The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 8, 2014, 07:03 PM   #1
justholsterit

New Concealed Carry Holster Opinions Needed

Just Holster It would like to get the perspective of the group here. We have developed a holster that clips to the inside of your coat, vest or other garments with inside pockets. We have filed a patent on the product and are currently Patent Pending, but we would like to get a feel for the demand for this product. You can see it by following this link... http://www.justholsterit.com/coatholster/

It does not clip to your coat but uses powerful magnets to pinch the pocket minimizing wear on your garments.

Would love to hear back from everyone. Keep in mind our holsters are Lifetime warranty.
Old June 8, 2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL!

Bearing in mind that I wear a suit or sportcoat most of the time, I have a hard time imagining a scenario in which a concealed pistol hanging inside my jacket pocket would NOT drag the jacket down on that side. I also have some concerns about the additional wear on my jacket.
Old June 8, 2014, 08:09 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

About your web site

It would be really nice if your web site allows the viewer to pause the rotation of images. It is hard to examine the images.

Do the magnets affect the draw?

Lost Sheep
Old June 9, 2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Jim243

Most shooter's are right handed, why the left handed photos? Also a lot of people are not that happy with a cross draw holster. Photo's reflect the use of the 380 pistol, a few with a larger caliber one might be more helpful for those that want a 9 mm to carry instead of a 380.

Also I would like to see photos of the jackets hanging on a dummy and how they drape rather than a jacket laying flat on a surface.

Jim
Old June 9, 2014, 12:06 PM   #5
nc-oldfart

I don't move a handgun around my body no matter if its winter or summer . IIWB carry and can tuck in if needed . A coat my not stay on as you go threw a normal day.
Old June 9, 2014, 11:32 PM   #6
JimmyR

I think you're looking at a smallish market

Problems I see:

1) Coats are often taken off while indoors.
2) I would suspect the added weight of the firearm would make the coat more uncomfortable to wear, and possibly create a sag in the coat noticiable to others
3) It could not be worn by anyone with a pacemaker, and I would hesitate wearing it near anyone who has one.
4) Magnets move around during the day. I've used them with basic name badges, and with enough movement, even assuming the magnets are perfectly balanced along the firearm and aren't loacted predominantly along the barrel and trigger guard, the gun is going to move.

My biggest problem from a marketing point is I don't see how it would work well for larger, heavier guns, but those tend to be the ones that are most often shoulder carried. It sounds like a decent idea, and I might be wrong, but I don't see it working. Perhaps a video showing us how it looks and wears might help alleviate some concerns.
Old June 11, 2014, 12:35 PM   #7
justholsterit

All Great Comments- please keep them coming

Thank you everyone that provided comments so far. These are all great comments and feedback. This holster is not designed for full size pistols, but much like the pocket holster is focused on smaller pistols to sub compacts. Sometimes you need to match the coat with the handgun, for example if you are wearing a leather coat it obviously gives you a stronger coat to carry say a Glock 27. I have worn this holster on a suit coat to a winter jacket to a spring vest. It does work well and though i noticed some tugging on my coat no one else seemed to notice. Now keep in mind this holster has interchangeable gun shells like all of our holsters giving you flexibility in the gun you carry.

As for the magnets these are super strong magnets holding at approx 27 pounds per square inch which reduces any chance of shift. I in fact testing this holster upside down to see if it would fall of the pocket and even with repeated shaking it did not.

Just wanted to give some feedback to the comments and please keep them coming it is greatly appreciated.
Old June 17, 2014, 03:36 PM   #8
justholsterit

Thanks again for the replies.-What would you improve?

So I have heard the negatives and concerns, which are all valid ones. Now let me ask everyone to go a different direction and if you where in our shoes....

What would you improve or how would you make it better??

Here is the link again ... http://www.justholsterit.com/coatholster/

Thank you again for the input and comments.
Old June 18, 2014, 12:33 AM   #9
JimmyR

I think the hard part about giving much constructive criticism is that most of the "issues" with it are inherrent to the design. Many of the concerns are similar to that of shoulder holsters, which is the direct competition for this holster, specifically the issues of removing the jacket when indoors.

You've already adressed the issues with the magnets and their liklihood to shift or sag, but that still eliminates people with or potentially around pacemakers.

As I look at this, it makes me wonder, what makes this holster better than a shoulder holster. And honestly, the biggest advantage I see is the removeable shell for the holster, and I don't think most shoulder holster guys care about that. Your ads compare it to the "custom jacket," but that market is going to be even tinier than the shoulder holster market, which is honestly a declining market in CCW.

Tags
coat holster , concealed carry , handgun holster , holster