The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 4, 2014, 11:29 PM   #1
ZVP

Got some scary advice today!

I went summer sandal and ammo shopping today at Big 5 Sporting Goods.
First the sandals, they had just what I needed!
I don't believe this!!!
The ammo:
Not so good!
I tried for .22 LR, store was cleaned out., tried for .38Specials. Store was sold out. lastly, I tried for 20ga Buckshot and not only were they sold out, it dosen't even appear on the Managers Inventory!
She said she'd never seen it in the 3 years she's had that store!
They carry a very small supply of 20ga shells in any size shot. They had plenty of 12's, even Buckshot!
She said in her opnon I'd better look on line or at a gunshop for them because the future didn't look so bright there. BTW she also advised me that ammo sales took place at about 9:00 Friday Mornings and quickly sells out! RF is limited to the total box count and box sizes, you may only be able to get 2 or 3 boxes. Same for CF.
Now I was just about to buy a 20 ga Pump for the HD gun since my 12ga Pump is a bit to hard kicking for my wife (she's small and it really hits her!).
I have a nice 20ga SxS and she shoots it OK with heavy #4's. Multiple shots don't seem to bother her but she's never tried Buckshot. To me it actually kicks about the same as high base #4's, so she should be able to handle it...
I am now really concerned with the overall availibility of 20ga Buckshot at all! To get the mesly 2 boxes I have on hand, I had to attend two gun shows about 6 mo apart! Nobody had any 20 Buckshot Loads anywhere, On line, in shops, anywhere!
Now this has really alterd my plans for that slick little 20 ga pump! There's no use laying out either the price of a new gun or if I got lucky, a nice used one!
I dunno why the shortage is as serious as it is in that gauge? I mean people shoot Turkeys and Deer back East with 20's but even though these guns are considered Women, Kids or Beginners guns, that there would be such a shortage!
Man, these days you really need to do your homework before purcchasing another gun!
It looks like we'll have to stick with the SxS 20ga and maybe I can find some of the reduced recoil 12 ga loads I haave herd about for the 12 ga?

ZVP

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 25, 2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: politics.
Old March 5, 2014, 12:38 AM   #2
Deja vu

it is harder to find but it is out there. Online is the best bet.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old March 5, 2014, 12:45 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Shop online. Your expand your range of potential sources dramatically.

There is a lot of 20 ga. out there, just not 20 ga. buckshot. However, a very good source for you is ammoseek.com. Check them daily and order when you see something pop up. Right now they show some at CTD, but that is now gone when you check the CTD website. Timing is everything.

FYI, Natchezss.com has...
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...03&src=tpCtgAm

in stock right now.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 25, 2014 at 09:16 AM. Reason: response to political comment.
Old March 5, 2014, 01:19 AM   #4
gyvel

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/20-gauge?ss=00
Old March 5, 2014, 06:23 AM   #5
Virginian

It's cyclical around here except for 22s. NO body ever has any of those. But the various other stuff, including 20 gauge comes and goes. The other day they had a big batch of 38 Special, and no 5.56. The home defense/watermelon shooting crowd seems to gobble up buckshot for some reason. There is very small difference energy wise between that and the el cheapo birdshot but they like to talk about how powerful it is. That and slugs.
Old March 5, 2014, 07:26 AM   #6
ZVP

Thanks guys! I saw those atNatchez!!! Now I may yetget that 20ga pump after all!
ZVP
Old March 5, 2014, 08:10 AM   #7
Double Naught Spy

LOL, buy a case or two of ammo first!

As I noted above, CTD isn't actually in stock anymore. I didn't mention the other listing. It was for just 1 round.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:04 PM   #8
RCL

Maybe it's now just a regional thing? Most of our local stores have good supples of ammo in all calibers and guages (except for .22 LR). Our local Gander Mt. has tables of 9mm, .40 and .45....but again, no .22 LR.
I hit a gun show Saturday (300 or so tables) and it was probably the best show I've seen in years....lots of handguns, rifles, shotguns new and used. Lot of guys selling ammo, even some reloading supples (including primers) which I haven't seen any of in a while.
Things seem to be turning around some, although the prices are still up there a little.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:19 PM   #9
mete

Interesting ! But more and more dealers and customers are leaving NY State ! The politicians are upset about them leaving but "don't understand why "
Old March 7, 2014, 02:18 AM   #10
340 Weatherby

Rather than going through all the trouble, let her keep the twenty gauge double handy. She is familiar with it, has already shot it, and isn't afraid of it. I believe if you shot an intruder with a heavy pheasant load of 4's, he's going to be begging for forgiveness.
Old March 7, 2014, 06:03 AM   #11
Woodslab

I gave up on 22's. I have more 357 than 22s anyway. So I bought a henry lever 357 and plink with that.
Old March 7, 2014, 07:10 AM   #12
Deja vu

Yeah around here all shotgun rounds are fairly common. You can find 22lr if you are willing to show up at a store as soon as it opens up. Around here most ammo stores get a 20ish boxes every few days.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old March 7, 2014, 07:35 AM   #13
amd6547

I was considering getting a Weatherby semi auto 20ga...untill I started looking at ammo availability.
Birdshot and slugs, no problem. Buckshot? Never saw a box. 12ga, buck is widely available in different sizes.
Not wanting to be tied to mail order only, I bought a semiauto 12 instead.
Old March 7, 2014, 09:44 AM   #14
tahunua001

as much as I hate shopping at walmart... 20 gauge has been the only thing reliably found in their case since all the hubbub last year.
Old March 7, 2014, 12:53 PM   #15
Dragline45

Around here everything in the shop I frequent except .22 and oddly enough .380 is turning back up on the shelves, and even the 2 box limit is gone on most major calibers. Although for some reason Walmart still has an empty pistol case, but there are plenty of 12g, 20g, and rifle rounds to be had. The good news is the shop I go to has ammo prices on par with Walmart. My reserve of 500.22lr rounds is still sitting untouched, and the .22 ammo I put aside to actually shoot is dwindling away and I only have about 150rds left. Really wish the days of walking into any gun shop and walking out with a couple bricks of .22 would come back.
Old March 8, 2014, 01:12 AM   #16
bitttorrrent

Yes I don't understand the .22 shortage. I still have a big stash but want to find in a store somewhere.
Bass pro Hammond In. None. But did have some others 9mm and .40
Miejhers Stevensve mi. None
Old March 8, 2014, 03:07 AM   #17
Slopemeno

I don't have the numbers handy but the bottom line is the demand for rimfire ammo is about double the available supply.
Old March 8, 2014, 08:01 AM   #18
veamon

For 22 your best bet is to go to a gun show. The prices are as gouged as they are anywhere else, but at least you don't pay for shipping. I picks up a brick for $40, cheaper than I've seen anywhere else.

The bad thing is that ones taking inventory of my ammo, and I have 50 round boxes with the price tag at $1.45..
Old March 8, 2014, 11:09 AM   #19
shortwave

^^^And this is exactly what is helping to keep the .22 'shortage' going.

People willing to pay $40 a brick for .22 that the vendor most likely bought at Walmart for $22-$23.
Old March 8, 2014, 04:43 PM   #20
veamon

We'll i can't wait months before it's available at regular prices.
Old March 8, 2014, 07:06 PM   #21
shortwave

Quote:
We'll i can't wait months before it's available at regular prices
I mean no disrespect but this is the same excuse everyone else that is out paying $40-$75 a brick is using.
Just the thought alone of willingly letting someone take advantage of me in that fashion would not let me sleep at night. It's not the $, but the principal. And knowing I was helping further the 'shortage'.

I'd shoot at gnats with a slingshot before I'd pay that for .22's.

If ya have a bow, rifle, shotgun, bp firearms or even an air rifle ...why not shoot them instead. Let the .22's set on the self and grow mold for awhile.

Apologies, as all this .22 business is off topic for this thread.

Far as 20ga. buckshot, I seem to see it at LGS 's but never see 00 or even 000 buck. Always game loads in 6's or 7's.

Last edited by shortwave; March 8, 2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old March 8, 2014, 10:51 PM   #22
Slopemeno

We all need to sit on our wallets for a while.
Old March 8, 2014, 11:08 PM   #23
veamon

I understand the point and hate it, but at the same time, I don't want to wait a year-plus to shoot some 22.
Old March 10, 2014, 10:16 PM   #24
fatbill

I feel like the fact that more stuff is available on the internet has contributed to the lack of products in walk in stores. I am very particular about buying the EXACT model of gun I want, and they used to always have it my local gunstore. Now I have to order it off of the internet because they will not have it in stock. I guess they simply can't compete. It is sad because it seems that not too long in the future everything will be ordered off of the internet, and we won't be able to walk around in a store seeing it's whole inventory.
As far as 20 gauge buckshot, I did a quick search and found this:http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/chea...379_11620.html
I don't think finding your other ammo should be too hard, but I have noticed I've never seen anyone use 20 gauge buckshot

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 25, 2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: politics.
Old March 11, 2014, 11:26 AM   #25
WV_gunner

20 gauge buckshot is a bit of an oddball, I bet you'd have a problem finding it before the shortage happened.
People around here do use 20 gauges to hunt with, but usually squirrels and deer, so 6 shot, 4 shot, and slugs.
Finding .22 LR is impossible still. Luckily I bought a box of Federals for about $16 at Cabella's just before all of this happened. I still have around 300 bullets left.
What I hate is I can't find .45 Colt.
Closed Thread