The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 27, 2014, 12:15 AM   #51
Catfishman

Strange

Anyway, just see if it easily melts with a lighter. If it runs down the wall it's lead, either an anchor or a bullet. If it doesn't it almost certainly isn't a bullet.

Just looking at the pic I don't think it's lead. I would go with the impurity in the brick theory.
Old September 27, 2014, 08:37 AM   #52
Cheapshooter

That is in no way a bullet! No matter how much you want it to be to support your story. It isn't a lead anchor either. Look at the smooth "smear" the same size as the object. The smear is also concave matching the curvature of the object in question. That could only have been done during the manufacture of the brick while it was still soft. Also, it's obvious that the mortar was struck after the deformity in the brick. By "struck" I mean the method a Blackwater uses to finish a mortar joint. If you look close, the mortar conforms with a slight wave in the brick at the point of the smear.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 27, 2014, 08:45 AM   #53
Carmady

It looks like a threaded lead shield/anchor to me.

It's a fastener. You drill a hole in the wall, drive the anchor into the hole, and screw your bolt/lag screw into it.

Check Home Depot.
Old September 27, 2014, 12:51 PM   #54
Sue S.

Okay I just want to repeat again. This piece was not put in, BEFORE, the brick manufacturing process. We know that, because the metal edges on that piece are still thin and sharp. If it was put in, before the brick was fired up, at very high temps, that metal would have melted into a blob. There would be no sharp edges left on it.

Also, IF it is some kind of anchor, you can see by the brick shards on top, that it was put in at a straight 'up' angle. Who puts in an anchor like that? Now that it was tampered with, we know the piece only goes in a half inch deep to the brick. What kind of anchor goes in that shallow? And what kind of anchor is made with razor thin metal?

Last edited by Sue S.; September 27, 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old September 27, 2014, 12:56 PM   #55
Sue S.

"If you look close, the mortar conforms with a slight wave in the brick at the point of the smear. "

Yes I was looking at that. If you look very closely, and I know it is hard to see on my pics, it looks like a very thin groove in the mortar, on the bottom, of the bottom mortar line. And then the groove widens up, like an upwards triangle, to match the width of the groove in the brick.

This had to be done by something driving into the mortar and the brick.
Old September 27, 2014, 01:39 PM   #56
Sue S.

Here is the security cam video of the shot sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUdU...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Sue S.; September 27, 2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old September 27, 2014, 02:14 PM   #57
T. O'Heir

Don't know what tactic is it, but that isn't a bullet. A cast bullet won't stick to a brick like that. Could be a screw anchor, but it looks more like caulking to me.
Old September 27, 2014, 02:20 PM   #58
Sue S.

Well unless they are making a metal caulking now, that pours out into sharp metal edges, that I am not aware of, I don't think it is caulking.

But one guy here did think that. Do you have any type of caulking in mind?

Just for the record, I have had several men look at this "bullet". All familiar with guns.

Three did not think it was a bullet. One guy said, an old wiring hole that goes to the attic (We know that is wrong now, because the hole is only a half inch deep.) One guy said a brick impurity in the manufacturing process. (Then I told him, the impurity would have melted in the manufacturing process. And he had nothing to say). One guy said caulking (I asked him which type of caulking shines silver? He had no answer.).

Five guys did think it was a bullet. Most said it was a small caliber. They said there looked like there was some heat added to it in the process.

Last edited by Sue S.; September 27, 2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old September 27, 2014, 02:36 PM   #59
pax

Because it seemed important to help find an answer, we've let this run for three pages, even though it's about neither Tactics nor Training. Given that nobody's come along with a definitive answer -- and that our OP believed she already had her answer before she ever started the thread -- I'm going to shut this down now.

Thanks, everyone.

pax
Closed Thread