, and the Colt DA 45 marking is towards the frame on the left side.

The best way to tell the old nickel is that it is kind of yellowish, more modern nickel is brighter with no yellowing. I have never seen a Colt New Service factory nickeled, but it would not surprise me if they made them.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:29 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Another product of the "Fitz" mania.

Unless you want a large, awkward and heavy pocket pistol, leave it.

Jim