The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 9, 2007, 04:43 PM   #26
faster200

I have a 1911 .45acp with a surefire light I use for BITN duty. My Rott/Dobie/Lab/Sheperd mix does a good job of letting me know of danger. I have neighbors on either side of me the work late/nightshift. He knows their cars and usually doesn't bother with them. Only once has he been at the door, hackles up. Turned out to be deer in the front yard eating the plants. Evidently he doesn't care for them. I'm with most everyone else. 9-1-1 first if I know someone is in the house. The dog and I defend my bedroom and wife. I'm not willing to kill someone over my $500 TV.
Old February 9, 2007, 09:38 PM   #27
Snow Fox

my usual carry and the gun I'm most comfortable with is my Beretta .380. i also see really well in the dark and know the lay out of my house so i don't turn on lights or take a flash light. I figure an intruder is more likely to need a light and then I'll know where to shoot. The exception is the basement, but one switch turns on all the lights there and it's one large, strangley shaped room.

In New York, which has much more strict gun laws, i once stopped a push in by putting a Japanese short sword to the guy's throat. Amazing how quickly he stopped at that until the police arrived. The look on the sgt's face when I said I'd stopped him with a sword was priceless. I think he was expecting to "forget" to write down a handgun in the circumstances but a sword? I just smiled and shrugged.