The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 09:20 PM   #1
915A

Sig P290RS?

I checked it out today at the shop and I really liked it. I have read some positive reviews for it. Anyone have one that can chime in?

Last edited by 915A; January 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2
RamItOne

Poor DA, def need the RS version, earlier ones had issues with light strikes and wasn't true DA so you couldn't just pull the trigger again.
I carry a S&W BG .380 and have been considering the P290 for the better ammo.

Just make sure it says RS on the slide.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 9, 2013, 11:21 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

Go for it...

A large shop near me has a sweet deal on a NIB SIG-Sauer P290RS with a laser sight(red) & tritium 3 dot sights, $599.00 USD.
If you want a well made DAK(Double Action Kellerman) SIG for deep concealment, the P290 9x19mm is a good deal.

There are a few 2 tone P290 pistols on www.GunsAmerica.com .

Clyde
Old January 9, 2013, 11:56 PM   #4
TennJed

Love mine. Over 500 rounds with no malfunctions. Conceals very well. Not much bigger dimension wise than the pocket 380s. It is a good bit heavier, but to me that is a good thing. It is not so heavy that it is uncomfortable to carry, but the extra weight makes it actually fun to shoot.

For me i find it more accurate and having less recoil than the Ruger LC9, Taurus 709, and the kel tec P11 and PF9. Last but not least the DOA trigger in it is really, really good
Old January 9, 2013, 11:57 PM   #5
Yung.gunr

I really want one. I got a P238 but the Wife claimed that and gave me her LC9. I have not even been able to find one at any shops to check it out. I have heard only good things about the updated RS model.

I would go for it... 9mm in such a small package...

Dang Tenn... now I really want one with you saying less recoil than the LC9. That's why my wife took my P238, she hated the recoil of her LC9.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:11 AM   #6
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung.gunr View Post
I really want one. I got a P238 but the Wife claimed that and gave me her LC9. I have not even been able to find one at any shops to check it out. I have heard only good things about the updated RS model.

I would go for it... 9mm in such a small package...

Dang Tenn... now I really want one with you saying less recoil than the LC9. That's why my wife took my P238, she hated the recoil of her LC9.
At one point or another i have owned all 4 of those other 9s I mention. Never could really fall in love with one for carry. I like to shoot my carry gun and those others just were no fun. I have finally settled on a small 9 to carry that is actually a range gun too.

Also another great thing I forgot to mention is the extra 8 rd ext mag.

Sig did a good job with the newer RS models
Old January 10, 2013, 01:22 AM   #7
915A

Yup, I'm picking it up tomorrow. No laser, but I can snag the solid black for mid 4's.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:20 AM   #8
tristar viper

Sig did a wonderful job with the RS model.....I have been researching these guns and it's good. I love the way it feels, and looks, and I just bet it's an accurate little booger.
Bud's has these guns for pretty cheap....I want the all black model (290RS-9-BSS) with no laser, and they have for $430.....too bad their website is so overloaded with traffic that you can't even place an order.
And to me this Sig feels like you can take it to the range every weekend. It feels like it's built well enough to actually shoot regularly without the fear of wearing something out. Some of these other pocket size guns feel like fragile little toys....not the 290 though.
I was told that right now if a dealer orders one of these it's a very long wait...does anyone know if that's true? I am aware that currently guns are a hot item, but this is really not that popular of a pistol, so I find it hard to believe there aren't plenty of these in a warehouse someplace...
Old January 10, 2013, 12:57 PM   #9
915A

well I missed out on the one the shop had, went back and it was gone. But I am gonna have them order one.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Que

My P290 is not an RS. It was an earlier one that had to go back to SIG as the hammer would fall short of the firing pin. The pistol came back with an "upgraded" trigger. Function is 100% and I find the trigger to be just fine. The RS feature is not important to me as my training is tap-rack.

This pistol is starting to get some of the respect that it deserves.
Old January 11, 2013, 08:59 AM   #11
AdrianVall

I've been toying around with the idea of selling my Sig P938 to fund a P290.. there's a couple things I don't like about the 938 that is making me consider the trade.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy via Tapatalk
Old January 11, 2013, 11:33 AM   #12
915A

I was close to a 938, but after checking out the 290rs that changed.

Last edited by 915A; January 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:51 AM   #13
AdrianVall

Aesthetically, I love the 938 WAY more, but functionally, I get the feeling I'd like the 290 more.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:16 PM   #14
chaim

I have a P290RS and I absolutely love it. I am a revolver guy, so I actually like the long, somewhat heavy, but butter smooth DAO trigger. It is probably the most comfortable of the mini-9mm's to shoot (I have shot the PM9 my best friend used to own pretty extensively, I've rented a Kel Tec P11 a few times, and I own a Kel Tec Pf-9). It has been 100% reliable with a variety of ammo through it. It is far more accurate than any gun this size has a right to be. With the 6 round mag it can be pocketed (it is just barely light enough), and with the 8 round mag I feel quite well protected with 8+1 rounds of 9mm Hornady Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dots which completely disappear in a tuckable IWB holster. It used to be that when I was in a state that I could carry on my UT permit that I'd carry one (or two) of my .38spl snubs about 80% of the time, but since I've had enough rounds through this gun to be confident in it my P290 is the only gun I've taken with me for CCW.