The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 31, 2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Trapp

Saiga 12 NFA soon?

Seen the 20rd drum? Any guesses on when it be the way of the streetsweeper?

Be a kick in the pants to own, but I couldn't see paying 300 for a mag...
Old January 5, 2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Skans

Why not? You'd have to pay over $300 to get the USAS-12 20 round mag. If you want a 20 round 12 gauge shotgun without having to pay the tax, buy the Saiga now. You will probably have to register it in the future, though.
Old January 5, 2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Csspecs

I doubt it, it's not the same as the Street Sweeper... The Saiga 12 is only imported as a sporting shotgun, more likely they will go after drum magazines.

Even still I don't see how the Saiga-12 is all that big a deal, it's just a shotgun... I have one that has been converted to pistol grip, I use it for small game hunting and find that it's a little better than a normal shotgun but not that totally awesome.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Beretta686

Hmmmm...

I've got one that's already on a Form 1 as an SBS, if they were to make it a DD would I have to re-register it?
Alternatively, if you register it as a DD, does that mean you can cut the barrel down to under 18 inches?

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old January 6, 2009, 08:41 AM   #5
GE-Minigun

Quote:
I've got one that's already on a Form 1 as an SBS, if they were to make it a DD would I have to re-register it?
Alternatively, if you register it as a DD, does that mean you can cut the barrel down to under 18 inches?
I would think you would have to re-register it...the DD trumps the SBS.

Yes you can cut the barrel.
Old January 6, 2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Skans

Quote:
I doubt it, it's not the same as the Street Sweeper...
Well, I guess you are right. The Saiga is an AK based gas opperated shotgun that can hold a 20 round drum. The USAS-12 is the AR based gas opperated shotgun that can hold a 20 round drum. I'm sure that the Obama's Antis will understand the difference.

Quote:
Even still I don't see how the Saiga-12 is all that big a deal, it's just a shotgun...
I know. That's what I told BATF when they sent me that notice in the mail that it needed to be registered on a Form 1 or I could go to prison for 10 years. They just didn't see it my way.
Old January 6, 2009, 10:20 PM   #7
jmorris

Quote:
I know. That's what I told BATF when they sent me that notice in the mail that it needed to be registered on a Form 1 or I could go to prison for 10 years. They just didn't see it my way.
hmmm...they forgot to send me that letter for mine. If you wouldn't mind I'd like to see a copy of it.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:17 AM   #8
PTK

He was speaking hypothetically.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:30 AM   #9
Webleymkv

I think I remember seeing a copy of a letter someone wrote to the ATF about this not long ago. If memory serves, the ATF said that the Saige wouldn't be classified as a DD so long as it was still imported in a sporting configuration and that the issue with the streetsweeper and like were that they were never offered in a sporting configuration by the original manufacturer. Basically, a weapon's status won't change based on aftermarket accessories. I could see them going after the drums though. On a side note, I don't believe I'd really want a drum anyway. Besides their ridiculous cost, they seem like they'd make the gun awfully heavy.
Old January 7, 2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Trapp

Quote:
Besides their ridiculous cost, they seem like they'd make the gun awfully heavy.
I am sure they would. Kinda like the 100drum on the semi auto Tommy gun. All in all useless, but loads of fun if you are into that!
Old January 8, 2009, 10:13 AM   #11
Skans

Quote:
hmmm...they forgot to send me that letter for mine. If you wouldn't mind I'd like to see a copy of it.
I no longer have that letter - I did get one sometime in the early or mid '90's. I don't know how it got to me, but I got it.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:27 AM   #12
jmorris

Yet another example that crack doesn't smoke itself.
Old January 8, 2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Skans

Quote:
Yet another example that crack doesn't smoke itself.
Look, bub, I got something in the mail telling me that I had a limited time to register the gun, or it would become illegal. The letter was real. I got it. No, I didn't keep the note I got in the mail over 15 years ago. I did end up retistering the USAS-12 on a Form 1.
Old January 8, 2009, 06:23 PM   #14
jmorris

Quote:

Quote:
Even still I don't see how the Saiga-12 is all that big a deal, it's just a shotgun...

Quote:
I did end up retistering the USAS-12 on a Form 1.

Ok, I thougt we were talking about the Saiga from your 1-6-09 post.
Old January 9, 2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Skans

Quote:
Ok, I thougt we were talking about the Saiga from your 1-6-09 post.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. My point was that the Saiga is really just the AK version of a hi-cap shotgun while the USAS-12 is the AR15 version. They both basically do the same thing and have the same capacity. One needs to be registered or is contraban, while the other isn't.........yet.
Old January 14, 2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Csspecs

The USAS NEVER had a sporting exemption from DD, the saiga does.

The USAS is not, never was and never will be a sporting shotgun. I use the saiga-12 for hunting as do many many people.. I don't own the drum and likely never will, its just not something I see as useful.. The 10 round sticks I can see.
Old January 14, 2009, 05:56 PM   #17
Jim6298

saiga-12

I have seen them and looked them over i did not see any real quality in them. they looked kind of junky.