The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 15, 2001, 10:00 PM   #1
addecus

Pachmayr Pad

I want to install a thin (.6) Pachmayr (Old English)pad on my shotgun. The butt has a slight curve(1/16"-3/32") where it meets the factory plastic buttplate and I want to be able to put the original buttplate back if I want to someday. Will the recoil pad bend to fit this ? Thanks in advance for any help or tips.
Old November 16, 2001, 07:27 AM   #2
jpb

bending a recoil pad

I've only done this once, but it worked just fine...

I installed a Pachymayr pad on a slightly curved buttstock by boiling the pad first, and when it was still hot, I shaped it with a rubber mallet against a form I made which had a slightly greater curvature than the buttstock. That way, the screws pull the ends down for full contact rather than having a gap in the middle.

I think this step is necessary because Pachymayr pads (and at least some other makes) have a steel reinforcement molded in. You may be able to shape the pad against the buttstock, but I had to use the mallet fairly hard and I'd be concerned about damaging the stock. I just used a piece of soft pine to make the form.

jpb
Old November 17, 2001, 02:35 PM   #3
addecus

bending pad

jpb, sounds like thats the way to go. are all pachmayr pads reinforced with metal ? i checked mine with a magnet and if theres metal in there, it must be aluminum. thanks again.
Old November 18, 2001, 07:56 AM   #4
jpb

I'm not sure if *all* Pachymayr pads have the steel re-inforcement, but for sure some do.

I once tried to install a "large" sized pad on a gun which really needed a "medium" -- I just didn't have one at the time.

You guessed it -- I ground down far enough so that the steel plate (about 1/32 inch thick) showed. From the sparks, there was no doubt that it was steel, not aluminium.

jpb
Old November 24, 2001, 10:20 PM   #5
addecus

mission accomplished

thanks for your advice jpb, the install was a success.