The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2011, 11:50 AM   #101
spacecoast

Quote:
not sombody taking antique handguns and abusing them to the point of destruction
I definitely see your point - why buy an old Colt and see how much it takes to make it come apart? Even if they were cheap, they are irreplaceable. I may be attaching too much significance to an inanimate object, but that's just sad.
Old March 7, 2011, 12:27 PM   #102
larry60

This author's stated point is on the economics of reloading but then makes point after point on safety issues. When he is challenged on his safety issues he claims everybody missed his point that this was about the economics of reloading. There is not any common sense here at all.
Old March 7, 2011, 02:59 PM   #103
flyboyjake

Quote:
When I think of "pioneer", I think of folks taking useless prairie and turning it into the breadbasket of the world ..... not sombody taking antique handguns and abusing them to the point of destruction...... it's your dollars, I guess ...... too bad they are not making any more of those guns.

Is there a need for a magnum powder load for 32 S&W? Foolishness, methinks.

Then again, some folks are put on this earth as a warning for others ......
Because he wants to, and he can... Who are you to say otherwise? People come here to avoid the kind of people who piously push their gun/anti gun opinions on us. Take a step back, and you may realize you just became one for a moment.

Is there a "need" for 50% of whats in the gun world? methinks no. Just a bunch of people who love their hobby, concocting new toys.

They dont make Gen 1 glocks anymore either, but id have no problem blowing one up to learn something I didnt know before... if I had the money. Clark has posted some pretty amazing things that have allowed me to ponder and learn things about bullets that I havent a clue where id find elsewhere.

Not to toot your horn clark...you are a bad influence tsk tsk

Perhaps stay on topic, as a door has just been opened that may make this ugly.
Old March 7, 2011, 03:57 PM   #104
Doodlebugger45

I like Clark's contributions here. He goes outside the box all the time to answer "what if" questions that I have had but will probably never try for myself. As opposed to the idiot mentioned at the beginning who has no practical experience to justify his self-serving opinions, Clark is just the opposite. Clark uses a solid engineering and scientific method to go from the safe starting point and see just how far you can really go before something fails. That is stuff the professional labs will not report on and I won't be able to do myself. We can all read the manuals, and if they say that 16.6 gr of H110 is "max" for a given load, then most of us will probably stop about there and maybe before we get there. But don't we all kinda wonder just what would happen if we went to 17, or 18 or maybe 20 gr? I do, but I'm not gonna try it.

For those reasons, I give a big thank you to Clark for pushing the edges, and a big thumbs down to the original pea-brain in his blog for saying it's too dangerous to even try a safe load. Of course if Clark ever asked to "borrow" one of my guns, I would run away quickly.
Old March 8, 2011, 12:34 AM   #105
Clark

Thanks for the support
And thanks to Johnny Guest for providing me with this caveat:
CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

See what is missing from this chart of a work up I made?

0) 45 acp....................... 185 gr 7.6 gr AA#5 jams w/stock Patriot spring
1) 45 acp........................185 gr 10.2 gr AA#5 1100 fps 18,000psi
2) 45 acp +P...................185 gr 10.8 gr AA#5 1200 fps 21,700 psi
3) 45 Super.....................185 gr 12.4 gr AA#5 1312 fps 28,000 cup
4) 460 Rowland............... 185 gr 14.5 gr AA#5 1500 fps 38,800 cup
5) Easy extraction ...........185 gr 15.0 gr AA#5 *rifle
6) Case starts to stretch..185 gr 15.2 gr AA#5 *rifle
7) difficult extraction ........185 gr 16.0 gr AA#5 *rifle
8) primer falls out ............185 gr 16.5 gr AA#5 *rifle

That chart does not have the threshold of the bullet getting stuck in the bore.

That chart does not have the threshold of the case head failing.

It is just a myopic incomplete look at that load.

How are we supposed to hand load without complete data?
Old March 8, 2011, 08:12 PM   #106
noylj

I like #8. No more having to deprime each case.
Old March 10, 2011, 09:27 PM   #107
Cascade1911

"Cascade1911 March 5, 2011 6:23 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation"

I'm sure he'll put my comment up one of these days......NOT
Old March 11, 2011, 03:46 PM   #108
ipscchef

I just posted

I just posted a question over there, simply asking if he had closed the thread to further responses. It seems that he let that one go up !
If anyone wants to post a comment there, try just being as diplomatic as you possibly can, I am not saying anyone is not, but he did post mine, although all I was asking was if the comments section had been closed.
Willy

Last edited by ipscchef; March 11, 2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 11, 2011, 06:02 PM   #109
TimT

Quote:
It seems that he let that one go up !
Not to me it doesn't. The last comment I see is from him (assuming he is "admin") from 4 March.
Old March 12, 2011, 07:43 PM   #110
ipscchef

TimT

As of the time stamp on this post, not only is my post up there, he has replied to it, although in a very specious way. But my post is there.
Willy
Old March 13, 2011, 09:13 AM   #111
Cascade1911

Well my post is no longer awaiting moderation, now it's just gone. I did not think my post was "rude" (its re-posted above somewhere, I think on page 4) but I guess he did. I do believe his definition of rude includes questions he can't answer.

And, I do see IPSCCHEF's last post and admins reply.....
Old March 14, 2011, 01:54 AM   #112
ipscchef

Final thoughts

The article that was originaly posted contained a lot of indefensible ideas.
He first spoke to the casual handloader, then spoke to the "professional" handloader, then, when I called him out on that, he gave another useless response, saying that the "pro" used a tuned load, so he automaticly deleted those posts.
Well, whom exactly is he speaking to?
I, For one, do not think we should waste any more of our time with this person, or his site. Except that maybe an "eye" should be kept on it so that we are aware of any more preposterous info that may go up there.
I do not believe that he understands how destructive his disengeneous information can be.
Clark, thank you for your efforts, this is info that we could not get form another source. But I will say that what you are trying to do differs greatly from the "average" reloader, who is not looking to blow up even one gun.
JMHO, and as always, YMMV.
Willy
Old March 14, 2011, 12:59 PM   #113
TimT

Ipscchief,

Not sure what to tell you, but I didn't see your post. Maybe I forgot to refresh the page, or maybe I got a cached page. IDK.

Either way, its a moot point - it is there for me now.

I wish he would allow all comments - now that would be interesting. That guy is a piece of work.
Old March 15, 2011, 01:32 PM   #114
Gerry

35,000 pounds of pressure on an inch of pistol brass is much stronger than 35,000 pounds of pressure on an inch of rifle brass, cause everyone knows an inch of rifle brass is bigger than 1 inch of pistol brass.

It's exactly like how 1 pound of lead is so much heavier than 1 pound of feathers.

How you can guys not understand this?
Old March 15, 2011, 10:56 PM   #115
noylj

A pound of feathers always weighs more than a pound of gold or silver, but I think it probably weighs the same as lead--you can just put the lead in an easier to handle container.