The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 11, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Carmady

How old are these Remington .22 Shorts?

I have a partial box of .22s like the box in the pic. Anyone know about what decade they were manufactured?

I'm assuming they're standard velocity since velocity isn't mentioned anywhere on the box.

I searched with bing and didn't find anything.

Last edited by Carmady; May 14, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old April 11, 2013, 08:41 PM   #2
dogtown tom

I believe those are referred to as "dogbone" boxes......definitely pre WWII and probably late 1920's-30's.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 11, 2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Carmady

Thanks, Tom. I had no idea they were that old, I was thinking '40s or '50s. I came across "dogbone" more than once while searching.
Old April 11, 2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, 20s or 30s. the box seems to be in good condition. It might be worth as much as $75.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Got 2 boxes of it in 25-20 and had some in 22 long. shot the 22's up and tossed the boxes and then learned I could have sold the boxes alone for $20 each. They used to belong to my stepfathers grandpa and were pre WWII. They shot just fine in case anybody wants to know. What can I say, I am a heathen.

Also have a few boxes of .348 made in the 50's and they shoot just fine too. When I bought them the clerk had to blow the dust off the boxes to find a price because they had been on his shelf for 30 years. Apparently I was the only dang fool in the county shooting it. I didn't appreciate what I had then because I was and am a shooter not a collector.

I'm still a heathen but today I wouldn't shoot that old ammo up like I used to and I hope you hang onto your boxes. I had to get old before I started appreciating the history I had in my hands.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 12, 2013, 04:47 AM   #6
Carmady

The pic of the box is one I found while searching, not mine. Mine isn't in that good of condition, but is the same right down to the 11 in the lower left corner.

I'll hang on to them. Thanks.