The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 12, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Gun Show Saturday, Revolver coming home with me, Suggestions?

I'm going to the gun show first thing Saturday Morning. Its a given that a Revolver will come home with me. I want an open top. So which one? What is the difference in the 1851 Navy / Army and the 1860 New Army? I really don't know how to tell the difference in the two other than the caliber, obviously I can tell the difference between a 36 and 44. I've already read all about the Walker / Dragoons and the various models of the Dragoon. I'm gonna read up on the net too, but I wanted you guys' opinions. And I know some of you will probably tell me it doesn't matter because I will end up with them all anyway LOL. Take Care
Old January 12, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
deerslayer303

Navy, should be .36 with naval scene on the cylinder and the Army is 44 cal with not engraving on the cylinder? And you think, I will **** the seller off by asking them to disassemble it? I mean do you guys disassemble these things before buying? A used one of course
Old January 12, 2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Kadmos

To me the biggest feature difference is that the Army has a round barrel and the Navy does not.

As far as which to get it's personal preference, I kinda like the Army better, sexier lines and .44 holes are easier to see

I don't see a dealer at a gun show taking it apart for you, or letting you take it apart, maybe taking off the barrel but that's about it, and even that might be a stretch. I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask, but I put it in that category of highly unlikely and possibly causing a degree of annoyance.
Old January 12, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Hawg

The 60 Army also has a naval scene. There are .44 caliber 51's out there but they're not historically correct.

51 Navy.

60 Army

Old January 12, 2012, 10:54 PM   #5
deerslayer303

Thanks Hawg for posting those pics. I think the '60 Army will be the one to look for but of course I won't discriminate. I love the way the forcing cone looks on the open tops, weird but thats the first place my eyes go when I look at them.
Old January 13, 2012, 05:25 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

At the shows here in Southeastern VA....

....The pickins are so slim on BP revolvers that you have to take what you get.

In that last six shows I went to there was either nothing I would buy, prices too high or they just happened to have a pistol I wanted.

No selection to speak of.
Old January 13, 2012, 05:48 AM   #7
Hawg

Last one I went to there were only two. A new Colt second gen(dunno bout box)for 900 and a CVA/Traditions for 100.
Old January 13, 2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Noz

Gun shows are great places to go to try the "feel" of the gun. You may find that some guns just simply do not feel good to you.
A for instance: I cannot shoot Remingtons because of the relationship between the grip and the hammer. I cannot comfortably reach the hammer when shooting duelist.
My choice would be the 1860 Army(44) followed closely by the 1861 Navy(36).
Old January 14, 2012, 01:55 PM   #9
deerslayer303

Ridiculous!!

The gun show was Rediculous! EVERYTHING was over priced. I was blown away. I saw 4 Revolvers. This one guy had a navy arms 1851 Navy .36 he wanted 140 for, but the thing looked like it had just the outside wiped off after it had been shot last the nipples where really dirty and the frame and barrel were dirty also, so no thank you. The other guy had 3 Pietta's (USED) #1- brass framed '60 Colt .44 .....sit down.....325.00 #2 '58 Remington (brass) $335.00 #3 was a Nickle Plated (brass) '51 Navy for $450.00.. I was born at night but it wasn't last night. I will just either buy them here or online. The only good deals it seems to be had at the last few shows where the trusty Mosin Nagants.....whick I brought one of those home but this is the wrong section of the forum for that
Old January 14, 2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

Yes....

I have enjoyed some good purchases at gunshows but by and large they don't have anything I want.

On the other hand, I went to a show in Dade City, FL and the place was loaded with deals in BP revolvers.

ROA for 400.00. A new in box second model Dragoon from Colt sig Series starting at 800.00. I wound up with a five shot ASM Colt police for 75.00. That is the pistol which had a severe problem with the cylinder and would not index right.

I try to hit all the gun shows here is S.E. VA. even though I never hold out much hope.

Tnx,
Old January 14, 2012, 03:24 PM   #11
deerslayer303

Yeah I like to go regardless. At least I can look I guess. I figured (despite your warning Doc) that I could get a nice one for a nice price. But not today. Ill just watch the for sale section here for used ones.
Old January 14, 2012, 09:44 PM   #12
OutlawJoseyWales

The best I've done is find caps of various types at gun shows. I've never seen a revolver that wasn't so overpriced it was rediculous, really...never.
But supplies and caps, often sellers don't know what they have or they will make a deal, or nobody else in the room knows what they are.
I missed the gun show that Doc was at in Dade City. Get this Doc, I went there a day early because I looked at the date wrong. I thought it was strange that the gunshow was on Frida, but it IS Dade City. I guess this was just fate keeping me away from your guns...again.
OJW
Old January 15, 2012, 06:17 AM   #13
Doc Hoy

OJW

I think it is an annual thing.

I am definitely going back next time.