The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 21, 2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Gary Slider

WI & Who They Will Honor, NM Drops MN, NC Changes Coming, Image

Wisconsin will be Shall Issue on 11/1/11 and those with a permit/license from the following states can carry in Wisconsin. Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands.

WI DOJ did not allow any applications until 11/1/11 so it can be up to 45 days for the first permit/licenses to be issued. DOJ has 45 days to issue Permit/Licenses applied for in the first 30 days and after December 1 they have 21 days to issue the Permit/License.

New Mexico DPS has removed Minnesota from the list of states it honored. They told me via email that they are still checking with Minnesota. Will have to wait and see on that. NM always has been slow about updating anything on their website and seems slow at doing anything.

On 12/1/11 North Carolina’s new law goes into effect. They will honor all other states permit/licenses at that time. The new law allows carry in State Parks and removes Financial Institutions as a place off limits in the law. They have also added specific Parking Lot Possession Laws. They are very specific and you need to read the NC page at www.handgunlaw.us and check the NC AG’s FAQ’s etc for more info on their parking lot storage laws.

I am still hearing that Michigan and Maine are talking about reciprocity. Louisiana has informed me that New Mexico has contacted them. So things are looking up even though NM removed MN from their list.

I am hearing that Idaho has changed their format for their Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons. If they have Handgunlaw.us would like to have a scan of the new format. Handgunlaw.us is still looking for Images of The following: PI’s Permit to Carry in Hawaii, Guam Registration Card and or Permit to Carry, Puerto Rico Permit/License or Registration Card and U.S. Virgin Islands Permit/License to Carry and/or their Registration Card. If you redact info on the Permit/License if you would Please leave at least One Capitol Letter, One Lower Case Letter, and at least one number in each line so I know the font used and the font size. A description of each line would be greatly appreciated. Like the Permit/License # is in this format AA243566 or 342565A showing the number of letters and numbers. Same with the name/Address/etc in all caps or what is in all caps etc. Back ground images on the permit/license are the hardest things to rebuild. I completely rebuild the image using my name and change all items so that no one can gather any useful information from them.

You can send emails to [email protected]

Thank you for any assistance you can give Handgunlaw.us on Images.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old October 23, 2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Gary Slider

I talked to Louisiana and they stated that Wisconsin had contacted them requesting info on their laws and wanting reciprocity. It may be that the states not listed have not gotten back with them yet. This is what makes the most sense to me. I believe that WI will add more states as they are contacted by the other states. I do know a few states are very slow at responding to anyone.
Old October 23, 2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Gary, on the format change in Idaho permits, can you say when this was/is supposed to happen?

I compared mine with what you have on the PDF, and there is a bit of difference, but not enough to matter.
Old October 23, 2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Gary Slider

Al, A guy told me that they changed and my image was the old one. His looked different. I was told this on a chat board and not in an email. I contacted him via PM on that forum but heard nothing back. But I have to say I miss PM's also as I visit a ton of boards.
Old October 25, 2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Gary Slider

Heard back from two more states that are looking at Wisconsin. Montana will most likely honor Wisconsin. New Mexico is looking also. I have heard more from New Mexico in the last month than I have in the last 10 years. But do believe that WI will add more states as they have not heard back from all the states on their inquiries about their laws etc. When they do hear back they will then make the decision on honoring them or not but again I think the WI list will grow.
Old October 26, 2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Jo6pak

Nice to see that all of our neighbors will honor our CCW permits....except IL of course
Old October 27, 2011, 08:25 AM   #7
Scimmia

Quote:
Nice to see that all of our neighbors will honor our CCW permits....except IL of course
Unfortunately, neither MN or IL will honor your permits. Iowa and Michigan will, though.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:46 AM   #8
Patriot86

Looks like I will be taking the Utah CCW Class afterall, then I can atleast CC when I am up in Wisconsin....damned Illinois, to quote my Hero "damn you all to hell!"

Gonna have to read up on that

Last edited by Patriot86; October 27, 2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old October 27, 2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Jo6pak

Quote:
Unfortunately, neither MN or IL will honor your permits. Iowa and Michigan will, though.
Oops, read that first paragraph wrong. Thanks for the heads up
Old October 28, 2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Gary Slider

Just as I thought. WI has added Montana and Montana and Pennsylvania have added Wisconsin to their lists. I think there will be many more additions to the WI list as the states contact WI letting them know exactly what their laws state.
Old October 31, 2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Gbro

Quote:
I was reviewing the WI statute and I can see where MN will look hard at WI.
Quote:
C. Training requirement
What kind of training is required to get a license?In an application for a license, an individual must include proof of having received firearm training. The proof of training requirement may be met by any of the following:
A copy of a document, or an affidavit from an instructor or organization that conducted the course or program, that indicates that the individual completed any of the following (but see note below):
The hunter education program established by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) or a substantially similar program that is established by another state, country, or province and that is recognized by DNR.• A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors.
• A firearms safety or training course that is available to the public and is offered by a law enforcement agency
• A firearms safety or training course that is taught by an instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or by an instructor certified by DOJ, and that is available to the public and offered by any of the following: a technical college, a college or university, a private or public institution or organization, or a firearms training school.
• A firearms safety or training course that is offered to law enforcement officers or to owners and employees of licensed private detective and security agencies.
• A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a firearms instructor who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors or who is certified by DOJ.
It also states;
Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: DOJ is currently in the rule-making process and is evaluating what information will be required on the certificate to substantiate proof of training. We will not have specifics until the rule-making process is complete.
Now to what I read of this, if a person recieved this DNR Firearms training at 12 years of age and still has the certificate he/she will be qualified.

That exact level was the requirement in MN prior to the Shall Issue, when the permit was on the good-old-boy system and only good for 1 year.
Our training requirement is for handguns and is good for 1 year, meaning if one was to take a CCC and not apply within that year that person would have to get a new training certificate in the same manner as the old to apply.
When we renew our 5 year Shall Issue CCP we have to have a new training certificate each time.
MN will not recognize what is there.

Last edited by Gbro; October 31, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old October 31, 2011, 04:06 PM   #12
Scimmia

Quote:
That exact level was the requirement in MN prior to the Shall Issue, when the permit was on the good-old-boy system and only good for 1 year.
Our training requirement is for handguns and is good for 1 year, meaning if one was to take a CCC and not apply within that year that person would have to get a new training certificate in the same manner as the old to apply.
When we renew our 5 year Shall Issue CCP we have to have a new training certificate each time.
MN will not recognize what is there.
Not only that, but Wisconsin does not require range training, only a classroom safety class. MN not only requires training for their own permits, but requires that any permit they honor require range training, so there's no way they're going to recognize WI under the current laws. There was a provision for universal recognition in the stand your ground bill introduced in the last legislative session, but the leadership claimed they ran out of time and the bill went nowhere. Supposedly they're going to try again the the next session.
Old October 31, 2011, 05:22 PM   #13
Gbro

From what I understand, the non-resident Utah permit dosen't have the range requirment either but is still recognized in MN.
As for New Mexico giving MN the boot, well there are several distinct differences, like FINGER PRINTING, Class and Calibre of carry weapon and while MN can carry in a ETOH establisment NM is very restricted.
Good Luck WI !
Old October 31, 2011, 08:14 PM   #14
Gary Slider

I now believe the catch in WI law that the DOJ is using is that there has to be two checks on the person. Most states only run one type of check. They added this on their last update as they were catching a lot of flack. Here is what is on the DOJ Page at
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/...ealedCarry.asp

Out-of-state Licenses Recognized in Wisconsin

Under s. 165.25(12m), Wis. Stats., DOJ is required to establish a list of states that issue a license to carry a concealed weapon, if that license requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background search that is comparable to the type of background check that DOJ is required to conduct for Wisconsin licensees. The Wisconsin background check includes two components: (1) a criminal history record search; and (2) a search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS) operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Any person who is at least 21 years of age, who is not a Wisconsin resident,* and who holds a valid concealed carry license issued by any of the states on DOJ’s list will be recognized in Wisconsin as an out-of-state licensee, per s. 175.60 (1)(g).

DOJ has now promulgated an administrative rule, Wis. Admin. code s. Jus 17.13, under which DOJ will maintain on this website a list of all states that DOJ has found to conduct background checks comparable to Wisconsin’s. In developing that list, DOJ determined that a background check is comparable to Wisconsin’s only if it includes both a criminal history record search and a NICS search. It is necessary to require inclusion of NICS because that database includes some data related to potential disqualifying conditions that is not included in other national background check databases or in databases operated by individual states.

In establishing this list, DOJ has tried to be as inclusive as possible and has communicated with officials in every other state to obtain information about their background check laws and policies. This list is current as of 10/26/11:

Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands