The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 04:11 PM   #101
markj

Quote:
hunting for fun or bragging about
Yep killing just to kill is wrong, bragging has always been wrong same as gossiping. Varmints do bad things to good things, we get rid of them as all varmints have been done away with thru the centuries. You weed a garden so the good things can grow to their fullest potential same with animals. killing coyotes is like pulling weeds. Usually we kill a few the others lite out and dont come back for a few years. Some have a bad mange that kills them slowly and painfully. Best to reduce their suffering IMHO before they get into contact with your dogs and spread who knows what to them.

I am not asking anyone to go out and kill one, but those that do try to understand why. Dont try to stop them either.

Deer are another matter, they eat a lot of grain run into vehicles (6 for me so far, wife is up to 3, daughter just hit another one she is up to two) at a 250.00 deductable on each repair well you add it up for yourself. Glad no one was killed.

No natural predator, they just keep on reproducing, mostly twins too.

Spring brings calfing, coyotes love the taste of a new born calf, that is money gone to waste to feed a coyote.....
Old May 4, 2010, 06:14 PM   #102
Dr. Strangelove

I don't hunt them for sport, but those who do don't bother me. I shot one years ago that was a pest, and would again if the need arises.

I am one of those who won't shoot it unless I'm going to eat it, but I'm not naive, either. Sometimes an animal just needs a good killin'.

I shot a fox once because it was acting all nutty, and a.. well, lets just call it a really big bird that was after my cat. Didn't feel good about it, but it needed to be done.
Old May 8, 2010, 07:19 AM   #103
N.H. Yankee

Not sure if its been said already but, I DIDN'T KNOW COYOTES HAD ETHICS!
Coyotes are predators and when it comes to killing they do so without prejudice. Mostly they are good for exterminating anything that can't fly or climb a tree that is within their safe killing size.

I had quite a few deer, turkeys, and small game around my area, then the yotes started to move in and populate and now if you see ANYTHING in the woods besides a bear or a moose your lucky. Small pets are disappearing and some have witnessed a yote running of with a feline or small dog. A pack killed a healthy moose behind my house after a 3 day long attack in the snow.

I snowshoe all winter in my area and all I saw for tracks all year besides ONE yes ONE deer track was a highway of coyote tracks everywhere. I have 3 trail cams out year round, I have seen 3 deer in about 9 month's and numerous yotes and a couple Coons. Sometimes the balance of nature doesn't equal out and man has to intervene, man is also a part of nature's predator scheme and we must be the equalizer when all else fails.
Old May 8, 2010, 08:50 AM   #104
TXGunNut

Wanted to comment on the coyotes' lack of ethics but other points were more interesting @ the time. Good point, tho, NH Yankee. They no longer have any natural enemies in most areas so they do as they please.
I feel we have upset the balance of nature over the past century with development, agriculture and poorly planned hunting regulations. Since our sport was part of the cause of this problem we need to be part of the solution.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 8, 2010, 02:20 PM   #105
dla888

We don't have coyotes in Alaska. However we have an aerial wolf control program to help the moose population. The real problem at my house are lemmings. They are all over the place and no matter what we do they are still everywhere. They get into the dog food and ruin stuff we have stored. When I was a kid my parents would give me an airgun and tell us to go shoot these little lemmings. We(the neighborhood kids) used to have a lemming hunting club. Ahh.. I loved being a kid...
Old May 12, 2010, 08:30 PM   #106
mitchell koster

Shoot within reason.

In Australia there's a massive over population of kangaroos, rabbits and possems. Even though they're over populated we still take only what we need. We figure if we kill everything in one area we won't be able to shoot there for a while. Its all about shooting within reason i think. Kill what you need, knock a few off when you see em and hopefully they'll stay at bay.
We travel interstate a bit and go Roo shooting and shoot several hundred in a couple of days because they're so over populated.
Are the laws really strict in the US with how many game of each species your aloud to shoot?
Old May 12, 2010, 08:36 PM   #107
kraigwy

Quote:
We don't have coyotes in Alaska.
The heck you don't, I trapped and killed many when I lived in Healy in the Early 70s.

I think Hawaii is the only state that doesnt have coyotes.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 12, 2010, 10:01 PM   #108
Nnobby45

Quote:
We don't have coyotes in Alaska.
The heck you don't, I trapped and killed many when I lived in Healy in the Early 70s.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, dang it. Do you have coyotes in Alaska or not?
Old May 13, 2010, 08:35 AM   #109
oneounceload

Quote:
Are the laws really strict in the US with how many game of each species your aloud to shoot?
Managed game animals are treated differently than varmints or predators or feral animals in most states. Game animals have seasons, strict rules and regulations and vary widely. Varmints and predators typically have less restrictions/limits
Old May 13, 2010, 08:53 PM   #110
srkavanagh6621

I enjoy shooting them and it doesnt bother me a bit to pile the coyotes up! They are a very smart predator and that adds to the fun while HUNITING them down. I would say that hunting coyotes is one of the most challenging animals to hunt and i wouldnt blink an eye to take one out! Plus you can tan the hide and make beautiful decorations!
Old May 13, 2010, 10:14 PM   #111
johnwilliamson062

I read through that link and the bible versus cited. I found their interpretation in that essay/paper a little bit of a stretch.
Just shooting anything you see, such as shooting buffalo off of a train, is probably not a great idea. Coyotes on the other hand meet my personal standard.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:10 PM   #112
Irish80prf

From gotquestions.org

Just one website I found and this is what I have always been taught and believed myself.

"Question: "What does the Bible say about Christians hunting animals for sport?"

Answer: The closest reference to sport hunting is Proverbs 12:27, "The lazy man does not roast what he took in hunting, But diligence is man's precious possession" (NKJV). So whatever view one takes on sport hunting, it is good and right for the hunted animal to be eaten, not just killed for a trophy. The sport hunting was not a common practice in Bible times. The reason for this is the fact that man hunted for food. In order to put food on the table you either had to grow it, hunt it, and in some cases buy or trade for it. Furs were used for clothing or sold in order to purchase things, and in many cases the furs of animals were currency. For early Americans, this was the case. You simply did not sport hunt in those days. It is hard to make a sport out of something you did everyday.

Today is a lot different. Hunting is simply not done as a way of life in western countries, with few exceptions. Markets are readily available and civilized cultures have currency. Sport hunting has evolved simply because man has always hunted, and it is in his nature. Scripture does not indicate either way whether it is ok or not ok to hunt animals for fun or sport, nor does it indicate a principle that would assume it is a sin or ungodly practice. In Genesis we read that animals were created for the benefit of man. Adam was given the pleasure of naming them and they were there for his enjoyment, help, and later on as a source of food.

At the beginning of creation, animals mainly served as helpers and enjoyment and not food because Adam and animals alike were vegetarians (Genesis 1:29-30). Note also that man was to rule over the earth and subdue it. The earth and all that it had were meant to serve the needs of man. It wasn't until after the fall of man in Genesis 3 did meat become a source of food for both animals and man. Since the animals and the plants of the earth were put under the control of man, God gave the responsibility to man to learn and to use them to his pleasure. That is why animals in research are acceptable, because they are meant to be used instead of humans. Animals do not have the same form of eternal soul, and likely do not experience an afterlife. This does not mean that we can be cruel and intend evil towards them. We need to be careful in sport hunting so we don’t make it our consumption or do it illegally.

Sport hunting has it purposes also, although different by far in meaning. Conservationists would all agree that sport hunting is valuable in keeping the population of some animals in check. There is nothing biblically wrong with it; however, it is also an issue that each person must decide for themselves. It is under the liberty of Christians to do it or to not do it. If you do not feel comfortable with it, then search out why that is and abstain from it."
Old May 14, 2010, 11:12 AM   #113
orangello

neverminddippinout

Last edited by orangello; May 14, 2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old May 14, 2010, 05:52 PM   #114
rickyrick

being that coyotes are shot on sight, poisoned.... fall victim to rabies, mange, parvo.... some even become chupacabras apparently.....their numbers are still out of control.... I am sure that the Bible allows for killing to protect livestock, just guessing
Quote:
1 Samuel 17:34-35: "And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father's sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock: 35 And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him."
And while we're at it the coyote chews not his cud.....and does not have a parted hoof

Quote:
Leviticus 11
2Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.

3Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat.

4Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

5And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

6And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

7And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

8Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

since we're talkin' bible stuff
Old May 15, 2010, 08:44 AM   #115
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Five pages is enough...
Closed Thread