The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 25, 2018, 09:24 AM   #1
mantree

Side by side hammer spring rod issue

A couple of months back I was given a j steavens arms and took co modle 285. I cleaned the berral and tore it down to find that the hammer spring guide rod keeps slipping out of place on the right hammer. I am thinking that this is a issue due to adjustment somehow but I have never worked is a side by side before so I don't know. Has anyone else had and experience with this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old October 25, 2018, 10:59 AM   #2
Pahoo

It's fixable and my S.W.A.G

Quote:
I am thinking that this is a issue due to adjustment somehow but I have never worked is a side by side before so I don't know. Has anyone else had and experience with this?
I don't see an adjustment problem but rather, an alignment problem due to natural wear. You are fortunate to have a good side to compare to this bad side. Obviously, the bad side barrel was shot more often than the good side. Look at how the follower plunger is being allowed to be cocked to one side. Would not be surprised to see wear on that spring rod. Do you see that small hole at the bottom of the good side spring rod? You have one the other side as well and will allow you to compress the spring, lock/pin it into a compressed state which will allow you to remove the spring and follower assembly. Then you should better observe the wear and follow-up repairs. ……

You may have to take it to a Smith and the fix may get involved. …

It's always best to make the fix and not treat the symptom . …

Please keep us posted, good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old October 26, 2018, 04:19 AM   #3
10-96

It may not be relevant, but it seems the right spring isn't well flat round. I wonder if rotating the spring90 degrees would put more influence on guiding the assembly towards the right? Also, the center section was relieved more on the right side. Would there be a way to fashion a piece of flat spring steel and secure it in an 'L' shape to add a bit of shim on that side?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 27, 2018, 09:13 AM   #4
mantree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
I don't see an adjustment problem but rather, an alignment problem due to natural wear. You are fortunate to have a good side to compare to this bad side. Obviously, the bad side barrel was shot more often than the good side. Look at how the follower plunger is being allowed to be cocked to one side. Would not be surprised to see wear on that spring rod. Do you see that small hole at the bottom of the good side spring rod? You have one the other side as well and will allow you to compress the spring, lock/pin it into a compressed state which will allow you to remove the spring and follower assembly. Then you should better observe the wear and follow-up repairs. ……

You may have to take it to a Smith and the fix may get involved. …

It's always best to make the fix and not treat the symptom . …

Please keep us posted, good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Thanks I was trying to figureout how to remove them. I was afraid of it being wear but kind of hoeing someone had had it apart and put it back together incorrectly. Someone has been in it recently before I got my hands on it.

Old October 27, 2018, 10:34 AM   #5
Pahoo

PM coming yor way

PM coming your way and keep us posted. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old October 27, 2018, 10:43 AM   #6
mantree

It can be rotated and will ride on the hammer cam and only pops off when you drop the hammer. Which is why I was thinking it was how he spring is putting pressure on the rod. I should be able to find something to compress it in my tool box (large mechanics box stocked with every obscure tool I have ever needed for a vehicle) I'll get photos as I go.