The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 21, 2010, 03:25 PM   #101
CMichael

Too expensive of a loss.
Old June 21, 2010, 03:29 PM   #102
Edward429451

But a darn good idea nonetheless, all but the destruction of the arm. Apply critical thinking skills at this point and lots of good ideas come up.
Old June 21, 2010, 05:19 PM   #103
CPTMurdoc30

There was a guy on another board talking about this same thing a few days ago.

Cmike is that you? I seen all the ruckkus over that FTF.com and was amazed that they were so mean to you.

Looks like you found a home here though....

BTW I am rimfiremcnutjob over there.
Old June 21, 2010, 05:39 PM   #104
CMichael

Thank you for your kind words. I got banned there. I am not surprised.

I simply had a difference of opinions and they started insulting me. There is a real herd mentality there.

They stated with what a stupid schmuck I was that I would even think of spreading my guns in my house. How, an intruder would use it against me.

How I could even think of disagreeing with them who all are great and powerful gun experts and know it alls :barf:

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

I am happy to have a new home.

I never met such an intolerant group, and I have been on many message boards.

Last edited by CMichael; June 21, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old June 21, 2010, 05:57 PM   #105
73-Captain

I'm not that paranoid.

"I'm not that paranoid. If I'm home, I have one loaded gun--all I need. All of the others are locked up safely. Who in their right mind needs to stash loaded guns all over the house "just in case"?"

Has absolutely nothing to do with being paranoid.

It has to do with not being stupid.

"Stagger Lee", take the blinders off and you might see other people have different needs than yours...

Due to points of entry and because of the size, shape and floor plan of a home, one gun may not provide adequate access.

That is the problem in my home.

In addition to my duty weapon, I keep one loaded gun in my bedroom and another in the opposite corner which happens to be the living room/kitchen area.

C.
Old June 21, 2010, 06:06 PM   #106
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Assuming you don't have kids around, you could always leave a nice shiny .44mag revolver out in plain sight, loaded HOT +P+ with a plugged up barrel.

Let 'em take it!!
Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!
Old June 21, 2010, 06:50 PM   #107
FreakGasolineFight

Quote:
I've heard some say that they leave a loaded handgun on the night stand next to the bed. Good idea? Yes? No?....What if the bad guy gets into your room and grabs it before you are aware of his presence? Like me, I'm sure many of us are heavy sleepers.
I have the same problem (heavy sleeper). I keep my gun under the pillow where it is neither visible nor attainable without waking me up.
Old June 21, 2010, 06:55 PM   #108
CMichael

You may want to reconsider putting it under the pillow.

I thought this was really good.

http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=xsxbn3-2ohg
Old June 22, 2010, 12:21 AM   #109
FreakGasolineFight

Quote:
You may want to reconsider putting it under the pillow.
I'm not sure I'm going to stop keeping my hd gun under a pillow because a dude with an admittedly killer 'stache warns me against it. I'm not even sure what he means by a 'really bad night'.

The gun is kept chamber empty, full magazine. It is inside the bottom pillowcase (two pillows) against the non-open end, and both the pillow and the gun are positioned so that I can slip my hand neatly under the pillowcase and retrieve the gun. As it is kept inside the far edge of the pillowcase, it never actually contacts my head, yet it is still kept so that it is impossible for anyone but me to retrieve the gun.

I'm a heavy enough sleeper that keeping a gun anywhere that I am not in direct control of it, even while asleep, is potentially dangerous. And by heavy sleeper I mean "I literally have to set three separate alarms to make sure I wake up in the morning."
Old June 22, 2010, 08:44 AM   #110
Morgoroth

Quote:
A good loud watch dog never hurt either.
I always heard that any size dog was the first thing BGs looked for.

The other strategy I have is that there is nothing in my house worth stealing.
Old June 22, 2010, 12:54 PM   #111
CMichael

I think by a really bad night, he is saying that you can accidently shoot yourself in the head or someone else.

Last edited by CMichael; June 22, 2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old June 22, 2010, 01:06 PM   #112
JonnyP

Lots of jabs in this thread. Here's my view.

1. Being prepared does not imply paranoia.
2. A readily available gun on each level of the house seems a good idea.
3. It's not always practical to have a gun your person at all times.
4. Don't recommend ever leaving a gun in plain view and unlocked, even if you live alone as the BG might get to it first.
5. Seems to me the best compromise is to get one of those mini safes for each floor of the house, bolt it to the wall in a not-so-obvious place but readily accessible, and keep a loaded gun in each.

Admittedly, some of the arguments in this thread seem to me to be fairly close-minded. I personally am not going to fault someone for having multiple guns around the house, nor for anyone wishing to keep one on his/her person all the time. Having been the victim of multiple break-ins throughout my life, I can understand wanting to be armed and ready no matter how a person chooses to do so. It's really none of my business anyway, even though I might say something to a close friend if I thought it would be better if he (fill in the blank).

Everyone has their own way of doing things. I say do what makes you feel safe in your own home, keeping the safety of invited guests in mind, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
Old June 22, 2010, 01:11 PM   #113
CMichael

I completely agree.

We are ultimately responsible for our own castle, and need to do what we think is right.
Old June 22, 2010, 01:21 PM   #114
JonnyP

I'd also like to add one more point.

For those with multiple guns around the house, having several of the same gun with the same caliber and means of operation seems a good idea too. Not required of course, but a good idea I think.

But if you do have different guns, like say a Glock in one location and an HK in another, make sure you're proficient with both and can operate either one blindfolded. Also don't recommend switching locations. Just adds confusion when the adrenaline is flowing...
Old June 22, 2010, 02:37 PM   #115
FreakGasolineFight

Quote:
I think by a really bad night, he is saying that you can accidently shoot yourself in the head or someone else.
Pretty tricky to shoot yourself without a round in the chamber, and I'd be very surprised if it happened even with. Probably best to stick to double-action pistols, though, which I do.
Old June 22, 2010, 02:54 PM   #116
CMichael

Unless you accidentely leave a round in the chamber.

One of the rules of gun safety, always assume that guns are loaded.

In any case I don't want to come across like I am lecturing to you.

We all need to do what we feel is best for our own household.
Old July 3, 2010, 10:30 PM   #117
yrralguthrie

Replying

It is fine to say something like "I would do it this way" or "I think this is better"; however, "Who in their right mind" or "that's a stupid way to do it" is simply out of line, showing their limited experience and knowledge.

Sort of like a person living in Minnesota asking in January "what sort of jacket do you wear that allows easy gun access"; and a person in Arizona replying "you have to be crazy to wear any jacket".

Sometime I ask for an opinion of another. Very seldom do I ask another to denigrate my person or position. Some on this forum and virtually all other gun forums never post without bad mouthing someone or something. I post on several types of forums and I can literally count negative comments on gun forum and negative comments on for instance a machinist forum and on an RV forum and the negative comments on the gun forums will easily outnumber the other two by a very wide margin. Lots of folks on gun forums seem to believe their way is the only way and don't mind saying so. During my working career I was not known as a sensitive person, but I'm a diplomat compared to some here.

To a moderator, maybe you can allow this and then cut off discussion as I'm fairly sure it will elicit some response. (grin)

ljg

ljg
Old July 4, 2010, 08:49 AM   #118
CMichael

I must respectfully disagree.

This is one of the most civil gun forums I have been on.

I got banned in firearms talk. Why? Because I went against the herd.

Someone started a thread of a police officer using force, and the title of the thread was "Is this cop justified". I said no and gave my reasons why.

I got called an idiot and name called. I did not name call back. I stayed on the issue.

Then I started a thread about having multiple loaded guns. The herd said no that they wouldnt' have multiple loaded guns. I said that I do for the obvious reasons mentioned here.

I, once again, got name called, and personally attacked. I tried to stay with the issue. I got banned.

As I stated this place is the most civil gun oriented forum I have been on. I also personally have gotten valuable information from here.
Old July 4, 2010, 12:26 PM   #119
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Some on this forum and virtually all other gun forums never post without bad mouthing someone or something.
TFL Staff generally doesn't have a problem with the "something", but we can have a BIG problem with the "someone".

We don't stifle other people's opinions of issues; in fact, we encourage lively debate. Staff members here don't slap the ban button simply because we don't agree with your stance on the issue (unless, of course, that advocates illegal or dangerous practices, or is so irresponsible as to cast bad light on our RKBA). Staff will debate you the same as anyone else, and challenge you to defend your stance.

The Problem occurs when posters switch from attacking the issue to attacking the poster. Personal attacks are one of the fastest ways to getting banned here. There's a huge difference between "that's stupid" and "you're stupid".

Quote:
To a moderator, maybe you can allow this and then cut off discussion as I'm fairly sure it will elicit some response. (grin)
The only way I'll cut it off is if it gets too far off topic, which was, I believe, "Multiple Loaded Guns in the House".

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 5, 2010, 07:05 AM   #120
yrralguthrie

Civil

I don't know if admin. was saying my post was ok, or I should stop...so I'll post a reply.

CMichael, this may be the most civil gun forum you've ever been on, I'm not debating that. I'm saying that gun forums on the whole are not very civil. Too many people with strong opinions that use the opportunity to attack a person rather than just state their position.

I am not relying on " a feeling" or an "opinion" when I say this. Again just considering two other forums, both very active, during the last year there have been no instances of "you have to be crazy" or anything close to that. These are things that go on continually in any gun forum I've read. I can almost read some minds right now, "well if you xxxx are so sensitive just go the xxx away". I'm probably about as sensitive a hog in a bucket of slop.

I just get tired of having to wade through attacks on people and their position from folks that cannot except anyone's ideas or opinion other than their own.

To keep this close to on the subject.

The original question was something to the effect "what do you think about keeping multiple guns in different parts of the house".

There are quite obviously valid reasons for doing this "without being crazy"

I keep a gun by my TV/internet chair and felt pretty good about it. Until I began to think of the times I would not be able to get to it in case of a intruder.

It would not always be possible to retreat to a "safer room" with a shotgun.

On the other hand if I had children in the house, I would not leave any guns unlocked anywhere in the house. Probably have a gun in a locked biometric safe.

Most forums have a policy that "no questions is a dumb question" Dumb question or not on most gun forums the poster is likely to be verbally abused and perhaps get their questions discussed.

One last thing. To those who did verbally abuse the poster about the number of guns to keep in the house...the exact same replies have been used by anti gun people about anyone keeping ANY (for emphasis not yelling) guns. Loaded or not, safe or by the chair. The exact same words...

ljg
Old July 5, 2010, 05:11 PM   #121
chatman_55

I keep a shotgun in the closet of my spare room, and my pistol is at my bed side every night. I live alone and when I do have guests depending on who they are I may or may not leave the shotgun in the room with them.
Old July 6, 2010, 01:23 AM   #122
CyberSEAL

Quote:
I'm not that paranoid. If I'm home, I have one loaded gun--all I need. All of the others are locked up safely. Who in their right mind needs to stash loaded guns all over the house "just in case"?
I guess someone with a different opinion isn't "in their right mind". Depending on your living situation, having guns placed around the house may be a good idea. I have a large house, and prefer not to carry 24/7 while at home. I have a gun in the garage, locked in a rolling toolbox. When I'm working in and around the garage, I'll just make sure my tookbox is unlocked and I'm good-to-go.

I also have one in my kitchen, not locked but kept in a safe and out of the way location. Unless you're carrying everywhere around your house, you will find yourself unprepared and running for your sole weapon should the need arise.

Be prepared.
Old July 6, 2010, 09:44 PM   #123
hawk727

Just me and the wife. All the kids are gone. I keep a loaded gun in every room, out of sight. They only get moved when I shoot and clean them.
Old July 7, 2010, 07:30 AM   #124
geetarman

What Hawk said.

I have a two story house and our kids are grown and gone.

I have some of my guitars upstairs and some in a rear bedroom where my computer is.

I keep a 4506 upstairs, a SIG P229 by the bed and a Bushie by the bedroom door. I keep a 5906 in the computer room and a G21 in the living room.

In the garage I keep a Security Six in the toolbox roll around. My safe is there but there are no loaded guns in it.

The troubles with illegals is getting worse and if someone comes in my door, I want a gun very close by that I can reach with minimum effort and I want it ready to go.

Looking back on this post, I wonder if it would be a good thing to reduce brand variation with one to maximize commonality of controls?

The actions required to fire the 4506 and 5906 would include moving the safety off as well as the long SA pull. I could replace one with the Springfield XDM and the other with a G17 and both are similar in operation. I might have to think on that some.

Geetarman
Old July 7, 2010, 12:06 PM   #125
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Looking back on this post, I wonder if it would be a good thing to reduce brand variation with one to maximize commonality of controls?
That is exactly why my choice od SD/HD guns are what they are. In spite of being a long time competitor with service rifle and pistol my choices are revolver and shotgun because they are both the guns I use for most of my fun plinking and serious defense practice.

When I wake, I wake easy but it still takes a bit of time to get all the gears in synch and up to speed and my revolver is already in my hand with no safety's to mess with, no rounds to chamber, no magazines to install its point and go. By the time I am on my feet it gets swapped for my turkey gun even though the short barreled semi is right next to it. It gets used more often and is natural in my hands and instinctive to use in a hurried situation. If a shotgun muzzle doesn't put a crimp in a home breakers plans a load of turkey shot will and I can pump that gun and shoot it as fast as I can the semi plus I am more accurate with it. My Winchester and Mossbergs load, and function the same so it really doesn't matter which one I have in my fists. The only oddballs are the single shots and the bolt action shotguns and they are not in the mix for home invasion scenarios.

Daytime when I am wide awake and all my gears are running in the same direction I could just as easily go with my 1911A1, lever action, Garand or anything else in the house but at dark thirty I want simple and instinctive to protect my family and my home. Friends, family and neighbors know to stick head in door of living room and announce themselves, everybody else has no business in my house. Best not to perturb Old Grumps at dark thirty if your intentions are not honorable.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--