The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 8, 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Bountyhuner

Yet another A5 newb looking for help

Hey fellas, new to the forum, and I like what I see. I have some questions about my ole Browning A5. I've looked at several charts and I'm still not satisfied. My numbers seem to fall in a shady area. I'm torn Between Belgium and America here. I hope maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. Browning A-5 12 gauge. Ser. # 308144. Note the FN in circle. All the numbers match, they even have the seriel number engraved into the wood stocks on the for-end. This number has me confused. Is it American, or Belgium ? When (I say 1950)and where (I say Belgium) is all I'm concerned with. And that doesnt really matter to me, I'll never sell it. I just like to know Ya know ? Any info y'all can share is greatly appreciated.

"Broom handle" stock..

Old March 8, 2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Bountyhuner

A couple more shots

Old March 8, 2013, 12:05 PM   #3
PetahW

It was made by FN (Fabrique' Nationale) in 1950, in Herstal, Belgium- just like every other Browning A5 was, until Browning shifted A5 production to the Miroku Gun Co of Japan in 1976.
(The current Browning A5 is an inertia-driven Benelli clone)

Browning hasn't made their own guns since John Browning started selling/leasing his patents variously to Winchester, FN, Remington, etc over 125 years ago.

Browning's corporate headquarters has long been located in America, and "Browning's" imported into the US are usually so marked - nothing unusual or confusing there, for anyone familiar with the company.

Old March 8, 2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Bountyhuner

Like I said..."Newb". Seems I was right all along. I just wanted to hear from somebody else I guess. I had read a few places that stated FN didn't come back online til 51, and that Remington made the guns for a while during the war, so I was a little confused by that number. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Bountyhuner; March 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:55 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, The "A-5's", that Remington made with the Browning name stamped on them while the FN factory was occupied by German forces during WWII, were actually Remington Model 11's (itself based on the Browning patent) - with SN's preceded by either an "A", a "B", or a "C" (depending upon what gauge it was).

Those Remington's are often referred to as"American Brownings" - AFAIK the only "A-5's" so called.

Old March 8, 2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Bountyhuner

Thanks for the info. I'm learnin I actually have a Model 11 in the safe. Needs some new furniture, but as is, it's still a great shooter. Had it out last year at the dove field and it still drops'em like a hot rock I inherited the Browning from my Dad, it was his dad's, so its been in the family a while. Trying to decide weather to take it out and shoot it or not...Its a fine shotgun, in great shape. Very tight, nice, clean shiny bore. Doesn't appear to have been shot much, if at all. I cant remember Dad, or Granddad ever shooting it...