The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 3, 2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Wyatt Earp

What constitutes a loaded gun?

I live in Arkansas and the law is, during duck season, that a gun must be unloaded and in a case while the boat motor is running. I was wondering does that mean no shells in the barrel or no guns in the gun, magazine or barrel?

I asked a game and fish officer where we hunt, a state boy, and he said to keep two in the mag. is fine. My only concern is when the federal guys come, could they or would they feel differently?
Old June 3, 2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Kreyzhorse

If in doubt, unload it completely. It doesn't take that much longer to unload and reload once anchored.
Old June 3, 2008, 09:07 AM   #3
mikejonestkd

In NY it must be unloaded in both the chamber and magazine to be considered unloaded in the eyes of the conservation officers.

YMMV
Old June 3, 2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

When you're dealing with any sort of bureaucratic rules, just take it for granted that "plumb empty" is the safest for you.

There is certainly no doubt that "the gun is empty" if unloaded in both the chamber and magazine.
Old June 3, 2008, 01:29 PM   #5
davlandrum

Oregon regs specifically state none in the mag or tube.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 3, 2008, 01:59 PM   #6
tyrajam

Varies state by state, usually the regs are detailed. In IN, the regs say before or after legal hunting hours, a rifle must be unloaded, a muzzleloader must have the percusion cap removed or the pan unprimed if a flintlock, and a bow must not have an arrow nocked. I always assumed an unloaded gun means an unloaded gun, nothing in the gun whether its the chamber or the magazine. Some CO's can be real sticklers, I got a ticket for not having signed my Federal Duck stamp once, it was over $100 I say better safe than sorry now.
Old June 3, 2008, 08:51 PM   #7
rem870hunter

the regs in NJ are pretty similar to that of IN. as far as it has to be unloaded and CASED while in a moving ( motor on) boat. i think they are really getting picky there. but the regs are the regs. if you don't follow the rules and get caught you get a ticket and or gun taken away. unload the chamber(s) thats fine. safety first. but cased too wow.

when transporting firearms and bows in motor vehicles in NJ it must be unloaded/unnocked and cased. but in a boat. it can be loaded. but the boat motor must be off. or if its a sailboat the sails furled. and motion ceased before shooting. they don't want drive by style duck hunting. before casing my shotgun to leave home or hunting/target range area i check, double check to make sure its unloaded. unloaded means. no ammo at ALL in the shotgun. chamber or magazine. as far as the muzzleloader i have yet to hear of a case where someone removed the cap from the nipple or dumped the priming powder from the pan and the muzzleloader still fired. each state if different
Old June 4, 2008, 07:10 AM   #8
Sidetracked

As stated - It depends on the state, area, and particular piece of land/water you are on.

In your case, there should be a definition in the hunting proclamation, for 'Unloaded Weapon'.
Old June 4, 2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Rich Miranda

Looking at it from a slightly different perspective, what does 'unloaded' mean when it comes to basic firearm use?

No shells in chamber, none in magazine.

Why have a different definition for unloaded while hunting?
Old June 4, 2008, 10:01 AM   #10
milemission

If they want it in a case (which is probably more to collect money than anything else, and also to be sure that the gun is inaccessable while the boat is moving), I would assume that unloaded means completely and totally unloaded, with nothing in the magazine either.
Old June 4, 2008, 07:42 PM   #11
MeekAndMild

Just my 2 cents worth (I'm not Barney Fife nor do I play him on TV) I'd say unloaded means none in the gun, none attached to the gun (i.e. none on one of those fancy little buttstock ammo holders) and none in the case. To be safe it probably also means the case is locked and the shells are locked up in a separate case just like when you drive through antigun states.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old June 5, 2008, 10:17 AM   #12
sureshots

Rule of Thumb

Just A quick" rule of thumb" that you could usually go by. If its got A shell somewhere in it its probably considered loaded.
Old June 7, 2008, 08:47 PM   #13
UniversalFrost

unloaded is no ammo in the gun.

loaded is ammo in the gun.

I do unload my guns when transporting to the blind, but always have a few shells in the sling or the buttstock shell holder.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old June 7, 2008, 09:32 PM   #14
Csspecs

You may have already said it but... What kind of magazine are you talking about? If your talking about a tube magazine under the barrel, than yes it would have to be unloaded for the gun to be empty.

In the case of a detachable magazine, it should be out of the gun and out of the case that the gun is stored in, or empty in the gun.

P.S In some places it is said "unloaded or in a case", thats why one of my gun socks has a hole in the end.
Old June 9, 2008, 04:39 PM   #15
Loaded4yote

In Arkansas an unloaded gun = no rounds in the chamber or magazine. Your ammunition must be seperate from the firearm when transporting to/from the woods or target range.

Or for muzzleloaders, No powder ball in the firearm. Few years back you could load your muzzleloader at the house and it wasn't considered loaded until you put a primer or cap in.

Yup we need more rules. There aren't enough of them to confuse us completely yet...
Old June 9, 2008, 08:41 PM   #16
guntotin_fool

The original poster asked about Arkansas and Federal law. Yet we get people talking about NJ and Indiana and other States as if that applies.

I don't know about Arkansas, but State law would trump Fed law on the handling of guns on everything except Federal land. I believe your best option is down loading the Fish and Game rules for your OWN state and obeying them.

This can be found in about 4 seconds with Google,

http://www.agfc.com/rules-regulations/default.aspx

If you find that the game warden or ranger gave you false information, I would suggest you obey the written rules not the spoken rules, and keep a copy of YOUR state regs in your pocket or gear bag so you have a way of knowing the answer to these questions before you loose your shotgun, car and duck boat for having a Violation.

Everyone knows the 4 rules of gun handling, and the next rule is keep a copy of the regulations with you when you hunt.