The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 9, 2006, 09:39 AM   #26
Ichiro

It takes a thief is a great show. I'm glad you brought that up.

I've seen that guy just knock everything off shelves onto the floor and see if anything worth stealing emerges. Evidently, people like to hide their valuables on shelves.

I've never seen him move a heavy sofa or bed, or look in a toilet tank.
Old August 9, 2006, 10:37 AM   #27
Big Calhoun

Well, I've used the old classic 'pistol under the newspaper'. Usually when I'm at home alone.

If company is over and I'm on the couch, then I'll stash it in the cushions.

When travelling, I tend to take them with me. However, a good method in general when you're away from your home is to take whatever you want to hide, stash it in a garbage bag, and put it amongst dirty clothes. NO ONE looks through dirty clothes...unless they're a perv...then they're not usually looking to rob you in that case.
Old August 9, 2006, 12:16 PM   #28
AmesJainchill

Quote:
Tupperware, Saran Wrap and silica AerolGel.
Ah! Tupperware. I didn't think of that. I thought of stashing the gun in the toiler tank if you were owning it illegally and the police were searching your place, but I didn't think of tupperware.

What's aerolgel and what's it for? Make it float?
Old August 9, 2006, 12:29 PM   #29
AK103K

Quote:
Along with my storm door, my main entry door is steel with only a small window at the top. I have a nylon holster with my Colt Det. Spl. velcroed to the inside of the door, just above the doorknob, canted toward me about 45 degrees, when I open it.

I can open the door to someone, & they never know my hand is just inches from a weapon. Should I invite them in, I simply close the storm door and leave the main door open, which puts the gun back against a wall and is never seen by a guest.
I do something similar. I have an old Uncle Mikes kydex belt holster screwed into the back of our front door with a C&L 1911 in it. A couple of jackets usually hang on pegs on the back of the door, so no one knows anything is there when the door is closed. As Capt Charlie said, your hand is basically on the gun when you open the door.
Old August 9, 2006, 03:10 PM   #30
joab

Quote:
I thought of stashing the gun in the toiler tank if you were owning it illegally and the police were searching your place
I got the idea from someone who had to do just that. Unfortunately the cp searching the house had apparently heard of this from someone else.

Aerogel is the desiccant that you find in those little bags you find in leather and electronic goods and bulk packs of beef jerky that say "Do Not Eat"

It is also used in pest control so I usually have about ten pounds on hand.

The gun I stashed was one of the two that I owned and was the one that I did not carry or use from day to day and I lived in an apartment in an iffy part of town.

The method is worthless if you need quick access
Old August 10, 2006, 09:48 PM   #31
stardate

There is a company called Thunderwear that makes holsters from underwear.
Thought it was poor holster and a dangerous way to carry a handgun.

Until a friend of mine took some old underwear and attached a holster to
the inside of the underwear. He hides a handgun in his dirty laundry bag with this setup when traveling. Only using it when he must leave the gun behind.
They look so bad I think he could lay them on the street and no one would
pick them up.
Old August 10, 2006, 10:05 PM   #32
Ichiro

Anyone install a holser on the side of their bed's frame? Not for hiding, but for quick access at night.

For emergency preparedness at night, I've always got three things on the bedside table: (1) a revolver with CTC grips, (2) a Surefire flashlight, and (3) my cell phone. Rather than piling them up on the bed stand in a random fashion, I'm thinking holsters mounted to the bed would be a better option, at least for the gun and the flashlight.

I'm not a terribly deep sleeper, so I don't think there's any danger of "answering" my .38 or shooting someone with my Surefire.
Old August 10, 2006, 11:02 PM   #33
springmom

I have no interest in being creative. I want it where I can get at it, and digging around in the Captain Crunch isn't my idea of accessible

Mine are 1) in my holster on my waistband, 2) in my holster in the special place in my purse (1 & 2 are often an "and", not an "or") 3) bedside table at bedtime only; 4) in the safe.

With a 17 year old in the house with many friends, guns don't get stashed in cute places that some hungry teenager might find them. But that's us.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old August 11, 2006, 01:10 PM   #34
Ichiro

Quote:
With a 17 year old in the house with many friends, guns don't get stashed in cute places that some hungry teenager might find them. But that's us

Would be us, too, if we had kids.
Old August 11, 2006, 06:20 PM   #35
death2twinkys

I consider myself somewhat of a computer nerd. With that being said I am considering taping a cheap holster in between the 2 moniters I have sitting on my computer desk. Less to keep it hidden from theives, but more to keep it hidden from any wackos that may wander into my house. Since, I live more or less in BFE, and I have heard stories of people around here just going into houses and killing the ocupants. I refuse to be a victim without a chance.
Wachowskis: No, who are they made for?
Designer: Wankers.
Wachowskis: Our wankers in this film want Desert Eagles.
Designer: Your film.
Old August 11, 2006, 06:46 PM   #36
Kreyzhorse

In the house - they are hidden in the usual spots. Under the bed, in the closet and in the underwear drawer. On the road, usually hide them in with my dirty underwear...... Actually it's wrapped in clean underwear surrounded with dirty underwear. Go ahead, grab yourself a big handful of that!
Old August 11, 2006, 07:00 PM   #37
CosmoLover

My couch

I live in a fairly small apartment and have a tight budget, so a big safe is out of the question. Plus I live on the third floor. One day when I was replacing the sagging cloth under the couch(you know, the flimsy cloth that covers the couch's framework?), and realized it would be a great hiding spot. I was suprised by how much room there is under there. I got the dremel and hack saw out and after a little work, I made a horizontal system of hooks with belt fasteners(actually milsurp canvas belts) that can hold four rifles lenghtwise.

I also made a small wooden cubby-hole and screwed it to the framework near the arm rest. That's where my barbeque revolvers go. Now it's not a practical place to store your "go-to" weapons, but it is very discreet place to store your valuable rifles. I attached velcro along the cloth and underside of the couch so all you have to do is flip the couch back, undo the velcro and you have full access to your hidden rifles. It's funny to have guests sitting on your couch, clueless to the fact that they've got four rifles and two S&W's 9" from their butts.

oh, I almost forgot: For all you guys who drive Chevy/GMC fullsizes year 92-96 with the center console, the cupholder tray can easily be pulled out and makes for a good stash spot. That's where I keep my important paperwork and Ka-Bar.
Old August 11, 2006, 08:28 PM   #38
doncameron

coffee table has a center cabinet, nylon holster velcroed to the top inside
(9mm)
beside the cushion on the couch, between the arm rest and seat
(.38)
chest of drawers has a hidden compartment for jewelry, removed a few deviders and plenty of room for 3 or 4 handguns
Old August 12, 2006, 01:15 AM   #39
Sulaco2

"Pest control?" Joab?
Old August 12, 2006, 02:39 AM   #40
Niantician

The Sportsmanguide has a wall clock that opens up to store a med to small handgun in. Runs about $55 after shipping. and the clock works!
Old August 12, 2006, 03:14 AM   #41
UniversalFrost

Quote:
The hollowed-out book idea is hard to beat. No matter how many people have heard about this method, there is still no way for an intruder to go through every big book in the house looking for a weapon (at least not in my house, I'm something of an academic, so it would take a month to go through my books ).
Same here. Plus wife doesn't read and the kids think books are torture so I am the only that goes near the book cases.

Also got an old colt detective special .38 in the hollow space under the bottom drawer in a bedside nightstand.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 12, 2006, 03:56 AM   #42
Doubletaptap

Some good ideas here! BUT!!!
OK, now I'm a burgular..I'm in your house. I want stuff worth money on the street and I want cash.
OK, there's a computer! yank that sucker off the desk,grab the accessories,printer,scanner etc, and a gun falls out!!Same with tv's and stereos.
Next is the drawers, any dresser or cabinet I see gets the drawers pulled out and dumped on the floor,a gun falls out!
Always go through the kitchen cabinets and see what you can find. The "safe" ajax cans,soup cans etc are so widely advertised it's the first thing I'd be looking at. A gun falls out!
Laundry? Maybe somebody here wears the same size I do? Maybe there's something I could sell? dig through it, a gun falls out!
Hollow books. Pull everything off the bookshelves onto the floor,a gun falls out!
Closets, all kinds of stuff to dig through,a gun falls out!
Of course you pull the sofa and chair cushions off,a gun falls out!
OK, now I've broken into your vehicle. Pop the glove box, look under the seats, pop the back of the rear seat off, pop the console,a gun falls out!
I'm not a theif or a burgular but I have a lot of experience in security and law enforcement.
Actually if a theif has time there really isn't many good hiding places.
If you put them in the toilet tank or sink cabinets,A/C grille,washer, dryer,etc and live in apartments or anywhere there is maintenance staff,a gun falls out!
Attaching a gun to the back of a washer or dryer is ok I guess but it's a damp, dirty atmosphere for a gun unless it's well sealed. Even then the drastic temperature changes could cause moisture to form in the container.
I like the idea of a handgun on the front door near the knob,but don't leave it there when you leave the house empty. Same with one attached to the bed.
In today's society we're about 50-50 chance of not getting burgularized.
Best bet is take photos and record serial numbers, keep sales reciepts and get good insurance coverage with a reputable company.

To stick to the topic, I keep my pistol in the nightstand drawer,a 5 cell maglight next to the stand and my 12ga. just inside the bedroom door which is reachable from my bed.I also keep little intruder alarms(battery operated) on my 3 windows and my front door. They're available at wallyworld.
AND REMEMBER, if you saw a advertisement for a neat hiding place such as wall clocks, soup cans etc. so have the BG'S!!!!
The only real good one( I think) that is almost foolproof is the custom built entertainment center with a secret place for guns.
I hope this helps someone.
George
Old August 12, 2006, 04:18 AM   #43
death2twinkys

If I was robbing that house I would put everything back, and hope the owner doesn't mind anything I messed up (thats alot of guns).
Wachowskis: No, who are they made for?
Designer: Wankers.
Wachowskis: Our wankers in this film want Desert Eagles.
Designer: Your film.
Old August 12, 2006, 07:40 AM   #44
joab

Quote:
"Pest control?" Joab?
Yes?
Quote:
I'm not a theif or a burgular but I have a lot of experience in security and law enforcement.
Actually if a theif has time there really isn't many good hiding places.
If you put them in the toilet tank or sink cabinets,A/C grille,washer, dryer,etc and live in apartments or anywhere there is maintenance staff,a gun falls out!
Florida law requires a 24 hour notice prior to entering a tenants apartment. Gun would be moved upon receipt of that notice, especially if the notice was for repair of your hiding place.

I have also kept money in a mason jar hidden in the toilet tank, my burglars did not find it.
Old August 12, 2006, 06:46 PM   #45
duck911

I put little plastic red caps on the end of my guns and toss them in the kid's toy box
Old August 12, 2006, 07:01 PM   #46
AK103K

Quote:
I put little plastic red caps on the end of my guns and toss them in the kid's toy box
Actually, I've sort of done both.

Before I had a safe, I used to hide my machine guns behind the kids toy box.

I've taken the black plastic muzzle caps for the M16's and painted them fluorescent orange and popped one on my Armalite and took it to the range. I told all my buddies to check out the new airsoft I got, you cant tell it from the real thing. They all thought it really was airsoft.
Old August 13, 2006, 02:59 AM   #47
Doubletaptap

Still I think some good ideas here. I was just "Being a burgular" to arouse some thought on the hiding places.
Now another thought,this is the internet,anyone can read these posts,so now everyone knows where you hide your goodies!!!

I'm glad to hear someone has a 24 hour maintenance rule in a apartment complex. If they use it great. All the places I've lived in the last 30 years did not have such rules so you had to lock up your stuff,or take it to a friends house until the work was done.
I know of a lot of places that have maint personnell that will go through your stuff while "working" in your apt. I know of a complex in Tomball that just fired a person for stealing around 600.00 cash and a couple digital cameras,watches and other stuff from various apts.
The did not press charges because they did not want it publicized because it would hurt their buisness.
I don't know if he even had to return the stuff. They tell you to get renters insurance for just that reason. Their background checks are non existent because they cost money.
I was a maintenance man for 7 years in this area and you wouldn't believe the people that are hired for this job.
requirements-
Do NOT have to speak or understand english
Can be a drunk or on dope,just don't get caught at work that way.
Any race creed or religion, old or young, as long as you show up close to on time for work.
Honesty is not even asked about.
You can even be a bit crazy or weird.
If you can fill out a application, or get someone to do it for you, and have a way to work it's easy to get hired.
They usually give a drug test but they're easy to pass.
I don't feel secure in my apartment. I do my own maintenance work.
So hide your stuff well!!!
Old August 13, 2006, 08:14 AM   #48
joab

Quote:
Now another thought,this is the internet,anyone can read these posts,so now everyone knows where you hide your goodies!!!
I have safes now, the rest of y'all are on your own

I have work in pest control for 25 years and even though we do go through background checks and in the old days had to be bonded I have seen many thieves and deviants come through.

The 24 hour notice is Fla statute and I know of no complex that will violate it . However, when you move in you may be given a piece of paper somewhere in the other paperwork telling you that PC, fire safety inspections or routine maintenance checks are done on a certain day( ie: 2nd Tuesday, 3rd Thursday of odd months, etc) that is sufficient to serve as your 24 hour notice.
It is up to the tenant know and keep track of these dates.

I always did because I have had to fire too many freaks, as you imply, as quietly as possible
Old August 14, 2006, 10:37 AM   #49
HK_P7

I like the Book idea, mentioned in two earlier posts. My parents house have been robbed before, but they did not ransack the bookshelf. Seriously, What kind of crook steals an older edition of the Websters Dictionary??

As for other hiding places, I wouldn't want to hide a loaded gun that wasn't "locked up", and have someone (not the crook) find it, and play with it. I prefer a key code "mini safe" with an electronic door. It can be mounted/hidden in many places.
Old August 14, 2006, 10:43 AM   #50
joab

Quote:
I prefer a key code "mini safe" with an electronic door. It can be mounted/hidden in many places.
These days those things are so inexpensive that it makes little sense not to.
I just bought a Brinks safe for about $100.