The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 21, 2001, 07:39 PM   #1
Postman

Based on recommendations found here a few weeks ago, I ordered a case of Estate Cartridge Inc's Reduced Recoil Buckshot from Natchez. I received a case of Estate
Cartridge Inc's S.W.A.T. Buckshot Load which I believe is the same thing.

My question deals with the construction of the shells themselves. The brass hull at the base of the shell is very short. It appears to be the same length as the metal hull on Winchester's Upland Game loads.

Does this serve any purpose? My Federal H132 reduced recoil loads, and every other buckshot or slug load I’ve ever seen has had full sized brass hulls. Does anyone know why
these are designed differently?

If I'm not painting a clear enough picture let me know and I will attempt to clarify, I know my terminology might be a bit off.
Old February 21, 2001, 11:50 PM   #2
DML

The shells could be considered low base loads. There isn't any real reason to use high brass that I can think of. By the way, Winchester low recoil buck shot shells also use low brass. Federal and Remington use high brass (base) shells. Maybe that's all they make these days.

I cut open a couple of the Estate shells. It looks to me like they "discovered" the secret of tight patterns with buck shot. They use ROUND shot! What a concept! If you would like a bit of education, cut open a few of the other brands and see what the shot pellets look like. You might be surprised.
Old February 22, 2001, 05:16 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

I reload shotgun shells. Low and high brass have nothing to do with the relative "power" of the load. Companies just started doing this to differentiate their magnum loads.